PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Hike

skymom
11-14-2012, 09:42
Anyone doing any hiking over Thanksgiving? It's one of the few times hubby and I can get away for several days together to get in any decent mileage. Little one loves to stay with the grandparents and we get some time together.

Studlintsean
11-14-2012, 09:44
Anyone doing any hiking over Thanksgiving? It's one of the few times hubby and I can get away for several days together to get in any decent mileage. Little one loves to stay with the grandparents and we get some time together.

I normally do one with my 4 brothers every year. Not 100% sure about making it this year due to some other things I have going on right now but this is my favorite time of the year to go. Enjoy

FarmerChef
11-14-2012, 10:54
Taking my 5 out for a big section over Thanksgiving. Gonna do 140 miles of southern VA and hit up a Cracker Barrel or something for Thanksgiving dinner along the way.

skymom
11-14-2012, 11:47
Taking my 5 out for a big section over Thanksgiving. Gonna do 140 miles of southern VA and hit up a Cracker Barrel or something for Thanksgiving dinner along the way.

Sounds like fun! Had to cut our trip short last year. Our dog hurt his leg/shoulder so we couldn't risk more miles. Had to have dinner at a waffle house LOL! Hoping to make it up this year.

wornoutboots
11-14-2012, 11:57
I'll be in OKC & I still haven't found any good trails nearby to there? Any suggestions?

FarmerChef
11-14-2012, 12:02
OKC as in Oklahoma City?

wornoutboots
11-14-2012, 12:13
Yes & Sorry, not trying to steal the thread : O ). & is that "5" your family?? I just love hearing families backpacking together!!

FarmerChef
11-14-2012, 12:20
Yup. Me, my wife and 3 of our 4 kids who are old enough to go (youngest 7 and oldest 12).

Cookerhiker
11-14-2012, 13:00
I hiked in Shenandoah NP last year. Thanksgiving Day was my drive-up day, started 5 day hike on Friday. It's a great time of year. Just remember to factor in the early darkness when planning daily mileage.

Seatbelt
11-14-2012, 13:38
Yup. Me, my wife and 3 of our 4 kids who are old enough to go (youngest 7 and oldest 12).

Glad you clarified that, I thought you was talkin' about a "banjo" there for a minute. LOL

skymom
11-14-2012, 15:19
Farmer Chef-
how many miles are your younger ones able to do per day. Our daughter has been hiking since she could walk but we generally stick to day hikes or

FarmerChef
11-14-2012, 17:02
We generally stick to an average of around 18 miles per day with highs of around 26. Twice we've done successive days of 20s (5 each) but it's not something we prefer to do. Being that our daylight hours are so much shorter now, our trip average will be around 15 mpd including a nero on Thanksgiving day. Our youngest is 4 and she generally poops out around 10 miles but can't do that in successive days as the need for naps still requires a break we just can't take on our typical hike. For now, she stays home on our big trips but we'll start taking her once she can manage a moderate back to back day (we'll slow down to accommodate of course). There's no hurry there though she always desperately wants to come on our hikes. We take her out on day hikes to satisfy the urge. :D

skymom
11-14-2012, 19:07
Wow, that's alot of miles for a kid. Kuddos to them for sticking with it!

MuddyWaters
11-14-2012, 19:29
Weather is looking to be perfect. Get out there.

Drybones
11-14-2012, 19:46

You got my spit glands going just thinking about Cracker Barrel turkey and dressing, love that dressing, closest I've found to what mom used to make. You guys have a great time.

Papa D
11-14-2012, 20:51
I've got family obligations until Thursday evening but I plan to be up and out in the woods early Friday morning somewhere, spending Friday and Saturday nights out and return Sunday afternoon - - where are you going to be? I'll probably do something like this if I can get a hitch / shuttle - - if anyone is interested in something along these line, P/M me and let me know.

Friday Park: Rock Gap, NC (Old US 64) to Carter Gap, NC - 12 miles
Saturday: Carter Gap, NC to Plum Orchard Gap, GA - 20 miles
Sunday: Plum Orchard Gap, GA to Tray Gap, GA - 17 miles

HikerMom58
11-14-2012, 20:58
Wow... cool thread. I would love to hike over Thanksgiving weekend... We have family coming from out of town 2 include the 8 month old granddaughter so I will have to wait for another chance. Have fun you all!!

Prime Time
11-14-2012, 22:11
For sure. My wife and I will day hike into the White Mountains Friday and/or Sunday with the final destination dependent upon the weather and forest road closures, yet unknown! Don't forget your hunter orange depending on where you are and where you go. Hike off that Turkey!!!

dink
11-14-2012, 22:18
Used to do the thanksgiving hike on the AT with the sons...now I have the grandkids and my elderly mom to do the family thing with...one day I will get to go again! :)

FarmerChef
11-14-2012, 23:45
For sure. My wife and I will day hike into the White Mountains Friday and/or Sunday with the final destination dependent upon the weather and forest road closures, yet unknown! Don't forget your hunter orange depending on where you are and where you go. Hike off that Turkey!!!

