PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with a teenager

Camel2012
11-14-2012, 02:58
I was part of the 2012 class, and made it to Smithsburg, Md. I plan to return this year to hike again starting in Ga.
I'm bringing my 14 year old son with me. He is excited to do a thru-hike as well.

Anyone who has hiked with there teenage child, my question is, what was the good, bad, and the ugly of there hike? How did your hike go, and what advice would you give me?

Sugarfoot
11-14-2012, 09:01
I took my 13-year old nephew out several years ago. What I learned was to figure the food I thought I needed for the two of us and then double it. Little guy was a food vortex.

Sherpa Master
11-14-2012, 09:52
I have done several trips with my 13,11,&10 year old boys and absolutely plan on extra food at the dinner meal. Don't over pack them, make sure they pack their own pack so he knows where everything is, carry a few extra band aids. The biggest tip I can give you for an enjoyable trip with your son at that age is - he's doing a very adult trip of that length - be a backpacking buddy on the trail and not so much Dad. My son and I have shared some very memorable moments when I did this. Remember to let him hike his own hike some.

Camel2012
11-14-2012, 13:01
The extra food makes complete sense. I planned to start out helping him pack the food he needs, and then slowly let him start deciding what and how much he wants to carry.
We have hiked together, but mainly hikes, or hiking from a base camp. He hasn't hiked any real distance with a pack. I'm planning to take it real slows early, and we'll probably just shelter jump for the first month before we start kicking up the miles. I will let him set or pace, especially early on. I don't want to burn him out in the first month.
Also, I would like to take him on some side trips along the way: battlefields, DC, NY... Thinking this cam break up the grind, and add to his experience.
One of the things i was curious about, was how average teenagers held up mentally after being on the trail for a while?

ChinMusic
11-14-2012, 13:53
Balls has successfully thru-hiked the PCT and the AT with his daughter (Sunshine). They are planning on the CDT next year. His facebook page is: http://www.facebook.com/#!/ericballs.gjonnes

His trail journal for the AT is: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=371693

His daughter is younger than your son but I think he could answer I lot of questions we may not think of.

MedicineWoman2012
11-14-2012, 13:59
I hiked quite a bit with a lil guy and a teenager but rarely at the same time because my teenager wasnt as compliant or on task as maybe he needed to be ...he wasn't very good at understanding the bear rules were not my rules but the rules of the trail and being defiant was part o his disposition at that time. He worked that problem out when peers on the trail tried striking up that same set of rules. He didnt quite understand what his limits were with packing his pack. He over filled it several times before realizing it was too much. He has to test it out and determine for himeslf...atleast my son wasnt as capable of understanding what I recommended but understood it better when he tested each theory himself. He was really captivated by the views and the wildlife and he is now a professional photographer and truly appreciates nature! I cant be more satisfied with sharing those many smiles and miles with him.

Pedaling Fool
11-14-2012, 14:00
I guess it depends on what the kid's habits are. In other words if he has spent much of his time on the computer and getting rides to everywhere, never walking than you could be setting him up for a major culture shock. But then again maybe he's a natural and it'll change his life...who knows, only one way to find out. Regardless, be ready for some bitchin', because that's usually a staple of young people...if he starts, just tell him he can walk home :D

keepinitsimple
11-14-2012, 14:13
I have led middle school groups on AT hikes for years as part of an after school environmental science club. Watching the teens reactions was such fun over the years. Tthe bonds formed are priceless. Some have stayed in touch and I give out section maps to the few that have inquired, pointing out where we hiked and slept. Get the young out on the trail, they are the future of the trail. One rule for any trip was no electronics, period. Have fun. I am taking my 6 y/o to Hawk Mtn ( PA) this weekend. We go frequently as a family. Last week he asked me why "do we always stop and go back, what's up ahead?" So he and I are ditching the rest of the fam ( too young) and going back so he can see "what's up ahead".

Feral Bill
11-14-2012, 14:45
Consider that teens are hard on gear, and try to find a working balance between lightness and durability. Quality should be similar to yours.
Get him a pack that fits well and ​is adjustable as he grows.
Make him an active participant in the planning and decision making. Sometimes do things his way, even if you'd rather not.
He'll be missing school, try and build in some learning opportunities beyond hiking. Keep journals, read books as you go, study nature, visit historic sites, etc. Document what you do.
Don't underestimate him. (seems not to be a problem:))
Have fun!

MuddyWaters
11-14-2012, 19:34
I have hundreds of miles with my son, who is 13 now.
Not any different from an adult. He carries all his gear and food, treats his water, etc.
We do share a tent, he prefers that to tenting solo. It saves 1.5lbs for him too.
His gear is same quality as mine.

He misses his xbox though, and online gaming. Gets a little whiny about hard climbs. Hates mice. Not crazy about bears either. Insists on bringing his iphone to stay in touch with world once in a while.

Sherpa Master
11-14-2012, 19:45
The more I thought about my comment about "be a hiking buddy not a dad" the more I thought that I needed to explain this. I involve my son(s) in all parts of the planning and trip. Sometimes it a simple question on the trail like "what do you think" or "hey how about" just like you would an adult friend on the trail. I have been pleasantly surprised by the majority of responses. He feels part of the process and that I'm treating him like an adult. This also improves his skills and knowledge of where we are and what we are doing if something should happen to me. He carries all his own gear and share of the food. We split camp chores just like I would with an adult friend. We all hammock camp so we each carry our own hammock and tarp. Before lunch and at the end of the day where we have an agreed upon goal or stop point I will let him hike ahead (he hikes faster than I do).

