PDA

View Full Version : End of June: Sthrn VA or Nthrn PA?

shelb
11-18-2012, 01:02
Planning my next section for the last week of June - first week of July time period:

I can't decide which end to work on. Any input would be appreciated!!!

PA section - Rausch Gap, PA through Culvers Gap, NJ:confused:

or

VA section - Rockfish Gap, VA to about I-81 in VA:-?

johnnybgood
11-18-2012, 14:28
Save the Virginia section till the Fall when the air is crisp and the foilage is spectacular.

In my opinion you're best to hike a few days longer in S.W. Va. so as to include Tinker Cliffs and McAfee Knob, ending at Rt.311 in Catawba. Eating at "The Homeplace" is also recommended.

HikerMom58
11-18-2012, 15:32
I agree with johnnybgood... :) for the same reasons. We will LOVE that VA section AND eating at the Homeplace... Oh YEAH!!!

shelb
11-18-2012, 19:45
Save the Virginia section till the Fall when the air is crisp and the foilage is spectacular.

As a teacher, I cannot get time off in the fall. I must plan my hikes between the end of June and mid-August. We started hiking the trail in the middle, and I would like to complete sections on either side what I have already completed (which is why I asked about Rockfish Gap south and Rausch Gap north). We completed the other sections in mid-July and/or August.

I didn't know if one area (VA vs PA) would be more comfortable and/or more pretty at the end of June....

HikerMom58
11-18-2012, 20:10
Thanks for explaining ur situation better... that's a tough call. As far as comparing the 2 places. I've heard the beginning of that section of PA is fairly flat and much of the trail is in open fields. THen, you will have the rocks. It can be quite hot in the sun that time of year. I don't think the "hiker bubble" will be that far north, the end of June.

VA might have some pretty flowers blooming, in the woods, in late June. I'm pretty sure the "hiker bubble" will be North of that section of VA, the end of June.

My daughter has to pick up her section hike in that section of PA... she has it planned for mid- May. She is hoping the snakes won't be too bad that time of year in PA.

Someone from PA will have to tell you more about the heat, that time of year... I know it's hot in VA - July & August.

johnnybgood
11-18-2012, 21:04
Mountain Laural begins blooming in Virginia mountains late May/early June and by the time you hit the trail they will be still be in bloom. Rhodendron also is a June bloomer along with Phlox and other summer flowers.

As HikerMom stated , the heat in Virginia can be stiffling. With that being said ,I always tell people to hit the trail by 7:30 and hike till early afternoon or when the heat becomes unbearable. Take a siesta, eat lunch,journal/ebook or whatever. Remember the days are long and more miles can be made easily. If you do continue hiking on, stay well hydrated and take it slow.

I believe if you go to Virginia in June/early July you will enjoy the showy flowers along the trail thru the forest and in the meadows.

Slo-go'en
11-18-2012, 22:59
Either way your gonna fry. I don't think there would be much difference between VA and PA weather wise. Northern VA would be a bit more interesting a hike then the northern end of PA. Once past Duncanon, PA gets nasty with the only real interesting part the climb out of Lehigh gap.

I did PA in May once, (actually started at Cataba, VA the end of April), finishing up at the DWG on Memorial weekend. It started out nice and cool, but man did it warm up quick and it was insane by the time I got to DWG. The last few days were in the 90's with 80% humidity, not my kind of hiking weather.

On the plus side, you don't have to carry much since it's so warm, but it's still a little chilly near dawn when you have to get up and start hiking to beat the heat. You'll still want a light jacket for the mornings as your getting ready to go.

shelb
11-19-2012, 00:04
....---Virginia in June/early July you will enjoy the showy flowers along the trail thru the forest and in the meadows.

We did SNP in July 2011, and temps hit 99 at the Visitor Centers when we went through.... At one of the parks, someone offered us watermelon...talk about Trail Magic!

My friend and I want to do EVERY part of the trail at some point, but need to do it a section at at time. Unfortunately, living in West Michigan, it takes us at least 10 hours to get to the closest part of the trail. Plus, with each of us having between 2-4 kids at home, ages 2-15, we are unable to get away or as easily (or guilt-free) as we would like to. For now, our spouses are fine with us taking off for 11 days of hiking a year - which equates to about a 110-120 mile section after driving/shuttling time.

Our plan is to spend the next ten years doing around 120 miles a year, and then we will ramp it up since the kids will be older and our husbands won't complain ..
Once the kids are older, we will have Spring Break free - first week of April - which may be best for the southern sections.

Again, any and all advise you can give is SO appreciated!

fredmugs
11-19-2012, 07:58
Personally I would do the PA section just to get it out of the way. I did the 501 shelter SOBO to Harpers in the month of June and it was killer hot. The only good thing about PA was eating at the Doyle.

Malto
11-19-2012, 09:13
Flip a coin. I have 18 miles left to do in PA, actual just south of Port Clinton. I found the northern half of PA to be much nicer than the southern section of pa. One final thing, now that have almost finished hiking PA twice I believe people make much too big of deal about the rocks. Yes, there are some rocky sections but there are long section of very runnable level trail.

