PDA

View Full Version : Inaugural section hike w/son

G-FOURce
11-19-2012, 11:18
Okay, so we have decided to hike from Hampton, TN to Damascus, VA as our inaugural section of the AT. When I say "we" I mean me, my 10 year old son, and my 66 year old mother. We will be hiking from March 9 to March 17. We're in the beginning stages of accumulating gear here is what we have so far:

ME
Gregory Z55
S2S ultralight pack liner
Jetboil Ti SOL
GSI Infinity mug
Sawyer Squeeze
BA Fly Creek UL1
BA Yampa (40* bag/31oz)
S2S Reactor (insulated liner/8oz)
BA Q-Core pad
Black Diamond Gizmo headlamp
Little Vickie utility knife
pack cover
hydration bladder

SON
Osprey Jib 35 (son)
SD Lightning 2 (weight will be split b/w son and mom)
Mtn. Hardwear Mountain Goat (20* bag/35oz)
GSI Infinity mug
pack cover
pack liner
hydration bladder

I have a couple of questions for those in the know...
> Will my son need a 20* bag during that window? I know weather is fickle, but as a general rule would this be an appropriate bag or should i go with a little warmer bag and grab a second Reactor for him, too?
> Does anyone know how much water will be available in this section? I am looking at grabbing two Platypus Hoser 1s (34 fl oz) but can go bigger if water is scarce along this segment.
> I know NOTHING about women's packs... where should I start for my mom? She's 5'1 and in reasonable shape for her age if that helps at all (she's not a runner or athlete, but she's active and eats healthy).

For my son, who is 52" tall and 62lbs, I have a loadout max for him at 13lbs. With the set up I have described above he's at 12.25lbs including pack, gear, clothes and water. I guesstimated the clothes at 2lbs, so we'll see how that shakes out.

Please, if you have any suggestions or constructive comments about our gear I would love to hear them. Keep in mind that we're budget-conscious as I am buying for all three of us and we haven't even begun purchasing anything for my mom.

Thanks!

moldy
11-19-2012, 16:14
The 20 degree kids bag is what I would go with. If it gets colder than normal he can sleep in his coat.

There is plenty of water this time of year.

Your mom should by fitted to a pack at a good outdoor store. Have the store make the strap adjustments.

You are overloading your son. Get his total pack weight down to about 7lbs.

G-FOURce
11-19-2012, 16:33
The 20 degree kids bag is what I would go with. If it gets colder than normal he can sleep in his coat.

There is plenty of water this time of year.

Your mom should by fitted to a pack at a good outdoor store. Have the store make the strap adjustments.

You are overloading your son. Get his total pack weight down to about 7lbs.

yeah, we have an REI here and a Half Moon Outfitters, so we should be good to get her fitted. i was just wondering if any women here had any suggestions about pack models they've actually used.

as for my son, the 12lb target may be a little high, but 7lbs seems way low for him. how did you get to that weight?

moldy
11-19-2012, 20:25
Google up "backpack weight for children", see what the pediatritions have to say. A 64 pound kid should carry no more than 6.4 pounds. The backpack should have wide straps and a bellyband. Make sure the weight rests on the top of his hipbone in the small of the back and not all on his sholders. As far as your mom, here is what I would do. Go to Trailjournals.com look up under the heading "completed thru-hike" 2009 go to Wags journal, on the lower left send her the question.

moldy
11-19-2012, 20:30
You can send Wags the question by signing the guest book.

1azarus
11-19-2012, 20:44
Well, I never thought I'd write "I don't care about the gear!" and just write how excited i am for the three of you. what a great adventure. Who's idea was this journey?

G-FOURce
11-19-2012, 20:45
I will check it out.... Thanks!

HikerMom58
11-19-2012, 21:43
Well, I never thought I'd write "I don't care about the gear!" and just write how excited i am for the three of you. what a great adventure. Who's idea was this journey?

Agreed!! :) I'm curious about how this journey came to be... such fun!!