MuddyWaters
11-14-2012, 19:59
Oh yeah, explain to them what is kilt is ahead of time. My son just whispered in my ear "Dad, that dude is wearing a skirt! Thats so wrong."

Blissful
11-14-2012, 20:26
I went in 07 with my 16 yr old. I let him do his own pace though there were places I insisted we hike together, like NH and ME. I just let him know which shelter we would be at that night. In town I gave him a little spending money. He helped carry gear and his camp chores were to fetch water and clean the camp dishes. We did stay in a tent together at times but he mostly stayed in shelters. He and I finished the whole trail He calls it the highlight of his teen life (he is 22 now). I have a book coming out about our adventure next year which he also shares his take on things.

chief
11-14-2012, 23:36
Oh yeah, explain to them what is kilt is ahead of time. My son just whispered in my ear "Dad, that dude is wearing a skirt! Thats so wrong."but so true!

Mountain Mike
11-15-2012, 00:08
In todays day & age many teenagers aren't used to life without electronics. They can get board easily on the trail. Make sure he is a part of planning. Involve him in everything. Teach him how to read a map, cook on a stove. One of the highlights of a 100 mile hike with my stepson was our nightly game of Blisters with dice. A small deck of cards can be nice too. Nice part about either option is both light weight options allow you to involve other people you camp with. Another option is a kindle. A cheap $70 one will hold a charge for months & hold plenty for him to read to avoid getting board.

Camel2012
11-15-2012, 22:20
Thanks for all the replies. Many of the things said here, i had already planned. I already told him he will be reading on the trail. I plan to make it as educational as possible, especially things along the trail: wildlife, fauna, flora, ecology, history, etc...
I also plan to take short side trips to visit some historical sites along the way, and told him we could take a couple days in DC.
I had also planned to make him an active partner, not just make him do what i say. I want him to feel this is his trip too, not just mine with him tagging along.

The skirt thing was funny too. Luckily that was taken care of when he looked at my pics from my hike this year.

Camel2012
11-15-2012, 22:22
Oh, and part of the deal of him going is he has to keep a daily journal.

Bronk
11-16-2012, 02:46
The father/son or daughter groups I saw that were having fun were the ones where dad let the kid make a lot to most of the decisions. If the kid wanted to stop, they stopped. If they wanted to keep going, they kept going. And be prepared to pull some clean dry clothes out of your pack when everything they have is dirty and soaking wet. There are many adults who leave the trail because it just ain't fun anymore...this counts double for kids when they are cold, wet, tired and hungry.

wren again
11-16-2012, 06:31
I have led middle school groups on AT hikes for years as part of an after school environmental science club. ...

I lead an "outdoor club" for my 8th graders. We hike on the Ice Age Trail. Every year there are several students who express interest in continued hiking. I do a presentation for our students on my ongoing section hike of the IAT (1/2 way so far - 550 miles), and now about the AT also (just 200 miles). So many students go from the bus, to the school, to home, to Walmart, to..... The only outdoor experience they have is the view through the windows of a car. We also ski and kayak. We've built a small trail in the woods on a hill behind our school. It would be great to learn more about what you do in PA. Still teaching?

JAK
11-16-2012, 07:28
Use the opportunity to learn how to learn, to learn how to teach, to teach how to learn, and to teach how to teach.

wren again
11-17-2012, 06:29
Use the opportunity to learn how to learn, to learn how to teach, to teach how to learn, and to teach how to teach.
I like this.

dornstar
11-17-2012, 12:43
We usually have two teenage hikers with us, so...

#1 Don't overpack them. While they are becoming adults, they simply can't handle the weight like we can and a kid carrying too much weight is not going to enjoy it.

#2 Food, food and more food. They eat a ton. Even my teenage daughter eat more than I do on the trail. My buddy's son is ravenous at the end of the day.

#3 Kids are foolish, so make sure to stress the importance of safety. They wouldn't think twice about poking a snake with a stick or walking off from camp a little too far at night or some other thing that can easily turn into a problem. Don't be overbearing, but make sure they understand that there is a correct way to do things.

burrito
11-17-2012, 15:16
I have found that you get a lot less whining if you let them pack their own gear.
With supervision, of course
Like adults, kids are much more willing to carry a load if they feel ownership for it

Blissful
11-20-2012, 15:47
Oh, and part of the deal of him going is he has to keep a daily journal.

Good luck.
Unless he likes to do that kind of thing...

Rasty
11-20-2012, 16:54
I hike with my 11 year old daughter a few times each year for three day trips. I learned quickly to make sure she is drinking water before becoming dehydrated. She won't drink on her own until it's already a problem. I let her pack her own bag (Within reason) and she mostly carries everything she needs. I will carry the tent, cooking gear, food and my own gear. This spring we had planned to stop after about 12 miles and had camp set up, she got bored and asked to keep going and we did her first 20 mile day.

It's going to suck when I start to slow her down.