PDA

View Full Version : Advice re: Davenport to Newfound in 2 days

joshuasdad
11-19-2012, 15:54
I was going to do Cosby campground to Newfound Gap to shorten the hike a bit, but scheduling is all but forcing this itinerary for this weekend. I know the first day to Tricorner will be challenging, but necessary, as Cosby Knob shelter is closed because of bears. I plan to start an hour before sunrise each of the 2 days. Bringing plenty of Vitamin I, and will be drinking lots of water to deal with elevation issues. (Just did Clingmans to Fontana in 2 days and now know I need to be mindful up there).

Mainly, I am looking for confirmation that snow on trail is all but melted, and any other helpful tips. Leaning towards leaving microspikes at home, and relying on poles for footing.

Thanks!

RWheeler
11-19-2012, 16:20
On my NOBO trip, I did Fontana Dam to Derrick Knob shelter, then to Mt. Collins, then to Tri-Corner, then hit the I-40 underpass to crash at a friend's cabin nearby. It's a pretty similar itinerary to what you'd likely need to do. This was in early May, though, so I had a lot more sun to work with. The temps weren't much above freezing, though.

If you're in decent shape, your weight is low enough, and the weather is somewhat cooperative, you should be able to pull this off.

4dogHiker
11-19-2012, 16:36
the blog for LeConte Logde may be helpful regarding the snowmelt at those elevations. Also, give park headquarters a call- they will have updates from the ridgerunners.

www.highonleconte.com

MuddyWaters
11-19-2012, 19:01
Downhill is easier if your worried about time.

brian039
11-19-2012, 19:06
Might want to consider Newfound to Davenport if you haven't already made reservations. There's not a lot of daylight this time of year and you'll need all the help you can get. Elevation won't be an issue, it doesn't really affect you at low-moderate intensity levels until you get around 7-8,000ft.

waasj
11-19-2012, 20:42
Cosby to Newfound is a pretty long hump. Why the hurry?

joshuasdad
11-19-2012, 21:13
I would normally do this in 3 days, but:

1) I am section hiking SOBO in that area, and already did the downhill part of the Smokies.
2) Cosby Knob shelter is closed, which forces a 15+ mile day to get to Tricorner.
3) I have dinner with extended family planned for Friday night, right in the middle of the long weekend.

Well, at least I have AYCE at the end...

MuddyWaters
11-19-2012, 21:47
Theres campsites near Cosby , just off the AT a "short" ways. About 2.5 miles.
Clingmans to Fontana was downhill, thats easy.
You are looking at a long , hard, day.

joshuasdad
11-25-2012, 04:45
Thanks all. Hike was great, trail was in generally good condition except some snow/ice near Tricorner and lots of (fun) blowdowns after Pecks. Finished 6 pm first day with 730 am start, finished 4 pm second day with 615 am start. One other person at Tricorner shelter Thurs night, but he arrived too late to share my Thanksgiving "feast" of chicken salad on crackers and GORP.