PDA

View Full Version : Cotton in camp?

Pendragon
11-17-2012, 23:51
OK, I know that "cotton kills" and that breathable synthetics are best worn while hiking, but what about your "camp clothes", those extra warm and clean extras you keep dry for sleeping; Any reason why you can't wear a nice warm mostly cotton sweat shirt and/or pants, considering that if THEY get wet, you probably are already in big trouble? Or is it best to stick with polyester fleece (or similar if you can find it) if you need it to supplement your day wear for some reason. I'm talking about April on the Southern AT when the night temps can dip below freezing and you can still get hit with a snow storm. I am trying my best to keep my pack weight down but I have no intention on flirting with hypothermia if I can help it. And I'm already pretty low on body fat so I might be sleeping cold to start with.......I used to live in Alaska, so I once thought freezing was t-shirt weather, but after 20 odd years in Florida I've been ruined in that regard. Thoughts? :-?

jakedatc
11-18-2012, 00:35
Fleece and synthetics tend to be lighter and will dry out if they do get wet. I don't bring stuff that can't be used all the time. Short sleeve, long sleeve, insulation layer, rain/wind layer. the only thing i keep "extra" is a light pair of socks for sleeping in.

Bronk
11-18-2012, 02:42
There will be times when everything in your pack will be wet. Just a fact. Plus, you want your stuff to all be multifunctional. If you have a cotton tshirt or pair of shorts in your pack, you're going to end up wearing them while hiking. Circumstances will just make that happen. Best to only carry the stuff you can use all the time.

moytoy
11-18-2012, 03:15
If I'm looking for something natural to stay warm I wear wool. But I do use a cotton T in the summer. More times than not I wet it on purpose.

Karma13
11-18-2012, 06:42
You don't even have to sweat in it: a cotton shirt, even the lightest weight cotton, will feel damp just from being in the humid air. And it will never ever dry.

For a day hike or for a short trip, I don't mind wearing a regular cotton tee shirt. But for a thru-hike, I'm not taking cotton. Although technical tees are as soft as cotton; they just don't suck in humidity like cotton does.

My two cents! :)

chiefduffy
11-18-2012, 06:47
Unfortunately, I agree with all the above. I did have cotton comfort clothes in my bounce box. What a wonderful feeling to wander around town in old jeans and a flannel shirt on zero days!

Tipi Walter
11-18-2012, 08:07
There will be times when everything in your pack will be wet. Just a fact.

This is just not true unless it's a newb and he's completely unprepared. If it were true I would have had to replace my nice digital camera a couple times a year and would end up carrying a drenched Western Mountaineering sleeping bag---which IS NOT going to happen.

Dr. Professor
11-18-2012, 08:44
My sleep clothes get recruited into cold weather gear.

Creek Dancer
11-18-2012, 08:48
The problem with wearing cotton for sleeping in a humid climate is that the cotton will absorb the night air and make you chilly. I found that out the hard way. Cotton probably works better where the air is dryer.

yellowsirocco
11-18-2012, 09:25
if you want natural fibers then wool is the better choice.

swjohnsey
11-18-2012, 09:30
I don't have any camp clothes. I sleep in what I hike in. When it is cold I also wear my 100 wt fleece tops and bottoms if I have 'em. If not I wear my rain/wind shell.

Raymond James
11-18-2012, 09:35
I would not use cotton for camping/outdoor use. Other fabrics are lighter/warmer. Look for sales, drop big hints around anyone likely to buy you a gift.

Pedaling Fool
11-18-2012, 09:44
OK, I know that "cotton kills" and that breathable synthetics are best worn while hiking, but what about your "camp clothes", those extra warm and clean extras you keep dry for sleeping; Any reason why you can't wear a nice warm mostly cotton sweat shirt and/or pants, considering that if THEY get wet, you probably are already in big trouble? Or is it best to stick with polyester fleece (or similar if you can find it) if you need it to supplement your day wear for some reason. I'm talking about April on the Southern AT when the night temps can dip below freezing and you can still get hit with a snow storm. I am trying my best to keep my pack weight down but I have no intention on flirting with hypothermia if I can help it. And I'm already pretty low on body fat so I might be sleeping cold to start with.......I used to live in Alaska, so I once thought freezing was t-shirt weather, but after 20 odd years in Florida I've been ruined in that regard. Thoughts? :-?
Yes you can :)

rusty bumper
11-18-2012, 09:50
Camp clothes and hiking clothes are one in the same for me. The only cotton I carry is a bandanna.

