PDA

View Full Version : Mid-August too late of a start to finish a SOBO by X-Mas? Would the Smokies be safe?

Coleus
11-19-2012, 05:26
I'm sorry for the proliferation of posts. I want to make a legit thru-hike work with possible great employment opportunities.

Question is the topic title. Mid August in Maine, if finishing late December, would the SMokies be too dangerous?

My concern isn't miles. I've done trail work in Maine, Arizona, Colorado and Alaska for the last three years. My concern is weather, in the Smokies mostly. After all, it's the thing that's keeping me from just starting NOBO after New Years, after all.

Thank you.

moytoy
11-19-2012, 05:56
I'm not an experienced thru-hiker but a lot of people who start a SOBO hike don't make as many miles in the beginning as they would a NOBO hike. That means that you can hit some really bad weather before you get out of NE, which slows you down even more. But assuming you know your capabilities and you make good time and get to the Smokies by Thanksgiving you are probably OK in the south. Most winters in the south are pretty mild until late December early January. A SOBO thru stated this year in Mid August and is now off the trail because he didn't make enough miles early to clear the NE bad weather. Here is a link to his blog. http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=15f629484b10e2c8dfb421858864b9 1c&event_id=1095

Danl
11-19-2012, 08:30
Here is a website that has weather in the smokies. I will be watching in earnest for a march start.http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=RTPMRX

Dr. Professor
11-19-2012, 08:45
I'm sorry for the proliferation of posts. I want to make a legit thru-hike work with possible great employment opportunities.

Question is the topic title. Mid August in Maine, if finishing late December, would the SMokies be too dangerous?

My concern isn't miles. I've done trail work in Maine, Arizona, Colorado and Alaska for the last three years. My concern is weather, in the Smokies mostly. After all, it's the thing that's keeping me from just starting NOBO after New Years, after all.

Thank you.

As I type, there's a total stud who left SOBO on I believe October 17 trying to become the third ever to complete the triple crown in a single year. So as to the question of "can anybody?" -- yes. As to the question of "would I?" -- not that late in the year. I guess the question is "do you feel lucky?"

Malto
11-19-2012, 09:04
Can it be done, yes. Can you do it? Nobody can answer this. Just like the other thread, weather is hit or miss. Who would have seen Sandy dumping what she did this year. I would suggest you go to trailjournals.com and do some journal searches for some of the scenarios you are looking to do. There is no way you are going to get any useful information other than shifting through and picking a post that says what you want to hear.

Jeff
11-19-2012, 09:10
A mid-August SOBO start is fairly common. I talked to maybe 12 this year who were heading south.

Weather in the Smokeys is so unpredictable. Here is an accout by a thruhiker who started at Katahdin in late June this year. He had to get airlifted out of GSMNP November 2nd.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=395675

Slo-go'en
11-19-2012, 14:20
There are just too many variables to be able to answer a question like yours. You just have to go out and do it. You'll find out how far you can go when you get there. If you get a spell of bad weather, you either wait it out, skip around it or go home.

map man
11-20-2012, 01:29
I get the impression that August SOBO starts are becoming more common than they used to be -- a common circumstance is starting after the end of college summer school. Here's a link to the journal for a hiker who started at Katahdin on August 19 this year and is hoping to get to Springer in late December -- your proposed schedule:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=396125

He's completed the first two thirds of the trail in a few days less than three months so his pace should get him to Springer before the New Year. And it's a pretty well written journal.

There are others here who know the weather in the Smokies in December a lot better than I do, so I will pass on that part of your question.

takethisbread
02-05-2013, 10:25
Weather is great in New England till Colombus day . Smokies are usually ok in December, snow levels are low or non existent. Probably a bit better than they are in early march, when snow levels are higher at elevation . So a mid August start, is easily enough time to clear at least to Killington. (7 miles a day gets you there by Colombus day.) 12 mpd gets you into New Jersey you should be all set