I think I secretly think this is the best part of hiking over a holiday. For most of the year, we stuff ourselves on a holiday and then spend the next 2 months working the pounds back off. :eek: But when we're hiking we can eat as much as we want and walk it back off in a couple of days. Bring on the stuffing!!:banana

WingedMonkey
11-15-2012, 16:51
Dinner is in the bag.

Chicken breast (will be replaced with a smoked turkey leg if I stop at a country grocery), stuffing, loaded mashed potatoes, gravy, banana pudding.
I suppose I could dehydrate some green beans, and throw in some Craisins. Depends on how much time I got.

:sun

Drybones
11-15-2012, 18:27
Dinner is in the bag.

Chicken breast (will be replaced with a smoked turkey leg if I stop at a country grocery), stuffing, loaded mashed potatoes, gravy, banana pudding.
I suppose I could dehydrate some green beans, and throw in some Craisins. Depends on how much time I got.

:sun

Now that there looks like a tasty meal...white wine I assume?

joshuasdad
11-15-2012, 19:02
I WAS going to do Hot Springs to Clingmans, but Sandy may have changed those plans. I'm used to hiking in snow (14 inches in Killington area last Thanksgiving, but not interested in 3 to 4 feet of the stuff. I may just hike around Hot Springs, or head a bit south of the Smokies.

Double Wide
11-15-2012, 19:36
My brother and I are talking about a quick out-and-back if the weather cooperates. Long Hunter State Park here in Nashville has a 6-mile hike to a backcountry campsite along the shore of Percy Priest Lake, and since we both got a bunch of new gear recently, we may do a mini-shakedown on Friday afternoon and come back the next day. I hope we can do it--I've got the itch!

LIhikers
11-16-2012, 00:13
Several years ago my wife and I had a great Thanksgiving, 2 day trip, hiking around in NY's Harriman State Park.
My wife packed up all the traditional holiday foods in freezer bags and we used a pot of boiling water to heat it all up.
Then we relaxed to the sound of rain on a shelter roof.
Perfect!

Firefighter503
11-16-2012, 14:46
I normally do one with my 4 brothers every year. Not 100% sure about making it this year due to some other things I have going on right now but this is my favorite time of the year to go. Enjoy

Damn, is anyone going for sure? Sorry I can't be there this year. Next year I am going to plan to be in the States for Thanksgiving/THC Hike.

Studlintsean
11-16-2012, 15:00
Damn, is anyone going for sure? Sorry I can't be there this year. Next year I am going to plan to be in the States for Thanksgiving/THC Hike.

Pretty sure Pat, Matt, TJ, and friends are going. I am not positive if I can make it with the foster dog (I still need to talk to Jenna about it). If I do go, I am going to get an ankle brace for my left ankle which is still really sore (rolled again at home) and I might take your poles (if I dont buy a set before which I assume is cool). Ill let you know. Pat and Mooch are out right now.

Firefighter503
11-16-2012, 15:13
No problem. Definitely take the poles.

HikerMom58
11-16-2012, 15:32
Several years ago my wife and I had a great Thanksgiving, 2 day trip, hiking around in NY's Harriman State Park.
My wife packed up all the traditional holiday foods in freezer bags and we used a pot of boiling water to heat it all up.
Then we relaxed to the sound of rain on a shelter roof.
Perfect!

Sounds dreamy-I want to Goooo!!!!

Mike2012
11-16-2012, 23:40
Hells yeah! I should be I'm CT or NY by then. Prob eating a pasta bomb and maybe having some red if I can figure out where to buy it up here. HAPPY HIKING!

squirrel1
11-16-2012, 23:53
Last year I wanted to hike Turkey Day while my wife insisted we had to go to her mother's for family dinner. We compromised - I walked to her mother's house. Twelve miles through several small towns and down a number of minor highways. It was fascinating walking this route we had driven so many times - saw things I did not know were there. It took me about 4 hours with a nice stop at Sheetz for soda and snacks. Got there in time to take a quick shower before dinner. Only problem was that my feet and ankles and knees were sore for a week after walking the roadside instead of a nice dirt trail.

rev_sunshine
11-17-2012, 00:05
I'm probably going to be in the Smokies. Our dinner guests cancelled, so we don't have plans. I just pulled out the maps about an hour or so ago. I did Deep Creek trail last month, but it feels like I haven't been out in months.