PDA

View Full Version : Hip Pain from Running, On Trail and Off, But Not from Hiking

Driver8
11-14-2012, 14:55
Hi everyone. Out of the frying pan, into the fire. Used to be plantar fascitis in my left heel. That receded last winter as I took a couple months off hiking and, after plenty of gym time, returned to trail in February. Now, with better fitness, I've taken up running in the past month.

I really enjoy running, love pushing my limits and increasing my speed and distance, love the runner's high. Big downside which is a brick wall for me: from my first run, I have had hip pain in my left iliac crest area and left hip generally every time the day after my run. I don't get this with walks or hikes, however long or however difficult.

I suspect that the PF from before and the hip pain may be related to an injury to my left heel I incurred in my early 20's. Not sure of all its ramifications and consequences, but believe therein lies the root. I have no problem at all with my right side, even though I had a pretty serious right ankle sprain in early 2005.

So, my question is this: have any of you experienced hip pain, whether in one hip or both? Have you had a problem similar to mine, especially - one side? How did you reckon with it, and were you able to get it to resolve entirely? I've done some reading about hip anatomy and injuries and have some idea about my problem and how to address it, but would very much appreciate hearing from peers here who can speak as the voice of experience.

To be clear, I don't see this injury, any time soon at least, fingers crossed, keeping me off trail, but it does seem to be roadblocking my budding career as a middle-aged runner, much to my frustration.

Praha4
11-14-2012, 15:53
I've had various distance running and hiking injuries over the years. My advice on hip pain on one side is:

a. Go see a good chiropractor who can examine your spine and you can get adjustments and/or therapy.
b. Stretching. You said you're doing distance running, I dont' know what kind of fitness level you are at and/or what kind of stretching you're doing. Stretching is very, very important. Learn all the stretches you can for the low back, hamstrings, quads, calves, achilles tendon, plantar fascia, Illotibial band. They all work together, and any misalignment can affect your hips.
c. Yoga. Try some basic yoga, maybe once weekly. I've been doing yoga once weekly for the last 6 months, and I can say it has helped me more with overall hiking injury prevention than anything else I've tried over the last 10 years. Yoga will help stretch your hip joints, back and legs.
d. Shoes/inserts. You may need some kind of orthotic inserts in your shoes. Try Superfeet Blue or Green inserts. Improper arch support can lead to many foot, ankle and leg problems.

good luck, let us know how youre doing

Driver8
11-14-2012, 16:31
Thanks, Praha. Yoga is definitely on the agenda. Haven't done it since August, will again soon. I have some good superfeet orange, which I like. Haven't used them since getting new running shoes in August, will put them in and see what the result is - I'm doubtful they'll some this problem but of course will be pleased if they do, or if they contribute to a solution. I'm thinking Yoga and swimming will help a lot.

The running, to be clear, is not superlong. I've been running and walking combined, in town, going 4 miles, of which I run 2.5, that sort of thing. Am not yet well-enough conditioned to run longer distances. Needless to say, the hip pain further curbs my distance. To repeat, I have had NO problem from merely walking or hiking, only from running. Did a run/hike last Saturday over an easy, local familiar route, about 9 miles. Ran about 1.5 miles of that on either level or fairly level, graded, even trail. Walked the hillier, rockier parts. Had pretty pronounced soreness in my left hip the next day, worst yet of the 10-or-so outings in which I've run and walked.

I suspect my specific problem, from some reading online, is tendonitis in the iliac crest and perhaps some problem with the IT band rubbing over the hip spur - I forget its technical name.

Thanks for sharing your encouragement and recommendations - I'm with you especially on yoga, with swimming, to boot. I tend to swim more in the winter months, anyway, so it's good timing in that respect.

Pedaling Fool
11-14-2012, 16:55
I've had a lot of pains from running, but never in that spot, actually I do remember one time experincing pain in that area, but it was during a hike. The worst pain I've had was a pulled groin, which involves muscles in the hip, but on the inside. Very painful, even when just sitting around. My fix for the pains of running is to do weightlifting, it really builds up the knees and all the stabilizing muscles.

I'd be careful about stretching; most of us were taught at a very young age to do stretching prior to all activities, but that seems to be bad advice. Stretching is good after an exercise or as a completely separate activity, but not so good just prior to.

These links explain why

http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/dynamic-routine

http://greatist.com/fitness/the-12-biggest-myths-about-stretching/

Blissful
11-14-2012, 20:20
When you say you push your limits, sounds like you have an overuse injury. You never increase run miles but around 10% a week roughly.

