PDA

View Full Version : Post Office General Delivery question

eghama
11-13-2012, 22:51
If you have a box sent General Delivery and get to the post office ahead of your box, or say you get to the post office after closing on Saturday and don't want to wait around until Monday morning, what happens to the box? Can you get it sent up the trail? Just wondering.

Mountain Mike
11-13-2012, 23:11
Yes, carry a forwarding address card with you for occasions like this. You can pick one up at any PO. It's a good idea to drop one off at every PO you go to in case someone sends you something.

Sly
11-14-2012, 00:29
Yes, carry a forwarding address card with you for occasions like this. You can pick one up at any PO. It's a good idea to drop one off at every PO you go to in case someone sends you something.

Yup, just make sure the forwarding PO is well up the trail or back to your supply person.

You'll also want to use Priority Mail (free flat rate boxes are best) , otherwise you'll be paying postage for the forward.

Dogwood
11-14-2012, 02:04
I usually, about 85 % of the time, send my gear/resupply boxes via USPS Priority Flat Rate to General Delivery. I've aways been allowed to forward them once or twice for no added charge this way by just calling the PO where I've originally sent the box. If I have a postal employee on the phone that says they can't do this I remind them of their own policies allowing this service or go into any PO show them my I.D. and have that PO employee call the PO where I originally sent the box to forward it. You sometimes have to verify that you are the owner of the box to forward it. It's often easier or necessary to do a forward in person. You could also call the PO where you sent the box and explain your position. I've had several post offices set my package outside somewhere so I could pick it up after hours. I've had PO employess do this in VA on the AT, in VT on the Long Trail, and in CO on the CT. I've also had one PO employee bring me my box after they left work! Most PO employess, IF YOU ASK/BEHAVE RESPECTFULLY AND CORDIALLY and explain your situation, will try to work with you.

Dogwood
11-14-2012, 02:08
BTW, I've had EXTREMELY reliable service with the USPS when mailing my boxes this way and acting cordially. If I recall correctly, I've only had two maybe three issues, of not getting my box on time in the well over 100 I've sent this way!

eghama
11-14-2012, 15:26
Very helpful advice. Thank you Mountain Mike, Sly and Dogwood.

Jeff
11-14-2012, 17:16
Many hikers are shipping resupply boxes to hostels and outfitters in order to have 24/7 access.

The down side is you cannot take advantage of the "free" forwarding provided by the Post Office. The other issue is that not all hostels hold your package in a secure area.

cliffordbarnabus
11-15-2012, 13:51
never had a problem fwd'ing my priority mail boxes. i just slap a sticker on it with new address and write PLEASE FORWARD. po's, hostels, whatevers. maybe i've been lucky