G-FOURce
11-19-2012, 21:56
It was my sons idea. We had been backpacking a few times and he loved it and it has been a couple of years since we last went so he said we should go again. We were talking about where to go and he said "Lets hike the AT." He had seen the signs for it in GSMNP on our car-camping trips and when I told him how long the trail is he pitched back a quizzical look. I told him it can be done in segments and that we can do it together over the years to come if he would like to tackle it together. He loved the idea and so we have been talking about it for weeks which is how i came to be a member here. When he told his grandmother about the adventure she said she wanted to join us for the first hike and now she's in it, too (the kid LOVES his Nana Carrot).

bigcranky
11-19-2012, 22:03
+1 on keeping your son's pack at 10% of bodyweight. Maybe 15%, but not 20. Well, I wouldn't do that, anyway. When he's 12 or 13 you can let it ramp up a bit. Let mom carry the tent, or you carry his clothing, etc.

My wife swears by her Osprey Ariel series pack. She used or tried on a *lot* of packs. Osprey has a pretty good handle on how to make a women's suspension.

The 20-F for the child is good. You will likely have nights around freezing, on average. Some years a little warmer, but some years a lot colder that week. Check the 10-day forecast and call the Kincora Hostel a few days before leaving to make sure. That MH bag looks like a decent synthetic bag, but I expect that the 20-F rating is the "you won't die at this temp" rating, not the "you'll be toasty warm" rating.

The 40-F bag for you might be okay with the liner, but it also might be pretty cold. Depends on the bag. You have all winter to test this for yourself - sleep outside on your pad in your tent using your bag/liner combo when the weather gets down to 30 or lower. Really, test this carefully. It's no fun lying there all night shivering. (Heck, do this with your son, too, if at all possible. Go to the local state park and camp out when the temps will be in the low 20s. It's fun! And you'll be the only ones there.)

Finally, that's a good first section. You'll get some nice views of Watauga Lake, then have some great ridgeline walking without monster climbs. With no leaves on the trees, you'll get some nice views, and some stars at night if the skies are clear. You might consider bringing sunscreen, or wearing a brimmed hat.

Make sure to get a pizza in Damascus when you finish.

Have fun!

G-FOURce
11-20-2012, 07:30
Alrighty, I will push over some of his gear to get him down to a sub-zero load. And pizza in Damascus...any place special or are you just suggesting pizza in general?

bigcranky
11-20-2012, 11:20
I think it's called Sicily's now. Pretty decent. You'll be thinking about it the whole hike :)

Rain Man
11-20-2012, 11:35
Okay, so we have decided to hike from Hampton, TN to Damascus, VA ....

Please, if you have any suggestions or constructive comments ....

Wow... brings back memories. My youngest daughter and I did that exact same section as her second section hike with me (the first being Hwy 19E to Kincora/Hampton).

Depending on exactly where you start, Pond Mountain is a sturdy climb y'all will have right away, but just keep in mind all the hikers who made it before you and keep chugging. Water is a long way down from the Vanderventer Shelter, so take that into account.

I think you're on a good track of preparation re gear, but are you each doing conditioning hikes? It's not just having the right gear or the right weight gear. It's also getting those feet, muscles, joints, ligaments, and tendons into condition for walking all day, day after day. Also, important to wear the exact clothes and carry the exact gear that you'll be hiking in. Nothing like hiking for practice to be hiking.

You must be in the Greenville, SC area. I'll be there all weekend visiting family for Thanksgiving, and will be heading to the REI and Half-Moon and Appalachian Outfitter and Mast General Store too, all just for fun! Care to join me?

Rain Man

Feral Bill
11-20-2012, 11:38
12 pounds is not an excessive load for a boy of that size, especially with a decent pack and some prior experience. He might even regard a token 7lb. pack as an insult. At worse it will slow him down a bit so you and your mom can keep up.

Alligator
11-20-2012, 11:39
It appears that the items in red are not purchased yet? Two alternative packs that are slightly bigger and cheaper are the Deuter Fox 40 and the REI Passage 40. Both are nice packs. If you can, measure your sons torso length and consider that in the next 2-3 years, he may grow a bit. I find for a small group that the foldable plateware (Orikaso) makes for a lighter kitchen with one slightly larger pot to cook in (vs a personal pot). On the other hand, everyone may have different tastes, so an extra pot could be handy. Just something to think about, I don't know offhand what the size of the Jetboil is.