Driver8
11-15-2012, 01:12
Hi Blissful:

I had the hip pain with my first run, which was like 1.5 miles amid 4. I don't think it owes to overuse, we're talking a total of 8-10 run/walks in the period of a month, a total of maybe 20 miles of running amid 50 miles of walking and hiking. I appreciate your input in helping me try to figure through this, though. :)

John G:

I kinda agree with you for the same reason. I do intend to do a fair amount of yoga, though. It's done wonders for me over the years, and I've not done it much lately. Time to get back into that groove.

Sapelo
11-15-2012, 07:23
After many years of weighlifting, running and mountaineering, I started experiencing a shooting pain in my left hip. A chiropractor told me it was an IT band problem. Eventually I went to an orthopedic surgeon who told me that I had severe arthritis in my left hip and that the only choice for me was to gut the pain out as long as I could stand it and then get a total hip replacement and take up golf. He sent me to a physical therapist who prescribed all kinds of stretches. The pain only got worse. I started doing research on what my options were. I elected to get a procedure called the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing (BHR) using components produced by a company called Smith and Nephew. My surgeon was great. He did the anterior approach rather than the posterior approach. I recovered very quickly. I was walking without a cane on day 3. I hiked a portion of the Florida Trail within a month. The BHR is somewhat controversial but for me it has worked out great. No physical restrictions and no pain. I am in better shape now than I have ever been. I am not saying that you need hip surgery, but if you do, research the BHR. I would not bet a total hip replacement first.

surfnturk
11-15-2012, 07:54
if your pics are current then you need to lose the stomach, 15-20 lbs? Thqats your problem imo.Walk more, run a bit less till some excess weight comes off. I bet you'll be fine after that.

jimmyjam
11-15-2012, 09:19
Hip pain could also be from a bone spur. I have one on my left hip, none on my right. The pain comes and goes. I would go to an ortho doctor and let him check you out.

solobip
11-15-2012, 12:27
I developed "hip pain". Turned out to be buldge in L5-S1 disk. Hip hurt, leg pain calf pain all on one side, other hip leg fine. Sucks. Gotta see a doc to know for sure, I drug (limped) mine around for 4 months, hiking, biking etc. The sooner you see a doc the better. Physical Therapy - steroids- getting better.

Driver8
11-15-2012, 13:26
Thanks, everyone. I agree with surf that weight is likely a factor. Happily, I've lost 40 lbs, but I can stand to lose another 60. Will go easy on running, as that's been the only thing to trigger problems so far, and hike, walk, elliptical, bike and swim as much as I want. Will run in bits and pieces now and then, trying the superfeet, and look at running more when down another 30 lbs or so. Sapelo and Solo, I will be on the lookout for complications which might point me in the directions you each discuss. Am definitely hoping it's not some lower spinal issue, fingers crossed.

surfnturk
11-15-2012, 14:33
I know that when i add on 2-3 lbs, it always goes to my stomach, it affects my back and I'm a pretty slim guy so I think losing a few lbs could only help. However, therre are a lot of very fit guys, of which you appear to be, that have stomacks and arent effected, but i think that no the norm.

Pedaling Fool
11-15-2012, 16:16
If the IT band is involved this is a good article, but even if it's not, still a good thing to do. http://news.menshealth.com/it-band-syndrome/2012/07/27/

Pedaling Fool
01-19-2013, 17:18
Hi everyone. Out of the frying pan, into the fire. Used to be plantar fascitis in my left heel. That receded last winter as I took a couple months off hiking and, after plenty of gym time, returned to trail in February. Now, with better fitness, I've taken up running in the past month.

I really enjoy running, love pushing my limits and increasing my speed and distance, love the runner's high. Big downside which is a brick wall for me: from my first run, I have had hip pain in my left iliac crest area and left hip generally every time the day after my run. I don't get this with walks or hikes, however long or however difficult.

I suspect that the PF from before and the hip pain may be related to an injury to my left heel I incurred in my early 20's. Not sure of all its ramifications and consequences, but believe therein lies the root. I have no problem at all with my right side, even though I had a pretty serious right ankle sprain in early 2005.

So, my question is this: have any of you experienced hip pain, whether in one hip or both? Have you had a problem similar to mine, especially - one side? How did you reckon with it, and were you able to get it to resolve entirely? I've done some reading about hip anatomy and injuries and have some idea about my problem and how to address it, but would very much appreciate hearing from peers here who can speak as the voice of experience.

To be clear, I don't see this injury, any time soon at least, fingers crossed, keeping me off trail, but it does seem to be roadblocking my budding career as a middle-aged runner, much to my frustration.
How's the hip pain and running going?