Slo-go'en
11-19-2012, 14:06
Flip a coin. I have 18 miles left to do in PA, actual just south of Port Clinton. I found the northern half of PA to be much nicer than the southern section of pa. One final thing, now that have almost finished hiking PA twice I believe people make much too big of deal about the rocks. Yes, there are some rocky sections but there are long section of very runnable level trail.

Interesting, I found the southern end of PA much nicer than the northern end. The rocks on the northern end didn't seem as bad as I had remembered them to be the first time I did PA back in '89. The heat and humidity was what made it the most unpleasent, both times. The one nice thing about PA was being able to get off the trail and eat a deli type lunch some place almost every day - and still crank out 20 miles.

shelb
11-19-2012, 20:58
... only good thing about PA was eating at the Doyle.

We loved that place last year! The food and service were outstanding!

F....I believe people make much too big of deal about the rocks. Yes, there are some rocky sections but there are long section of very runnable level trail.

Last year's hike from PenMar to Rausch Gap was rocky at times, but not too bad. I did hear it is worse north of Port Clinton.

The heat and humidity was what made it the most unpleasant....

So far, we have not been on the AT without heat and humidity since our hikes have all taken place between mid-July and mid-August. That has just become a given. I am thinking that we will want to save the lower south until we can go during spring breaks (first week of April) in a couple of years... I imagine Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee are unbearable in the summer.

JansportD2
11-20-2012, 17:09
If you do the PA section you will be in the NOBO bubble. The weather will be about the same in PA as in VA - the snakes will be worse in PA. Water could be a problem in either section - although it seems to me that the seasonal springs dry up quicker on the PA ridges. I did VA from Harpers Ferry to Pearisburg last July and water was not a problem (Heat was - the day I did the Rollercoaster - July 7 - it hit 100).

I'm hiking from Port Clinton north at the same time - also a teacher. Maybe I'll see you out there.

johnnybgood
11-20-2012, 18:28
(Heat was - the day I did the Rollercoaster - July 7 - it hit 100).

I'm hiking from Port Clinton north at the same time - also a teacher. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Was on the trail July 7-11 and can vouch for that. Heat exhaustion claimed a member of our hiking group first day out.

shelb
06-13-2013, 01:06
Ok... For Michigan - the weather has been MUCH different than usual (cooler..in fact, lilacs are still in bloom and they are usually gone by Mother's day!).

ADVISE: PA or VA the end of this month! I don't mind humidity and heat! We are looking for flowers and company (other hikers about - not necessarily the bubble)!

illabelle
06-13-2013, 06:32
So far, we have not been on the AT without heat and humidity since our hikes have all taken place between mid-July and mid-August. That has just become a given. I am thinking that we will want to save the lower south until we can go during spring breaks (first week of April) in a couple of years... I imagine Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee are unbearable in the summer.

Summer is hot most everywhere. Not a whole lot of difference temperature wise between one place and another a few hundred miles north or south. What DOES matter is elevation. Much of GA, NC, and TN are high elevation and that DOES make for cooler temperatures. Local high temps this upcoming weekend are in the mid to upper 80s. Forecast for our destination at 4000'-5000' is a solid 10* cooler. Just something to keep in mind.:)

wornoutboots
06-13-2013, 07:01
Summer is hot most everywhere. Not a whole lot of difference temperature wise between one place and another a few hundred miles north or south. What DOES matter is elevation. Much of GA, NC, and TN are high elevation and that DOES make for cooler temperatures. Local high temps this upcoming weekend are in the mid to upper 80s. Forecast for our destination at 4000'-5000' is a solid 10* cooler. Just something to keep in mind.:)

+1 on this, that's another reason the Smokies are very attractive in the Summer. It's not unusual for the temps to be in the low 50's at night in July & August.

Almost There
06-13-2013, 08:40
Go Virginia that time of year over northern Pa, the elevation should make things a bit more bearable.

twosticks
06-13-2013, 13:29
Ok, same question but a month later. My window is July 26 - Aug 4. I was looking to do US-11 in PA to DWG or Elkwallow south for about 150 miles.

Thanks.

Almost There
06-13-2013, 13:38
Higher elevations will usually be cooler that time of year, but not always. I'd go Va instead of Pa at the end of July, just for that reason, but there is a chance it will be dang hot wherever you hike. We all hike when we can, but typically I have a moratorium on hiking in July and August.

shelb
06-13-2013, 18:38
Flip a coin. .

Done! PA it is.

We will head out sometime in a week, starting at Lickdale and ending at DWG. Since next year's hike will be in July or August, I figured we would save the VA elevations for then. Plus, it would be nice to finish PA.

Any advise on this area?

Thanks!

HikerMom58
06-13-2013, 19:20
Done! PA it is.

We will head out sometime in a week, starting at Lickdale and ending at DWG. Since next year's hike will be in July or August, I figured we would save the VA elevations for then. Plus, it would be nice to finish PA.

Any advise on this area?

Thanks!

If you follow ChinMusic's Trail Journal he is doing that section right NOW. You could always PM him with any questions you may have. Have a blast! :)

shelb
06-13-2013, 20:34
If you follow ChinMusic's Trail Journal he is doing that section right NOW. You could always PM him with any questions you may have. Have a blast! :)

Thanks!!!! I always have a difficult time figuring out how to navigate in the journals area to find info! I will search his out!