G-FOURce
11-20-2012, 12:12
Wow... brings back memories. My youngest daughter and I did that exact same section as her second section hike with me (the first being Hwy 19E to Kincora/Hampton).

Depending on exactly where you start, Pond Mountain is a sturdy climb y'all will have right away, but just keep in mind all the hikers who made it before you and keep chugging. Water is a long way down from the Vanderventer Shelter, so take that into account.

I think you're on a good track of preparation re gear, but are you each doing conditioning hikes? It's not just having the right gear or the right weight gear. It's also getting those feet, muscles, joints, ligaments, and tendons into condition for walking all day, day after day. Also, important to wear the exact clothes and carry the exact gear that you'll be hiking in. Nothing like hiking for practice to be hiking.

You must be in the Greenville, SC area. I'll be there all weekend visiting family for Thanksgiving, and will be heading to the REI and Half-Moon and Appalachian Outfitter and Mast General Store too, all just for fun! Care to join me?

Rain Man

you're exactly correct - i'm in G'Vegas! i would love to join you and meet a fellow AT hiker, but my crazy sister and her wild kids will be here for the holidays and we'll be catering to them the whole holiday weekend. also, there is another outfitter here called Half Moon Outfitters on Laurens Road that you may want to visit, too. i will send you a PM, though, so we can keep in contact just in case i decide to run away from the insanity in my house...

G-FOURce
11-20-2012, 12:17
It appears that the items in red are not purchased yet? Two alternative packs that are slightly bigger and cheaper are the Deuter Fox 40 and the REI Passage 40. Both are nice packs. If you can, measure your sons torso length and consider that in the next 2-3 years, he may grow a bit. I find for a small group that the foldable plateware (Orikaso) makes for a lighter kitchen with one slightly larger pot to cook in (vs a personal pot). On the other hand, everyone may have different tastes, so an extra pot could be handy. Just something to think about, I don't know offhand what the size of the Jetboil is.

yes, the items in red are 'to be purchased' items. i like the Osprey b/c i know the quality and i thought it would carry better than the other two. the Deuter Fox 30 was the other option and a lighter one but i think there'd be more value in adding a few ounces and gaining measurable comfort than shaving a few ounces and risking an uncomfortable carry. sadly, the REI here doesnt have either of the packs i want in stock so i think i may buy them both and have them shipped to our local store, test them in store, and then return/refund the one we dont use. i'll call the store in advance to find out if that's something they wouldnt mind.

as for the jetboil, it will be sufficient for what we'll need. we are going to prep our meals in advance (some pre-packaged like Mtn House stuff and some we'll build ourselves) and we'll be eating right out of a bag. in the mornings we'll be using coffee singles and hot chocolate mix so again we'll only need boiled water.

Alligator
11-20-2012, 16:35
Ospreys are nice packs and I have several so if that's the way you want to go I've always liked mine. I moved my kid up from a Deuter 30 though to the Passage 40 because of space concerns. I checked the Fox 40 out in the store, it is as nice as the 30. It all depends on how much you want them to carry and how much for you. Is that a kids bag you are getting? I have found that kid's synthetics can be bulky as they do not use the best/lightest insulation. You'll be able to eyeball the space better once you have the items. REI has a great return policy you should be able to ship it to the store, check them out out, keep the one you want. I don't have a store near me but returns are no problem by mail and should be easily handled in the store.

G-FOURce
11-20-2012, 18:28
i called REI and they're good with refunding the cost for which ever i dont like so i think i'll order a couple of packs tonight. he's going to be amped!

Mr. Bumpy
11-21-2012, 08:10
G-force. Living in G'ville I hope you are or have been hiking on the foothills trail. Your planned hike sounds awesome. We have been taking our son backpacking since he was 3 1/2 and he is 10 now. The VA highlands are our favorite place to go, but there are so many great places in the area. With kids always be flexible with itenerary but don't sell them short either. I keep my sons pack weight at around 15 lbs going slightly heavier or lower depending on terrain and distance. He weighs about 85. We're in Asheville and are always looking for hiking partners so send me a pm. We will spend a night or two out over the winter break.

