PDA

View Full Version : Turned in my notice at work this week.

Zippy Morocco
11-17-2012, 19:43
I turned in my notice letting my company know that I will be leaving to hike the Appalachian Trail. My last day of work will be January 15. We will be leaving Montana on the last day of January and heading to Georgia. We will spend a month or so visiting family and friends (Georgia is my home place) before waiting for a warm break in the weather to head out on the trail. Ann first announced to me three years ago in a note, "Let's hike the AT in 2013". Now it's almost here. Wow.

This is 12 years after my first Section hike of the AT (Springer to Troutville). Later ann and I sectioned Troutville to Luray and then Luray to Harper's Ferry. When we moved out west section hikin the AT gave way to western hikes until one day... Let's hike the AT!

bert304
11-17-2012, 19:57
Good for you. I hope you have a great time.

Old Hiker
11-17-2012, 21:15
Keep us posted. It's 3 years until my next try and seems forever. I'm glad it was quick for you.

HikerMom58
11-17-2012, 21:21
Cool story... have fun!!! :)

Josh Calhoun
11-19-2012, 10:27
good luck! might see you out there

Jeff
11-19-2012, 10:43
You posting an online journal of your hike ???

bannerstone
11-19-2012, 12:35
I think that's great that even after moving west and being exposed to all that amazing back country that you are still drawn to come back east and hike the AT. I wish you every success!

David

Porkroll
11-19-2012, 19:45
Wow, that's gutsy! I wish I could do that, but I just can't imagine having the cajones to pull it off! I have 10 years until I can retire, so I will section hike for the time being, with the goal of a thru hike in 10 years. Good luck, and keep us posted, I'd love to hear how it goes.

"Atlas"
11-21-2012, 11:45
Great dedication to an ideal and what a show of love between you and Ann. I recently found out about Couchsurfer.com and it may be an even great element to this next adventure in your life. I am excited about heading back out on the trail this Spring and am using Couchsurfers to help make the experience even better and cheaper, especially since I am doing the Trail on limited funds.

What was the verdict about an online journal for the trip?

RED-DOG
11-21-2012, 11:56
Good Luck and i hope you make it.

Don H
11-21-2012, 18:29
Good Luck! Have fun and stay safe.

T-Rx
11-21-2012, 19:09
Good luck. Hope you make it to Maine.

Hairbear
11-21-2012, 20:54
see you on the trail.

Zippy Morocco
11-22-2012, 18:19
Thank you for all the nice comments. I do plan on having a journal. I will post it when I start. It's gonna be fun!

Lumberjack2003
12-02-2012, 16:11
I still remember the look my boss gave me when I told him I was leaving to hike the AT. He thought I was kidding and asked me again the next day.

greenmtnboy
12-04-2012, 18:22
Congratulations! And it takes a lot of maturity to give long notice instead of telling them to take the job and shove it!

mgspea00
12-04-2012, 19:25
I turned in my notice letting my company know that I will be leaving to hike the Appalachian Trail. My last day of work will be January 15. We will be leaving Montana on the last day of January and heading to Georgia. We will spend a month or so visiting family and friends (Georgia is my home place) before waiting for a warm break in the weather to head out on the trail. Ann first announced to me three years ago in a note, "Let's hike the AT in 2013". Now it's almost here. Wow.

This is 12 years after my first Section hike of the AT (Springer to Troutville). Later ann and I sectioned Troutville to Luray and then Luray to Harper's Ferry. When we moved out west section hikin the AT gave way to western hikes until one day... Let's hike the AT!

I gave my 90 day retirement notice on 11/1. Although I'd mentioned hiking the AT, she thought I was joking. She couldn't understand why anyone would want to leave such a "great" job and spend any time in the woods much less for 5 months (ewww).

Best of luck!!!

greenmtnboy
12-04-2012, 22:59
I gave my 90 day retirement notice on 11/1. Although I'd mentioned hiking the AT, she thought I was joking. She couldn't understand why anyone would want to leave such a "great" job and spend any time in the woods much less for 5 months (ewww).

Best of luck!!!

They think you will be coming back begging for your old job back....when hell freezes over...

Seldomseen
12-07-2012, 22:02
There hasn't been a day since I finished the trail that I haven't thought about doing the same thing with work. And that was 15 years ago. Have fun!

magic_game03
12-08-2012, 22:04
Hot damm, I smell freedom in the air! Go get 'em Zippy.

Zippy Morocco
01-11-2013, 21:30
I am officially unemployed! Now it's time to begin sorting through our stuff. We will be leaving Montana in three weeks then spend a month visiting family before our early March departure from Springer. It's getting very real now.

RedRunnerJumper
01-12-2013, 08:53
Goodluck!!

Coffee Rules!
01-12-2013, 09:12
Best of luck, and HAVE FUN!

Karma13
01-12-2013, 09:19
Montana's really representing this year. I'm starting with another Montanan on March 7/8.

Best of luck to you! (And I hope you're staying warm. Brrrr.)

Zippy Morocco
01-12-2013, 12:00
Montana's really representing this year. I'm starting with another Montanan on March 7/8.

Best of luck to you! (And I hope you're staying warm. Brrrr.)

Glad to hear there will other Montanans out there. It's 9 degree this morning lots of fresh snow. Lots of happy skiers. Should be good preparation for an early March start. Of course there is the humidity thing which is hard to prepare for.

Train Wreck
01-12-2013, 12:07
Glad to hear there will other Montanans out there. It's 9 degree this morning lots of fresh snow. Lots of happy skiers. Should be good preparation for an early March start. Of course there is the humidity thing which is hard to prepare for.

Camp out in your bathroom for 2 weeks straight before the hike.
Turn your shower on low, keep it running all the time with the door closed.
Now, eat breakfast, lunch, & dinner in there. Put a small tv and bring some books & maybe your laptop so you won't get bored. Sleep in there with your pad, sleeping bag, etc.
The second week, turn the shower temp all the way over to "hot" and continue as before. Raise the thermastat to about 85 degrees. This is about what hiking in the mid-Atlantic will feel like in July.
enjoy...:D

coolness
01-13-2013, 18:23
Good 'ol Johnny Paycheck!!

Congratulations! And it takes a lot of maturity to give long notice instead of telling them to take the job and shove it!

Enjoy your hike Zippy!! Wishing I was going......