PDA

View Full Version : Any car rental options near Baxter State Park or surrounding area?

lukabrazi
11-14-2012, 12:08
I'm a teacher planning to hike the AT over the course of two summer breaks. I'll be starting in June so I was planning to hike south from Baxter. I live in North Central PA. I was thinking about my options for getting to the trailhead and wondered if there were any rental car agencies nearby. It would have to be a chain like Avis or Enterprise so I could pick a car up locally and drop it off in Maine where I would be in better shape to hitch or get a shuttle. I have did some internet searches and came up empty handed but it is hard to sort the real info from the advertising that comes up when you search for rental cars. Does the Millinocket airport or any nearby cities have car rentals? Thanks for any help!

oldbear
11-14-2012, 12:46
Try using Bangor International Airport -BGR - as your drop-off airport : you can also get jet service into it

peakbagger
11-14-2012, 16:16
Bangor is the closest for national rental chains. Portland is aboout 120 miles south and has more rental agencies . The number of flights out of Portland are a lot better and the price per ticket is lower. Ypu can also take Amtrak from Portland. Millinocket's airport doesnt have any scheduled service. There are several groups that arrange shuttles from Bangor to Millinocket. You also need to arrange a shuttle from Millinocket to the the park (or hitch). At least one entity has a shuttle and stay deal with a shuttle into the park in the AM.

Jeff
11-14-2012, 17:12
Ask Ole Man at the AT Lodge & Hostel

http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/

lukabrazi
11-15-2012, 08:46
Thanks for the info. This all gives me a great starting place. Looking forward to getting the broad strokes taken care of so I can get down to details.

lukabrazi
11-16-2012, 08:56
Checked into it. Rental from nearby airport to Bangor = $87. Today I will check into my options from Bangor to Baxter.