PDA

View Full Version : NOC to Fontana

skymom
11-16-2012, 10:24
Anyone have any input on the NOC to Fontana section? Condition, views, etc...
Looking to knock out that section soon. Had to bail at the NOC on my last trip (dog was hurt) and looking to finish up that section.

thanks!

RED-DOG
11-16-2012, 13:09
The climb from the NOC to Sassafrass Gap shelter there is water there, then on up to cheoah bald it's pretty much a 11 mile climb from the NOC to Cheoah but once you get up their the views are unforgettable, then you go down to Stecoah Gap there is water their, turn right as you reach the parking lot follow forest service road about about 100 yards on left. then the trail moderatly climbs from there, their's a pretty decent climb before Brown fork Gap shelter great water source at shelter, the trail between brown fork and cable gap is decent no really hard ups or downs, then once you leave cable gap shelter there's a climb up to big walker mt, then from there it's down to Fontana Damn once you make it to the Damn you got to go see the Hilton it's one of the best shelter's on the trail, there is water at all the shelter's and no major blow down's, i did this little section couple weekends ago. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 )

Lone Wolf
11-16-2012, 13:23
The climb from the NOC to Sassafrass Gap shelter there is water there, then on up to cheoah bald it's pretty much a 11 mile climb from the NOC to Cheoah

it's only 7.9 miles

RED-DOG
11-16-2012, 13:35
It might only be 7.9 but it feels like 11 or 15.

Kerosene
11-16-2012, 13:55
Note that there is water to the left of the AT (NOBO), and a good number of tent sites, at Locust Cove Gap, 10.5 miles from NOC (I have Cheoah Bald down for 8.1 miles). The 2.4 miles beyond the Bald are quite easy after a quick steep descent.

Note that we found several ticks atop Cheoah Bald in May 2011, but if you do decide to camp up there you can find small, clear Mudcap Spring about half a mile down the mountain (there was a small sign and colored plastic ties to the left of the woods road, not too long after you enter the woods). It's a good climb back up to the AT.

The climb out of Stecoah Gap is moderately steep, and then becomes very steep (but short) a few miles in climbing out of Sweetwater Gap.

Besides that climb, it was a pretty easy 11.6 miles to Cable Gap, with it's tiny shelter and substantial tent space. There is a good stream at Black Fork Gap Shelter, about halfway.

The remaining 6.9 miles to Fontana Dam was surprisingly rocky relative to the AT to the south. The soda machine was sold out at the Marina, but there is a rest room and water spigot available.

Consider using The Hike Inn for a shuttle, in which case you can keep your car at the Inn.

skymom
11-16-2012, 14:31
Thanks for the input! Can't wait to get out in the woods!

skymom
11-16-2012, 14:35
It might only be 7.9 but it feels like 11 or 15.

on the profile trail it looks like it would feel like 11+ :)

brian039
11-16-2012, 14:56
If the weather is nice I like to haul water up to Cheoah Bald and camp there. It's a great location for a sunset but not so nice if it's cold and windy. It's a pretty tough section of trail but nice. The guidebook doesn't show it but there are 3 little climbs between the marina and the dam, it's not a big deal if you know they're coming but they took me by surprise once because I was in "it's all downhill from here shutdown mode".

Whack-a-mole
11-16-2012, 15:30
Brian- Thanks for that little tip. It's funny how our minds can too stuff like that to us. I'll be doing this section in the next couple months.

Astro
11-16-2012, 17:19
If the weather is nice I like to haul water up to Cheoah Bald and camp there. It's a great location for a sunset but not so nice if it's cold and windy. It's a pretty tough section of trail but nice. The guidebook doesn't show it but there are 3 little climbs between the marina and the dam, it's not a big deal if you know they're coming but they took me by surprise once because I was in "it's all downhill from here shutdown mode".

I swung by the Marina and bought a gatorade and ice cream sandwich. After a few days in the woods that picked me us so much I did not even really notice the "3 little climbs".

ChinMusic
11-16-2012, 17:44
The guidebook doesn't show it but there are 3 little climbs between the marina and the dam, it's not a big deal if you know they're coming but they took me by surprise once because I was in "it's all downhill from here shutdown mode".

It's funny how so many comment on those "3 little climbs". They are nothing on the grand scheme of things but I had the same reaction. I was in I'm-done mode once I hit the Marina.

Creek Dancer
11-16-2012, 17:48
It's funny how so many comment on those "3 little climbs". They are nothing on the grand scheme of things but I had the same reaction. I was in I'm-done mode once I hit the Marina.

I remember thinking exactly the same thing. And it was at the end of a 16 mile day for me, half of which was through the snow. Man, what a trip that was!