"Atlas"
11-21-2012, 15:48
I noticed that you are bringing a Jetboil SOL. I love my jetboil and think its the best way to cook. BUT if you are bringing three people, you may want to upgrade to a larger Jetboil. While on the Trail this Fall, I came across two girls who had a larger yellow Jetboil, and it worked wonderfully for the two of them. I am thinking of getting a larger one myself because two cups of water and a pack of gruel often overboils. Just food for thought.

I too am hikng a few weeks this next summer with my teenage daughter, so I am thinking more about how to cross function weight and function.

G-FOURce
11-21-2012, 16:01
I noticed that you are bringing a Jetboil SOL. I love my jetboil and think its the best way to cook. BUT if you are bringing three people, you may want to upgrade to a larger Jetboil. While on the Trail this Fall, I came across two girls who had a larger yellow Jetboil, and it worked wonderfully for the two of them. I am thinking of getting a larger one myself because two cups of water and a pack of gruel often overboils. Just food for thought.

I too am hikng a few weeks this next summer with my teenage daughter, so I am thinking more about how to cross function weight and function.

I had thought about getting the larger cup, but i dont think any of us will mind eating in shifts. I figured i would let my mom cook for herslelf and my son while i set up shelters and inflate pads and then i'd eat last. I will be doing some test runs with my son and a buddy from work before the big hike so i will get to see the actual application of this plan prior to the hike. Great thought, though, and thanks for sharing!

Astro
11-21-2012, 17:05
From my past experience with my son I recommend pushing as much weight to him as possible. If he goes too fast and has to wait for you, he will probably get bored.

G-FOURce
11-21-2012, 17:28
I will keep that in mind, too.

eagleJ
11-21-2012, 17:54
Are you starting at 321? I wouldn't recommend going over Pond Flat for a first time.

G-FOURce
11-21-2012, 19:09
Are you starting at 321? I wouldn't recommend going over Pond Flat for a first time.

I havent yet checked where we will enter and exit. Is that climb too extreme? Any suggestion for where we should enter? Exit?

bigcranky
11-21-2012, 19:20
Start at US 321 outside Hampton and head north toward the dam.

G-FOURce
11-21-2012, 19:34
Start at US 321 outside Hampton and head north toward the dam.

Would that allow a bypass of Pond Flat that EagleJ was mentioning earlier?

eagleJ
11-21-2012, 20:12
Yes it would and it's easiest place to access the trail. You'll still have a big climb from the dam up to Vandeventure shelter but after that it's smooth hiking to Damascus.

G-FOURce
11-21-2012, 21:20
Yes it would and it's easiest place to access the trail. You'll still have a big climb from the dam up to Vandeventure shelter but after that it's smooth hiking to Damascus.

fargin' fantasitc! we're in there like swimwear...

eagleJ
11-21-2012, 22:27
How far are you planning on hiking each day? Are you planning food drop? I've done this hike twice both times in three days. I'm just asking because if your only doing five miles a day your food weight is going to be high.

G-FOURce
11-21-2012, 22:52
i havent thought about doing a food drop. however, given that my stepfather will be lingering about in the area that sounds like a splendid idea. we are going to do this over 7 or 8 days (depends on how well mom is getting along and how durable my son will be). we will be in no hurry at all and will be taking long breaks and just enjoying it as much as possible. are there easy access points along the way where we could meet my stepfather for resupply visits? if so, i'd definitely do it since it looks like i am going to be humping most or all of the food.

MuddyWaters
11-21-2012, 23:17
8 day may be a stretch for a 10yo if they havent done that before. Not necessarilly physically, but boredom could set in after a couple days. There isnt much to do but walk, and look at trees, and occassionally a view. A problem with short mileage is also , what to do with the rest of the day when you only walk for 3-4 hrs?

To me, it would be a good thing, if you could hit a town in the middle of the hike for a 1 day break/resupply/rejuvenation. Or maybe meet your stepfather for that and take a side-trip and get off trail for a little while, go eat in a nearby town, maybe sleep in a hotel. That also gives you a convenient bail-out point if the kid has had "enough" fun after 4 days.

In march, you are likely to experience some adverse weather over an 8 day stretch.