Sarcasm the elf
11-18-2012, 09:54

One of my hiking buddies swears by bringing a cotton "Life is Good" shirt and pair of cotton boxers to sleep in during section hikes. According to him they are the only thing that are warm and comfortable enough for him to get a good night's sleep, and since he only wears them in his sleeping bag they are easy enough to keep dry. Personally I think he's crazy, but if it works for him then who am I to argue?

The Cleaner
11-18-2012, 11:05
if you want natural fibers then wool is the better choice. +1 for wool.A few years ago it was in July and I had hiked 4 miles up from a campground @2000ft elev. up to an overlook near the AT @ 4000ft.A cold front moved through the day before.It was 58* and my cotton tee shirt was soaked with sweat.A little breeze was blowing and I became very chilled and had to put on another shirt.I never thought you could get hypothermia in July.I wear a wool tee shirt now and wool in camp.When I was out last week the low temp was 30* and there was another hiker at the shelter.He had on 3 synthetic shirts+a jacket and was still cold.I had on 1 Icebreaker 200wt and a Patagonia 9oz Nano Puff pullover and was fine.Do the math.....Wool wicks&works better and after wearing it 3 days,hardly any smell...

brian039
11-18-2012, 11:37
You could carry cotton as camp clothes if you didn't mind carrying the extra weight. There's no reason to worry about them getting wet if you keep your clothes bag wrapped up in a garbage bag and regularly check it for holes. I've never had my sleeping bag or clothes get wet. Just make sure you don't put them on when you're sweaty.

The Cleaner
11-18-2012, 11:48
BTW it seems that wet cotton clothes are something that I frequently find left behind at shelters......:eek:

russb
11-18-2012, 11:54
Amazing how so many backpackers and campers survived for so many years wearing cotton. Most people shy away from the woods during the times when cotton will "kill". In my experience, it isn't the fabric one wears, it is the inexperience, or lack of knowledge by the person outdoors which "kills". some fabrics are better for certain things. Knowing when and how to use them is more important than some catchy slogan used by those who do not understand.

Anyone know the true origin of the adage? IIRC, it was used in a book/pamphlet many many years ago and then was absconded by fabric manufacturers to use as a marketing gimmick.

Northern Lights
11-18-2012, 11:56
I wear my merino wool long johns and long sleeve shirt around camp and then sleep in them. If for some reason it gets really cold on the trail then I use them as my base layer as well. Multifunction is key.

Wise Old Owl
11-18-2012, 12:15
Interesting post RussB I did not know that... Hey if someone wants to pack a t-shirt and I have a few, thats fine... but I think it would be dead weight on the trail for distance hiking. I like the earlier bounce box idea thou.

Pendragon
11-18-2012, 12:25
Thanks for the input, guys!

swjohnsey
11-18-2012, 12:25
Early on cotton was a luxury fabric, not the sort of thing you would wear in the woods.

Wise Old Owl
11-18-2012, 12:44
Im stumped SwJohnsey Here are some indians in the early 1900's wearing cotton in Pennsylvania.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b5/Lenape01.jpg/250px-Lenape01.jpg

jakedatc
11-18-2012, 13:00
Amazing how so many backpackers and campers survived for so many years wearing cotton. Most people shy away from the woods during the times when cotton will "kill". In my experience, it isn't the fabric one wears, it is the inexperience, or lack of knowledge by the person outdoors which "kills". some fabrics are better for certain things. Knowing when and how to use them is more important than some catchy slogan used by those who do not understand.

Anyone know the true origin of the adage? IIRC, it was used in a book/pamphlet many many years ago and then was absconded by fabric manufacturers to use as a marketing gimmick.

they also used oiled canvas tents, hobnailed boots and steel framed packs but that doesn't mean you can't do better.

most cold weather clothing was wool actually. which insulates better when wet and is naturally fire resistant ;)

Spirit Walker
11-18-2012, 13:11
For warmth in spring/fall, you'd do better with synthetic or wool or silk.

I hiked the AT before there were a lot of synthetic hiking clothes and I wore cotton all the time, both tshirts and long pants. It didn't kill me. My long underwear was synthetic, so when it was cold I had on my long johns and I was fine. However, as others have said, it does take longer to dry out than more modern synthetics, so when I'm in a damp climate, I always wear synthetics. For desert dayhiking, I still wear cotton, because I want a fabric that will stay wet with sweat. When doing a long hike though, I'd rather have a tech t because usually they are several ounces lighter than cotton.

Tuckahoe
11-18-2012, 13:53

Exactly...

I enjoy wearing cotton in the summer while hiking.

Slo-go'en
11-18-2012, 14:13
A guy I hiked with in '08 bought a pair of cotton pajama pants early on to wear in camp and in town. When I bumped into him again in Maine, he still had them. So long as you keep coton dry, no big deal. It's only an issue if you try to hike in cotton in the rain. Then you might have a problem.

