PDA

View Full Version : ULA pack repair.

Dogwood
11-17-2012, 21:25
I'll contact ULA on monday with the same question but I seek opinions on how to repair tears up to four inches long in the fine mesh rear shovel pocket of a current yr ULA CDT pack. I've tried Tenacious Tape, Gear Aid, etc and don't want to glob up the mesh with Seam Grip if I don't have to. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Blissful
11-17-2012, 21:33
Sure Chris at ULA will give suggestions.

Rocket Jones
11-17-2012, 21:40
Stitch with heavy thread?

wcgornto
11-17-2012, 22:04
Stitch with heavy thread?

This is what I did to repair holes in the mesh pockets of my SMD Starlyte pack put there by Mahoosuc Notch. I bought thick cord at the Walmart in Gorham, NH and performed the repairs during a zero day. After tying off the ends of each repair, I used a lighter to burn the ends of the nylon cord so that it would not fray. This repair took me the remaining 1900 miles of the AT and is still holding today.

lonehiker
11-18-2012, 01:44
My guess is that Chris will repair for free. I have returned a pack to him And he has repaired for free no questions asked.

Northern Lights
11-18-2012, 12:06
I'll contact ULA on monday with the same question but I seek opinions on how to repair tears up to four inches long in the fine mesh rear shovel pocket of a current yr ULA CDT pack. I've tried Tenacious Tape, Gear Aid, etc and don't want to glob up the mesh with Seam Grip if I don't have to. Any suggestions? Thanks.

can you let me know what you come up with. My ULA has a small tear in the mesh too. I don't want to put anything in that section for fear of it ripping more.

daddytwosticks
11-18-2012, 16:24
Had a short section of pocket mesh tear away from the edging tape. Just got some black nylon thread and stitched away on my 4 y/o Conduit. It only took me about 10 minutes. This included the time it took to track down my wife's sewing kit and stabbing myself silly several times with the needle. :)

MuddyWaters
11-18-2012, 21:02
Im sure he will repair it.
A repair, is different from a re-build though.
Dont expect to rip it all apart, replace the mesh with new, and sew it all back together.
It might happen, but dont expect it when a serviceable repair is just that, fine and serviceable.

Mpd1690
11-18-2012, 22:36
If the rip is not too messy, you could stitch the hole like a button hole. That should stop the rip from spreading. Then you could sew a mesh patch over the top.