G-FOURce
11-21-2012, 23:23
and by adverse, do you mean cold and snow or rainy weather? if we're making good time, we can definitely head off-trail and meet up with my stepfather since he'll be in a 37' motorcoach. that actually sounds like a pretty solid idea. i am allowing such a long time b/c i dont know how many miles/day either my son or my mom are capable of covering. that's a superb suggestion, MW. (btw, i saw him in T'town back in the early '90s)

G-FOURce
11-21-2012, 23:25
....(btw, i saw him in T'town back in the early '90s)

uhm, check that... wrong cat

Nutbrown
11-22-2012, 09:07
For your mom... I am 5'6" and have a medium Osprey Aura 50. It is the most comfy pack that I have had, and I go between an old external frame and a smaller frameless and this one. It is great for my shape, a tad hippy and smaller on top.

I do 4-5 days on the AT each spring or summer, and this pack is just right for the amount of food I eat. If you don't have a stop for food, it might be a bit small for the 8 days. Especially when you say you are going to bring cold weather gear. That stuff takes up a lot of room.

You should consider bringing along an extra alcohol stove and maybe a can pot. It will add a negligible amount of weight, and you can get more water boiling at the same time. I make em, so pm me if you would like one. All I ask is the money for shipping Consuming it will be no charge ;)

eagleJ
11-22-2012, 09:35
There are three road crossings on that section. First is Wilbur Dam Rd. only 4.3 miles in. Second would be a good place to have a food drop its about midway point of your trek at TN hwy. 91. Then maybe ten to fifteen miles after that you cross US 421 the last one before Damascus.

G-FOURce
11-22-2012, 10:17
For your mom... I am 5'6" and have a medium Osprey Aura 50. It is the most comfy pack that I have had, and I go between an old external frame and a smaller frameless and this one. It is great for my shape, a tad hippy and smaller on top.

I do 4-5 days on the AT each spring or summer, and this pack is just right for the amount of food I eat. If you don't have a stop for food, it might be a bit small for the 8 days. Especially when you say you are going to bring cold weather gear. That stuff takes up a lot of room.

You should consider bringing along an extra alcohol stove and maybe a can pot. It will add a negligible amount of weight, and you can get more water boiling at the same time. I make em, so pm me if you would like one. All I ask is the money for shipping Consuming it will be no charge ;)

sent you a pm....

G-FOURce
11-22-2012, 10:18
There are three road crossings on that section. First is Wilbur Dam Rd. only 4.3 miles in. Second would be a good place to have a food drop its about midway point of your trek at TN hwy. 91. Then maybe ten to fifteen miles after that you cross US 421 the last one before Damascus.

Beautiful! Thats gonna save me some weight and open up an option... Outstanding.

G-FOURce
11-22-2012, 16:01
so, as i look through the Companion i notice that at some milestones there are no elevations listed. does this mean that no one registered them along the journey or that they're equal to the previous milestone or that they're just irrelevant milestones? in the pic below, check out "spring" and "stream" down near the middle of the list.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb415/moughinman/a1f1d25f48298db6e24e747aeff742a1.jpg

bigcranky
11-22-2012, 17:17
The guidebook doesn't have that info. Given that they are 1/10 mile (for the spring) and 4/10 for the stream, they are likely close to the elevation of the monument, but in some places that's not a good rule.

G-FOURce
11-22-2012, 17:21
gotcha. just curious to know if i had overlooked something. thanks.

G-FOURce
11-27-2012, 22:11
Update... I have reconsidered some of the gear we'll be taking (needed to lighten things up a bit) so I have updated the list after some recent purchases:

ME
Gregory Z55
Jetboil Ti SOL
GSI Infinity mug
Sawyer Squeeze
BA Fly Creek UL1
Thermarest Xtherm
pack cover
hydration bladder

SON
Osprey Jib 35 (35oz)
Mtn. Hardwear Mountain Goat (20* bag/35oz)
GSI Infinity mug (2.8oz)
Black Diamond Gizmo headlamp (2.1oz w/battery)
Outdoor research drybag pack liner (0.8oz)
hydration bladder

I am still searching for the right sleeping bag, but I have committed to spending a little more coin to get a lightweight down bag. I also picked up a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 Platinum for my mom and my son to sleep in during the trek. I know its small, but the price was amazing and they're both tiny (he's 52"/62lbs and she's only 9" taller) so I am betting on it working out for them. I have done the math and it looks like I'll be carrying somewhere around 27lbs, which is more than I would prefer but I will be carrying all of our food. My mother will be carrying around 19lbs and my son will be carrying right about 10lbs. These weights do not include the clothes we will be wearing when we step onto the trail, our boots, or our trekking poles but it does include our water, hydration bladders, and rain gear.

