PDA

View Full Version : LOA Request turned down today

Josh Calhoun
11-19-2012, 12:42
I Put in for my LOA request way back on Jun the 20th. today i finally heard the i will not be granted my request. For some this would be heart breaking knowing there hike was over before it even started. But i expected this and have been preparing for it for the past year. no worries here :D. i was told that as soon as i come back they will hire me back at another position. and that they are happy to hear that i am following a dream. I may even Be able to work out a sponsorship through them. getting turned down for a LOA would be terrible to most. but to me its an open door to something that has completely consumed me for the past 12 months. 89 days to go!

RED-DOG
11-19-2012, 12:45
Good Luck and happy hiking.

daddytwosticks
11-19-2012, 16:50
Good luck Josh. You sound like you are all ready to go. Enjoy your adventure. :)

Mrs Baggins
11-19-2012, 16:57
Sounds like it'll work out great! My hubby had the opposite happen in 2007 when we planned a thru-hike. He turned in a letter of resignation and they said "No! Don't resign! Just take a leave of absence!"

tf bear
11-20-2012, 10:16
They will have a happier employee on return

RETCW4
11-21-2012, 09:34
Sounds like it'll work out great! My hubby had the opposite happen in 2007 when we planned a thru-hike. He turned in a letter of resignation and they said "No! Don't resign! Just take a leave of absence!"
I am trying to pen a LOA letter. Stuck on the format and wording. May just tell them I'm going for a walk and will be back in 6 months.

"Atlas"
11-21-2012, 11:50
Hey Josh, good luck man. I am heading down to Charlotte, NC when I hit the trail in April. Has been living close to the Trail and the mountains helped you to decide the Trail was for you?

RED-DOG
11-21-2012, 11:54
Good luck and i hope you make it.

Josh Calhoun
11-21-2012, 14:54
Hey Josh, good luck man. I am heading down to Charlotte, NC when I hit the trail in April. Has been living close to the Trail and the mountains helped you to decide the Trail was for you?

i would say spending allot of time in the mtns growing up and just loving the outdoors has made the decision easy for me. my family lives about 6 miles from the trail in Bryson city NC

Firefighter503
11-22-2012, 18:24
Congrats Josh. I got turned down for my LOA in 2011 as well, so I asked my employer to accept my resignation instead. When I returned to town, they promptly rehired me. I still wasn't happy at the job, and ended up quitting again for good within a few more months.

Persie
11-27-2012, 22:24
Is it pretty common for thru hikers to request such a lengthy LOA or do most just resign? I've been wrestling with this for a 2014 thru hike. If you do ask for a LOA, what would be a reasonable amount of time to ask your employer ahead of time?...or wait until your closer to your actual date?

ParkRat09
11-29-2012, 22:09
Quit and get on the trail haha! I'm lucky to work for a climbing/backpacking outfitter and my owner is a thru-hiker so he's super excited for my trip and guarantees my job when I get back!