PDA

View Full Version : Erik the Black's CT Atlas

lonehiker
11-19-2012, 01:53
After a quick search I was surprised that I found only one reference to this guidebook. I used it this past summer for my 232 mile section hike of the CT from Waterton Canyon to Chalk CR T/H. It is compact, lightweight and comes with maps of each section. The advertised weight of the guide is 3.5 oz. It is obviously lighter than the CT Foundations guidebook and with the maps much more useful than the CT databook. To a person, everyone that I got in a discussion of guidebooks agreed that it was a better guide than what they were currently carrying. The guidebook and a sample itinerary was the only planning tools that I used in preparation for my trip. It also has town maps with available amenities. You can get information reference this guidebook at www.blackwoodspress.com (http://www.blackwoodspress.com)

One drawback to the guide is that it is written specifically for Thru-hikers so directions to T/Hs are nonexistent with the exceptions being the north and south terminus.

Dogwood
11-19-2012, 03:29
I really liked the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated maps that cover the CT in its entirety. They provide the bigger picture, alternate/connecting trails, are OK even for some alternate higher elevation ridgewalking/bushwacking if not getting too involved with that(more extensive bushwacking I'd have gone with quads), are good enough if hiking when snow isn't on the ground(then I'd opt for 1.35 quads), denote trailheads and roads(not always in their entirety though), and are waterproof and tough. I mailed myself those NG TI maps, about two or three at a time, and a few pages from the CT Guidebook describing the trail, which I wouldn't do again(the trail was obvious to me and well signed). I carried the UL compact Databook throughout the thru-hike. Wasn't all that big of a wt penalty. Also, like Mags, I already had most of the TI maps from other hikes in CO so I only had to buy four more to cover the CT in its entirety. One thing I did notice is the NG TI map #110 Leadville/Fairplay didn't reflect a very slight reroute right near Clear Creek Reservoir at the western end of the reservoir adjacent to Clear Creek Road across from the campground you go through. The trail used to make a loop eastward along the road, ascended the ridge to the north, and then went back westward, basically doing a hairpin turn, which the NG TI map shows; I think I was using the most recent NG TI #119 Leadville/Fairplay map. Now, the trail immediatedly switchbacks up the ridge right after crossing Clear Creek Road almost directly north of the campground. This reroute is more direct and saves about 1 1/2 miles of needles walking. It's an improvement.

For resupply info Mag's CT resupply info at his website provided all the beta I needed and more. Plus I had the advantage having already hiked much of the area on previous hikes(CDT). Yogi's Guidebooks got the best townguides(comprehensive in town info) though, including her guidebook for the CT, and she tends to update that info.

I think the CT Guidebook would be considered by many CT thru-hikers as being way too heavy to carry in its entirety and provides some info that I think some hikers will not appreciate like info on geology, plants, history surrounding the trail, etc. IMO, the maps in that book really aren't detailed enough and aren't topographical to be of significant use for thru-hiking and certainly aren't sufficient as quads for doing alternates or shoulder season hiking when snow could obscure the trail. Where the book excels is for section hikers. My Databook had two segment elevation profiles that were incorrect! The Gudebook had the correct profilles though.

One of the biggest advantages of Eric's books is that he really minimizes and condenses the beta for UL thru-hiking; he offers little to no beta that many thru-hikers would consider as just extra or dead wt. so his trail books certainly wouldn't contain trail history, info about plants and geology, etc. or alternate routes etc. If you are a no nonsense UL gotta get er done type thru-hiker Eric's books are a good option/supplement.

Chaco Taco
11-20-2012, 22:10
Thanks for posting this. I have a data book and guidebook and maps on my computer. When we decide the section we will do I think Ill get the Nat Geo Maps. I have the one for The Whites and have beat it down so much that its like a worn piece of tyvek. Going to def take a guidebook as well. We are doing 9 days in July so I am still deciding what to roll with. Thanks for the info

Dogwood
11-21-2012, 00:49
To avoid confusuion, I incorrectly typed in the # of the NG TI map Leadville/Fairplay as # 119 the second time I mentiioned it. It also should have been correctly denoted as map # 110 as I denoted it the first time.

ChacoTaco, you might want to review the recent thread started here on WB about potentially opening up National Scenic Trails to mountain bikers. It might contain some wothwhile beta regarding mountain biking on the CT. This info might factor into when and what segments of the CT you decide to hike.

lonehiker
11-21-2012, 02:35
Thanks for posting this. I have a data book and guidebook and maps on my computer. When we decide the section we will do I think Ill get the Nat Geo Maps. I have the one for The Whites and have beat it down so much that its like a worn piece of tyvek. Going to def take a guidebook as well. We are doing 9 days in July so I am still deciding what to roll with. Thanks for the info

I guess my reason in making the post reference Erik the Black's Atlas is the fact that it fulfills both functions mentioned above. It is a guidebook that includes topo maps of each section. It has an overview map of the entire trail so you get that perspective, then is broken down into sections.

Mags
11-24-2012, 20:55
ETB's book is good if you want to a 'pure' CT hike. But, there are so many alternate routes, side trips and such that (IMO) I really think some alternate maps should be taken, too. Some of these alternates are now 'official' alternates, too (re. The Collegiates West option)

Westerners tend to take a better view of alternate routes vs our East Coast counterparts. :D