MuddyWaters
11-27-2012, 22:34
Usually a safe bet the springs are downhill.

G-FOURce
11-27-2012, 22:52
Usually a safe bet the springs are downhill.

at the risk of sounding obtuse, what does that mean?

MuddyWaters
11-27-2012, 23:13
Jack and Jill might have gone up the hill to fetch water, but on the AT you will usually be going downhill to get it.

Astro
11-27-2012, 23:57
Jack and Jill might have gone up the hill to fetch water, but on the AT you will usually be going downhill to get it.

MuddyWaters,
Great observation!

G-FOURce
11-28-2012, 10:01

MuddyWaters,
Great observation!

sorry, but still not quite getting it. i understand that you're saying water will be downhill from the trail, at least thats what it appears you're saying, but not entirely certain what i am supposed to glean from it.

that said, i am curious to know how far off-trail the water might be. i had assumed, heroically, that where the AT Thru-Hiker's Companion identifies water sources that they'd be right on the trail but realize now that my assumption may be wildly incorrect. neither this resource nor the Data Book (both 2012 versions) tell the reader how far from the trail the water source might be. are they generally close or are they often difficult or time-consuming to reach? also, does anyone know about the water sources for this particular segment?

MuddyWaters
11-28-2012, 20:26
It varies.
Sometimes a spring or stream will be right on the AT.
Often you will follow a side trail downhill to find the water.
It can be 20ft, or it can be 0.2 miles
Not uncommon to go maybe 50-100' vertically down a fairly steep hill to find it.
Sometimes hillsides are full of many seeps and you have to find a source that is flowing enough to collect from.
It all just depends.

dzierzak
11-29-2012, 09:32
Just a bit more on water location - a few examples from the "Thru-Hikers Companion 2012"

Vandeventer Shelter (1961)—Sleeps 6. No privy. Water source is 0.3 mile down a steep,blue-blazed trail south of the shelter.
Iron Mountain Shelter (1960)—Sleeps 6. No privy. Water source is a spring 500 yardssouth on the A.T.

Watauga Lake Shelter (1980)—Sleeps 6. No privy. Water source is on A.T., south ofthe shelter (if dry, follow stream up to small pool).

In the sample page you've listed, springs, streams, etc. are near or on the trail. Planning ahead is essential. MuddyWaters' comment probably should have included ;) Higher up springs tend to dry up first :).

G-FOURce
11-29-2012, 11:38
Just a bit more on water location - a few examples from the "Thru-Hikers Companion 2012"

Vandeventer Shelter

(1961)—Sleeps 6. No privy. Water source is 0.3 mile down a steep,blue-blazed trail south of the shelter.

Iron Mountain Shelter

(1960)—Sleeps 6. No privy. Water source is a spring 500 yards
south on the A.T.

Watauga Lake Shelter

(1980)—Sleeps 6. No privy. Water source is on A.T., south of
the shelter (if dry, follow stream up to small pool).

In the sample page you've listed, springs, streams, etc. are near or on the trail. Planning ahead is essential. MuddyWaters' comment probably should have included ;) Higher up springs tend to dry up first :).

this is great info! i will update my itinerary now. i intend to bring along a journal and i will make detailed notes about water sources during my hike and update that information here when we return.

thanks!

tnvarmint
11-29-2012, 21:11
I live right in the middle of where you will be hiking. Typically the weather during that time around here is not too bad. Nights get down to at or around freezing and days will be anywhere from mid 50s to mid 60s. I have a feeling though we are in for a bad winter this year.

Good luck and if you have any questions about the area hopefully myself or one of the other locals can answer them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

G-FOURce
11-29-2012, 21:47
I live right in the middle of where you will be hiking. Typically the weather during that time around here is not too bad. Nights get down to at or around freezing and days will be anywhere from mid 50s to mid 60s. I have a feeling though we are in for a bad winter this year.

