PDA

View Full Version : 850 Down Coat

Autum
11-18-2012, 20:10
How do you clean or take care of an 850 down coat?

SCRUB HIKER
11-18-2012, 21:21
http://bit.ly/UOXBrG

Mags
11-18-2012, 22:08
I'd call the manufacturer directly. Care of the down itself is going to be pretty universal but every nylon (or nylon-like) fabric can vary between manufacturers and models.

Sounds like you have the GoLite Bitteroot?

HEre's what's suggested:
http://www.golite.com/Ms-Bitterroot-850-Fill-Down-Jacket-P46646.aspx

Insulation

Review your garment's care label for any special care instructions.

Washing
It’s best to hand-wash your down and synthetic garments. Fill a bathtub with warm water, soak the garment, add Nikwax Down or Tech Wash (preferred) or a gentle soap such as Woolite, Ivory Flakes, or Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps, kneed the soapy water through the baffles, and then rinse until the water is fairly clean. To dry, follow the instructions below. DO NOT DRY CLEAN! DO NOT USE BLEACH OR FABRIC SOFTENER! Small stains such as sap, tar, or oils can be spot cleaned using soap or diluted spot-cleaning solvent (such as Shout or Spray-N-Wash). Move down away from the spot being cleaned.

It is possible to machine-wash down and synthetic garments. First, though, consider the following factors:

The impeller in a top-loader washing machine treats insulated garments harshly and therefore reduces their lifespan.
The perimeter seams (on a synthetic garment) and the baffle seams (on a down garment) can tear, especially when the insulation is wet (and therefore heavier).
Normal household detergents will strip the natural oils from down, and residues from these cleaners will degrade the DWR-finish of the garment shell.
Therefore, if you are going to machine-wash your insulated garment, we recommend that you:
Use the gentle cycle on a front-loader washing machine.
Use a mild detergent such as Woolite or a down-specific soap like NikWax Down Wash.
Rinse the garment more than once. This will remove detergent residue, which will improve overall performance.

Drying
Particularly in the case of down garments, drying is as important as washing. Down clothing can appear to be dry from the outside while, in fact, its core is still damp, which can lead to mildew.
Using a tumble-dryer is recommended.
Place tennis balls in the drum with the garment to "fluff" it up as it rotates.
Commercial dryers have larger drums than home machines and are therefore preferable if several garments are being dried at the same time.
During the drying process, periodically check for lumps; redistribute down by pulling clumps apart, gentle massaging, and adding drying time.
If you air-dry your down garment, remember to shake it regularly during the drying process to prevent clumps from forming.

Restoring DWR Finish
The DWR finish can be degraded by normal wear and tear, as well as exposure to contaminants such as oil, dirt and detergent residue. (Detergents strip the DWR finish by leaving water-attractive molecules in the face fabric.) When a DWR finish is degraded, the garment will not shed water as effectively, causing the loft of the insulation and its ability to keep you warm to decline when it gets wet.
Using after-market spray-on treatments such as Gore-Revivex or Nikwax TX.Direct can restore water-repellency.
The effectiveness of the treatment can be enhanced by placing your garment in a dryer with low heat after application.

Tipi Walter
11-19-2012, 09:37
I've had a beefy winter down parka for several years and haven't yet cleaned it---nor have I cleaned my top of the line down bag. But when I do they'll be sent to Rainy Pass for cleaning. Check them out---

http://rainypass.com/services/

leaftye
11-19-2012, 09:49
One thing I don't see in the instructions that Mags posted is about being careful when you transfer your down garment to the dryer. I would roll the garment onto cotton towels, wrap it up and let the towels soak up moisture for a while. Then transfer it to the dryer. It's an extra measure to keep the seams from bursting. This may not be a big deal on a lightweight down jacket that doesn't have much down to retain moisture, especially if the fabric isn't bleeding edge ultralight, but it's something to keep in mind for bulkier down filled gear.