PDA

View Full Version : Pack Size (Capacity) Recommendations

Grady Wilson
11-19-2012, 11:17
Hi all, just getting back into things after a long hiatus and I'm on the hunt for a new pack.

What do you recommend as the perfect pack capacity. I know this varies greatly from person to person.

I am 5' 9", 160lbs, and am on the minimalist side. The max weight I may will carry will not exceed 35lbs and the length of my trips will range from 3-7 nights.

I checked out some packs at REI over the weekend and everything 60+ seemed huge to me.

Right now I'm leaning toward 48 liters. The Osprey Kestrel 48 to be specific.

Thanks!

ATMountainTime
11-19-2012, 11:20
Im your size, and from Atlanta. lol I went with an Atmos 50, this is the first pack ive bough in a while but so far i love it. at 50, ive had to become a little minimalist for my style, but it's probably a great thing. I love the suspension on this pack, it fits amazingly on my smaller body. If you roll with a hammock, you should have plenty of space.

Rasty
11-19-2012, 12:12
I like around 50 liters. Just switched from a Lowe framless 50 liter to a ULA Circuit ($225) which is a luxury pack compared to the Lowe. I have 5 outside pockets compared to only having 1. I also have a 70 liter pack for when I packing gear for the family. I'm usually about 25# with food and water for a 4 to 6 day trip.

RWheeler
11-19-2012, 13:17
I use a GoLite Jam 50L, and it's about perfect for 3-7 days between resupplies (which means it'd cut it for that long of a hike, obviously). You're in the right capacity range, so go with what's comfortable for you!

bigcranky
11-19-2012, 14:08
The Kestrel is a nice pack - I have the 32 for a daypack when I need to carry heavy stuff like cameras.

It's not really light, but it's not too heavy and the capacity is reasonable. If it fits and carries well, great. Also, too, it needs to hold all your gear.

bannerstone
11-19-2012, 14:50
So much depends on your gear selections, if you have a fairly complete kit of gear already then it's easy to determine if a pack will meet your needs by taking your gear along when you shop. Otherwise the conventional wisdom is to buy your pack last after you've made the majority of other gear choices.

Lastly you'll want to consider what additional volume you'll need for cool/cold weather outings provided you enjoy it.

David

Deadeye
11-19-2012, 15:34
Big enough to hold your stuff. Not being a smart a$$, but what else could the answer be? If you carry 60 liters of stuff, a 50 liter pack won't cut it.

Grady Wilson
11-19-2012, 16:17
Big enough to hold your stuff. Not being a smart a$$, but what else could the answer be? If you carry 60 liters of stuff, a 50 liter pack won't cut it.

Wow Deadeye, I am amazed by your genius. BTW, I also loved you song "New Age Girl" back in the day.

Schooley
11-19-2012, 16:29
I recommend a ULA Catalyst or any ULA pack; I cannot say enough good things about my experience dealing with ULA. The quality of my catalyst is top notch, the pack wears very well and most importantly the service I received from Chris was incredible. ULA all the way!

colorado_rob
11-19-2012, 19:08
Seems like the general consensus is ~50 liters, and that is my answer as well. I use a couple of 46 liter packs interchangeably for my long hikes, a perfect volume for 6-7 days with some significant space leftover. As an example, even carrying a bear canister, I used a 46L on my recent JMT thru hike (early October). I'm "light" but by no means "ultralight" in my packing, and I'm talking about 3 season stuff (not winter).

Bottom line: I think 50 liters is a perfect size for most spring/summer/fall thru hikes, unless you carry a lot of bulky stuff or have a long, long way between resupply. You don't ask, so I won't offer an opinion on which 50L packs.

MuddyWaters
11-19-2012, 19:46
A lot depends on your style.
Packs are supposed to be rated by main compartment volume. Not all are.
It makes no sense to rate a pack like the ULA packs that way, because people want a significant part of gear in outside pockets, so they dont.
In addition, there can be a large difference in real size between 2 different packs rated the same size.

The best way to get it right, is to purchase a couple of candidates, pack them with all your gear, try them out, then send back the ones you like least.

yellowsirocco
11-19-2012, 21:59
I could fit my stuff in a 50 liter pack if I wanted, but I prefer my 65 liter.

Reasons to go bigger:
1. It is a pain to shove all my crap into a space that requires perfect placement every morning.
2. Where am I supposed to put my six pack or box of doughnuts or whatever else I decide to randomly carry?

HermesUL
11-19-2012, 22:16
I think I'll have trouble getting my winter gear into my 46 liter pack, but we'll have to see.

46 liters is good because I can leave my sleeping bag uncompressed, carry a lot of food, and not bring the pack lid (saving weight). However, this is with about a 6-7 lb baseweight, so keep that in mind.

A pack that is too big will subconsciously encourage you to carry more stuff, usually stuff you don't need. If you're going in the minimalist direction then you'll find a pack that is a tight fit for your gear provides the necessary encouragement in terms of what to bring. Maybe a 35 or 40 liter pack would suit you, if you were likely to cut back even further. Be careful though--if you can't fit the stuff you need, then it's a terrible choice.

My pack is an Osprey 46--check it out, it's not sold in most REI stores but is available online: http://www.rei.com/product/845147/osprey-hornet-46-pack-2011-closeout
Saves 2 full pounds on the Kestrel, so even though it has less padding you'll likely find it more comfortable.

Deadeye
11-19-2012, 22:57
Wow Deadeye, I am amazed by your genius. BTW, I also loved you song "New Age Girl" back in the day.
Glad you liked it. And, OK, I'll admit, it was a smarta$$ reply but with a grain of truth - you asked for advice which can't really be answered without more information. What I should have said if I wasn't feeling snarky, was that I like a big enough pack that I don't have to pack things just so to make them fit. I like things to fit comfortably and un-smooshed, and I don't like compressing stuff into little rocks with all sorts of unused spaces in between. Gently packed things can fill up the space. Really, my genius is usually under-appreciated.

Rasty
11-19-2012, 23:22
A lot depends on your style.
Packs are supposed to be rated by main compartment volume. Not all are.
It makes no sense to rate a pack like the ULA packs that way, because people want a significant part of gear in outside pockets, so they dont.
In addition, there can be a large difference in real size between 2 different packs rated the same size.

The best way to get it right, is to purchase a couple of candidates, pack them with all your gear, try them out, then send back the ones you like least.

I agree with your ULA versus regular packs capacity rating. The ULA circuit is closer to 60 liters if fully packed. The same gear that filled my 50 liter pack easily fits in a Circuit with a lot of room to spare. The side pockets are huge and can fit a Gatorade bottle plus. The hip belt pockets are just right and the mesh back panel can easily hold a rain jacket, fleece jacket, rain cover, fuel, etc. It is really nice having everything you need for the day outside of the main compartment.

Did I say I like my new pack? And it's made in America!

Turk6177
11-20-2012, 10:18
ULA Catalyst. I love mine. It held 5 days of food and all my gear with ease. It is also made in the USA.

Bucho
11-24-2012, 17:41
The Osprey Kestrel 48 to be specific.

Have you considered the Osprey exos 46? It's over a pound lighter http://www.rei.com/product/780219/osprey-exos-46-pack
Even the exos 58 is almost a pound lighter.