Good luck and if you have any questions about the area hopefully myself or one of the other locals can answer them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

excellent! i will definitely keep you in mind as i plan it all out and as questions arise. thanks, varmint!

G-FOURce
12-20-2012, 15:13
So, we have finally finalized our gear list. Here is what we're looking at for the trip:

ME
Gregory Z55
Gregory pack cover
BA Fly Creek UL1
Tyvek groundcloth
REI Halo +25 sleeping bag
Thermarest Xtherm pad
CampTek Microburst
Jetboil Ti SOL
GSI Infinity mug
Sea to Summit Ti long spoon
Sawyer Squeeze
Platypus Hoser 2.0L

SON
Osprey Jib 35 pack
OR ultralight bag liner
Big Agnes Amber 30
Thermarest Xlite
Platypus Hoser 2.0L
GSI Infinity mug

my mom will also be joining us on the trip and she will be sleeping with my son in our Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. his pack weight, minus food but including water weight and clothing and misc (toothbrush, slippers, etc) looks like just a whisker over 10lbs. my mom's pack weight is right around the 17lb mark (minus food but including water, clothes and misc, too). my pack, however, will be about 27lbs at the onset of the hike which is due, in no small part, to me carrying 100% of all of our food (enough for 3 for 7 days) and 3/4 of the weight of their tent.

again, if anyone has any suggestions or constructive comments about our gear I would love to hear them.

MuddyWaters
12-20-2012, 15:49
So, we have finally finalized our gear list. Here is what we're looking at for the trip:

ME
Gregory Z55
Gregory pack cover
BA Fly Creek UL1
Tyvek groundcloth
REI Halo +25 sleeping bag
Thermarest Xtherm pad
CampTek Microburst
Jetboil Ti SOL
GSI Infinity mug
Sawyer Squeeze
Platypus Hoser 2.0L

SON
Osprey Jib 35 pack
OR ultralight bag liner
Big Agnes Amber 30
Thermarest Xlite
Platypus Hoser 2.0L
GSI Infinity mug

my mom will also be joining us on the trip and she will be sleeping with my son in our Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. his pack weight, minus food but including water weight and clothing and misc (toothbrush, slippers, etc) looks like just a whisker over 10lbs. my mom's pack weight is right around the 17lb mark (minus food but including water, clothes and misc, too). my pack, however, will be about 27lbs at the onset of the hike which is due, in no small part, to me carrying 100% of all of our food (enough for 3 for 7 days) and 3/4 of the weight of their tent.

again, if anyone has any suggestions or constructive comments about our gear I would love to hear them.

Since you asked:

Pack = 4 lbs
Pack cover = 0.25 lb
Pack liner = 0.25 lb
Tent = 2 lb
Tyvek = 0.25 lb
Bag = 2 lb
Pad = 1 lb
microburst/batteries = 0.25 lb
jetboil = .75 lb
mug = 0.25 lb
Sawyer = 0.25 lb
headlamp/batt = 0.125 lb
platypus hoser =0.25 lb

These items alone are = 11.625 lbs

You have no raingear, clothing, or insulating layer listed.
I assume minimum 1 lb for raingear, and 2 for insulating clothing/spare socks, etc.

You also have no First aid kit, sunscreen, bug dope, map, lighter, etc.
These will add up to about 1/2 lb at least.

I would bet you bring a camera and cell phone with will also add up to minimum of 1/2 lb

Your base gear will weigh at least 15.5 lbs . (ignoring a few miscl items too)

Fuel for stove, if you carry will be about 12oz cannister = 0.75 lb
Drinking water will be 4.4 lbs for 2L

You are realistically at 20.6 without any food.

If you really intend to carry 3/4 the wt of thier tent, you will be tacking on another 2.25 lbs , so your up to 23 lbs.

Food, for 7 days the two adults will need at least 1.5*7=11 lbs each, and the kid at least 7. thats 29 lbs of food.

YOur pack would have to weigh 52 lbs. , not 27. And it will probably weigh a couple more than that still.

What am I missing??