On one of my first backpacking trips, we went to the ADK high peaks region in the early fall. We meet a Ranger on the way in and he lectured us for at least 1/2 hour about our wearing bluegenes. Besides the usual "dressed for death" issue, his main problem with cotton clothes was the fact that when they get wet, they get heavy and when they get heavy, a lot of people abandon them and he has to hike the wet clothes out. I'm sure you've all seen that on the trail, you could pick up quite the wardrobe of abandoned cotton clothes off the trail if you wanted.

After the Ranger slowed down with his rant about cotton clothes, I finally got to ask him what he thought we should be wearing. Keep in mind this was in 1978 so there weren't any recycled plastic bottle clothes available yet. He pointed to his ranger suite, which was basically a 60/40 nylon-cotton blend, the same as Dickie work clothes. So, as soon as I got home I went and bought myself a ranger suite and wore it for years.

swjohnsey
11-18-2012, 14:35
Im stumped SwJohnsey Here are some indians in the early 1900's wearing cotton in Pennsylvania.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b5/Lenape01.jpg/250px-Lenape01.jpg

They appear to wearin' their Sunday best for the portrait.

WingedMonkey
11-18-2012, 15:57
They appear to wearin' their Sunday best for the portrait.

Yes for dressed for portrait. No for "Sunday". No to Western Pennsylvania, this particular mother and daughter were in Oklahoma in 1915.

:sun

daddytwosticks
11-18-2012, 16:06
I saw a thru-hiker wearing a cotton bath robe at Muskrat Creek Shelter last spring. If he was smoking a pipe and had an ascot, I'd swear he was Hugh Hefner. Always wondered if he ever dumped the robe?

The only cotton I ever carry is in the form of my bandana. :)

hikerboy57
11-18-2012, 16:15
you will most certainly die in cotton(although i used to hike in jeans and t shirt all the time back in the 70s):).
theres been mention here that cotton doesnt dry, well neither does many "wicking"fabrics, which work great when you're wearing them, but never dry because they sop up every ounce of moisture in the air.
I wear cotton t shirts on hot dry days, for sleep id still stick to smartwool or synthetics. even if damp, unlike cotton, doesnt lose its thermal retention properties.

Rocket Jones
11-18-2012, 17:58
Someone made a great point that a cotton t-shirt in hot weather can be wet down and the evaporative cooling will help you deal with the heat. Like every other hard and fast rule, there are usually exceptions.

jakedatc
11-18-2012, 18:01
Someone made a great point that a cotton t-shirt in hot weather can be wet down and the evaporative cooling will help you deal with the heat. Like every other hard and fast rule, there are usually exceptions.

to be fair... you can wet down any fabric. i find wet cotton to be pretty abrasive under shoulder straps.

T.S.Kobzol
11-18-2012, 18:11
Soft thin cotton short is great in the summer. As long as you have a spare wool later in your pack you are all set.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Stalking Tortoise
11-18-2012, 19:36
For shorter length section hikes, I often bring a pair of cotton boxers for sleeping. I clean up with wipes and change just before bed. In the morning, the synthetic boxers go back on.

My back, my weight, my comfort while sleeping.

leaftye
11-18-2012, 20:40
So long as you keep coton dry, no big deal. It's only an issue if you try to hike in cotton in the rain. Then you might have a problem.

Sweat alone makes it a problem. I don't need rain to soak my shirt and have the sweat soak my underwear and the top part of my pants...sometimes down to my knees depending on how hard I'm walking and if there's wind.

SassyWindsor
11-19-2012, 00:58
A Q-tip or a bandanna would be the only thing cotton I'd have. Synthetics, silk or wool are the norm. I do carry, in colder climates, a down WM sleeping bag, pack it in a dry-bag to keep dry. Cotton and down are useless when wet, heavy, smell, hard to dry, and will not keep you warm. Some cotton would be OK in extreme hot climates as long as you can dry it after it gets wet.

Seldomseen
12-07-2012, 22:04
A bandana and a Rusty's shirt are the only things cotton you should have in your pack.

hikerhobs
12-08-2012, 20:53
bandanas are the only cotton items in my pack !

Papa D
12-08-2012, 21:25
Cotton is worthless in the woods, period - that said, occasionally I stow one pair of cotton boxer shorts inside my sleeping bag to wear at night - since I keep my down bag in a (completely) dry sack, the boxers stay dry - I put them on before I go to sleep and trade them out for under armour stuff to hike in. If it's cold, I'm sleeping in long-johns so I only do this in warm weather. That's about all the cotton I'd ever suggest.