PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend a few weeks in the woods near Los Angeles

jswadley
11-17-2012, 19:03
Hi friends, I'm a longtime reader of the AT forums and AT section hiker. I need to spend a few weeks in the wilderness, and I'd greatly appreciate your help.

I need some solitude, some warmer weather, and a healthy dose of whatever it is we find when we find ourselves in the woods. It's been a long November here in New England, and as the days get shorter the winter grows longer still. I'm a doctoral student, so I have three weeks of January to myself, and I need to spend them recalibrating almost everything, it seems.

So here's the question: where are the best trails close to LA where I can just wander for a few weeks in January? Just pitch a tent and just exist, just be traceless for awhile? Ideally not too far from provisions. I'm asking about LA because I can get cheap flights there and back.

I've read you can get to Acton on a train from LA and walk a bit to get to the PCT, which sounds appealing. Are there better options?

I'm immensely grateful for your aid.

SassyWindsor
11-17-2012, 21:24
http://www.trails.com/

jswadley
11-17-2012, 21:35
Haha, thanks SassyWindsor... I've already done a good amount of searching.

I'm asking here because of the PCT expertise, hoping a few of you have some idea of the sort of place I'm talking about. So far, the search engines don't have the perfect setting for "several weeks but not a thru hike, remote, but close enough." :)

This trip is going to be an important one; that's why I'm asking for help.

-Jason

Cro-Mag
11-17-2012, 21:48
San Bernardino Mountain range could be a possibility for you. The PCT goes through there and continues onto the San Gabriel Mountains, if heading North (actually West at that point). You are going to hit snow in higher elevation areas, which the PCT pretty much stays in.

If you need help, I'd be happy to lend you some trail magic by helping you get places. Feel free to email me/send a PM.

-Michael