G-FOURce
12-20-2012, 16:55
uhm, food! i didnt realize that my worksheet had linked the weight of my food to a different tab and that the data on that tab was incomplete.

thanks, muddy... back to the drawing board. i may be keeping my Fly Creek UL2 Platinum now as it appears that every little ounce will count.

MuddyWaters
12-20-2012, 17:15
uhm, food! i didnt realize that my worksheet had linked the weight of my food to a different tab and that the data on that tab was incomplete.

thanks, muddy... back to the drawing board. i may be keeping my Fly Creek UL2 Platinum now as it appears that every little ounce will count.

If you intend to carry all their food, you will be a pack mule, pretty much no matter what. I certainly understand why you would seeing as how its your son and mom.

A resupply , or food cache, could cut that down to more manageable wt. Not that its not perfectly doable, many people pack that wt, and you have a pack that will handle it I think. Its just not much fun, kind of like real work.. Depends on the miles and terrain.

G-FOURce
12-20-2012, 20:30
If you intend to carry all their food, you will be a pack mule, pretty much no matter what. I certainly understand why you would seeing as how its your son and mom.

A resupply , or food cache, could cut that down to more manageable wt. Not that its not perfectly doable, many people pack that wt, and you have a pack that will handle it I think. Its just not much fun, kind of like real work.. Depends on the miles and terrain.

so, how do you get to 1.5lbs/person? is that wet-weight or dry-weight? i am doing the math and while the meals will be repetitive and dull, i think we can keep it to around 1lb dry-weight per head. am i missing something? also, we will DEFINITELY have to either cache it somewhere or have my stepfather meet us in the middle b/c i am not humping a 40lb+ pack.

MuddyWaters
12-20-2012, 20:52
so, how do you get to 1.5lbs/person? is that wet-weight or dry-weight? i am doing the math and while the meals will be repetitive and dull, i think we can keep it to around 1lb dry-weight per head. am i missing something? also, we will DEFINITELY have to either cache it somewhere or have my stepfather meet us in the middle b/c i am not humping a 40lb+ pack.

Typical foods range from 80-150 cal/oz. Some trail mix might be 180 cal/oz and olive oil is the pinnacle at 240 cal/oz.

Backpackers try to hit the higher stuff. An overall average is usually 100-125 cal/oz .

16oz = 1lb is only ~2000 cal per day most likely. Far less than you will need after hiking for several hours. This is not quite enough for a normal adult. Even only hiking 4 hrs per day, an avg adult would burn an extra 1600 cal or so , requiring about 3600 per day.

Of course if you choose food POORLY, 16 oz might only be 1600 cal! even less than you need. You really have to focus on the highest calorie foods you can get your hands on, it can make a 50% difference in the amt of calories in your food. And you dont want to have to carry any more than you have too.

24oz = 1.5lb is closer to 3000 cal usually, and could be as high as 3600. If you ate all peanut butter it would be 4320.

1.5 lb per person per day for short trips is kind of a rule of thumb for adults. You still run a calorie deficit of even 2000 cal/day. But you will only lose a few lbs on short trips.

This is why you hear about thruhikers eating peanutbutter (180 cal/oz) , and olive oil

In the end, you eat what you are hungry for. The first few days your appetite may be suppressed, then it will begin to grow.

Aim1030
01-06-2013, 21:48
G-Fource,
For your mother, I highly recommend an Osprey pack! Specifically, the Ariel series or the Aura. I used a 65 L Aura for my thru-hike in '09 and loved it! I have also used the Ariel 75 L extensively and like that (they make it in a 65 L, too!). After my thru-hike I replaced my pack with the Gregory Jade 60 and I also really like that, too. I would say all of those packs would be great starting points! They have good suspension without being too heavy. Make sure she gets fitted properly and see which one feels/fits best! Feel free to use me as a resource if your mother (or you) have any questions. I've been working at an outdoor retail store since I finished my thru-hike! :)

-Wags
GA-ME '09 ([email protected])

G-FOURce
01-07-2013, 08:33
thanks, wags! i may reach out to you for some advice for her on this hike. i carry a Gregory and my son carries an Osprey, so we're pretty sold on those two brands. hard to go wrong with either...