PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Pounder

Granger
05-19-2005, 11:06
Does anyone have any experience with this sleeping bag? All the stats seem to be in the right place with the possible exception being stuff size BUT I worry that this is an agressive attempt to get a 1lb 40 degree bag that may be little more then a sheet. Then again, I am not familar with primaloft sport insulation so......

Any comments on this bag would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Granger

http://www.marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=bags&subcat=23&style_id=F2300

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47856917&parent_category_rn=4500657&vcat=REI_SEARCH

BookBurner
05-19-2005, 13:12
I love the weight and have enjoyed Marmot bags in the past. But the Pounder's zipper concerns me. If I buy a 40 degree bag, I intend for it to serve as my late spring / summer bag. With the Ponder's short zipper though, you are forced to sleep in the bag. You can't open it up and drape it over yourself like a quilt on the really warm nights when all you need is just a cover. I don't know your camping or sleeping habits, but if you intend to use this bag during warm summer nights, it might just be too warm with no way of escape!

-- BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

Granger
05-19-2005, 13:28
I love the weight and have enjoyed Marmot bags in the past. But the Pounder's zipper concerns me. If I buy a 40 degree bag, I intend for it to serve as my late spring / summer bag. With the Ponder's short zipper though, you are forced to sleep in the bag. You can't open it up and drape it over yourself like a quilt on the really warm nights when all you need is just a cover. I don't know your camping or sleeping habits, but if you intend to use this bag during warm summer nights, it might just be too warm with no way of escape!

-- BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com (http://www.enlightenedthruhiker.com)

Thanks for the reply BB. Where did you find the zipper length? I wasn't able to find that. My intentions for this bag would be spring and fall. I am looking at this bag to replace a 35 degree down bag that was too hot for me when temps were in the 30's. (that is not why I am replacing it, turns out that I may be allergic to down)

Tramper Al
05-19-2005, 13:30
I actually have one en route from REI, as that seemed like a reasonable use of my 20% off coupon. I can let you know how it looks when I get it, and how it works if I end up keeping it.

What I have read in the past is that 40 degrees may be quite optimistic. I will probably aim to carry this bag only in summer. Me, I think I will be fine with the 1/2 zip. If it is really warm, I sleep on top of the bag with no cover, rather than wanting to open it up and drape it over me.

neo
05-19-2005, 13:31
i looked at one at rei,they have almost no loft or insulation,look more like 60 degree bag to me,i would not buy one:cool: neo

Granger
05-19-2005, 13:32
I just got off the phone with marmot, the rep I spoke to said that the bag is a full zip. Tramper, if you could let me know what you find I would appreciate it.

Granger
05-20-2005, 13:21
well, i finally saw the bag. It does have a full zip which is a HUGE plus for me as I would be using this in both a hammock and a tent. And the stuff sack seems oversized for the bag so it should be resonably easy to get the stuff size smaller without risking damage to the bag. (it ins't good to compress synthetic right?)

However, it is, as Neo mentioned, very thin. My experience with marmot products has always been great but I have never owned one of their sleeping bags so I am not sure if they are being opptimistic with their 40 degree rating. Also, the marmot site claims that the bag comes with a Lightweight compression stuff sack which does not seem to be the case. It looked like a normal, non-compression, stuff sack to me.

Tramper Al
05-26-2005, 07:52
Now I've seen the Marmot Pounder as well - mine arrived from REI recently. I have not decided yet whether I will keep it.

It does indeed have a full zip, and the zipper is of heavier construction than I expected. Maybe that ounce or two could have been better used elsewhere. As expected, it has the appearance of a rather expensive sort of travel bag / liner with a bit more insulation. It unfortunately lacks any sort of pillow pocket - something I have come to really appreciate in my TNF bags, where any extra clothing makes a decent pillow and stays put, for no added weight.

I think the bag does make good use of its 1 pound weight, however, with a proper cinching mummy hood and a decent draft tube. It's only a guess, but looking at it I would expect it to be comfortable for me down to about 45F or 50F degrees, with my usual good dinner and a few dry clothes to wear to bed. Maybe 40F, but I'm not sure. I think my sleeping temp tolerance is about warm to average.

I hope that helps, and no, I still haven't decided if I will keep it. I have a 2 lb (even) 35F TNF Flight bag, and I'm not sure if this purchase (even 20% off) is worth a pound, for use mainly in summer.

It does not look as warm as the TNF Propel, rated at 40F, which I similarly purchased and inspected at home. That one is being returned, as without any side opening at all (zippered or not), I do not think it would be much fun trying to regulate temperature. The Propel with a very lightweight 1/2 to 3/4 zipper would be the ideal 1 lb synthetic bag, in my opinion.

Tramper Al
06-01-2005, 08:47
I have decide to keep my newly purchased Marmot Pounder, and can report back with a field report later on this summer.

I used it indoors with all my windows open, to get some idea of how warm it might be. Down to 50F, wearing just boxers and zipping it only half way up, I was plenty warm. This would translate to quite reasonable at 40F in the field, in my opinion.

Granger
06-22-2005, 11:00
I have decide to keep my newly purchased Marmot Pounder, and can report back with a field report later on this summer.

I used it indoors with all my windows open, to get some idea of how warm it might be. Down to 50F, wearing just boxers and zipping it only half way up, I was plenty warm. This would translate to quite reasonable at 40F in the field, in my opinion.
Keep us posted. I ordered one as well but we just had a baby so it will be some time before I get to use the bag in the field.

-Granger

SloHiker
06-22-2005, 15:36
i looked at one at rei,they have almost no loft or insulation,look more like 60 degree bag to me,i would not buy one:cool: neoSeems like I saw a posting on another Forum about a user that froze his butt of at @ 55 degrees. The passing glance I gave one seems to bear out your observations, neo....not much loft there at all!

Bob Baker
06-22-2005, 21:47
Look at the REI travel sack 55. It is only 6 or so more ounces, only sixty dollars, and has both a full zip on one side and a half zip on another plus a foot zipper, from what I understand. If money isnt an option then look at the western mountaineering ones too.

Panzer1
06-22-2005, 23:12
It's ugly.

Panzer

Footslogger
06-22-2005, 23:26
[QUOTE=Bob Baker]Look at the REI travel sack 55. It is only 6 or so more ounces, only sixty dollars, and has both a full zip on one side and a half zip on another plus a foot zipper, from what I understand.
=======================================
Yes to all the above. This was the bag I carried from Pearisburg to Glencliff. Yeah ...there were a few nights when a 55 degree bag wasn't quite enough but I just put on some extra clothing and got a good night's sleep.

Not the lightest 55 degree bag out there but hard to beat for the bucks.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Tramper Al
07-28-2005, 06:52
Just a little follow-up on the Pounder, which I used for a short Long Trail section last weekend.

It performed very well, and is now my summer bag of choice when the forecast is for warm weather. The only problem is that I have to keep checking my pack to be sure it's in there, since it weighs like a pound and packs very small.