PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

MerylCat
11-19-2012, 16:28
I'm re-posting from a different section. Realized too late the General category was here. :)

I'm a student in Indiana considering hiking part of the trail after graduation in May. I've done some backpacking elsewhere but nothing as dedicated as several months on the trail.
I'm still considering the logistics of doing this, but I'm really hoping to get out in early May. My questions are pretty general. I've done quite a bit of research but I'd love to hear some opinions from experienced hikers!

First, I'll most likely be hiking alone. Like I said, I've done a lot of backpacking and have always felt pretty capable, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience, tips, or thoughts on a single female hiking alone?

Second, depending on where I'm able to get a job following graduation, I may have anywhere from 1-3 months on the trail. Any recommendations for where to start as a new, but physically capable hiker if I'm only out for a month? What if I bring a dog with me? I understand that portions of the trail prohibit dogs.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any input. And if I'm posting in the wrong section, feel free to tell me to move. Thanks! :)

Mary

Lone Wolf
11-19-2012, 17:21
i would start in Damascus, Va. in May. you'll be around a bunch of other hikers. there are lots of solo ladies hiking

RWheeler
11-19-2012, 17:26
When I was doing my thru this past summer, I definitely came across a lot of solo female hikers. It's not an uncommon thing.

Starting in Damascus would probably be a great idea, as Lone Wolf suggested.

If the dog has never gone on multi-day hikes before, then I'd suggest not taking it at all. It's a much different consideration than hiking just by yourself. But if the dog is capable and you can be responsible about it, then by all means bring your furry friend!

Best of luck!

swjohnsey
11-19-2012, 17:47
Don't take the dog. The dog will be happier and so will you. You can't take a dog in the National Parks.

MuddyWaters
11-19-2012, 18:57
Sounds like you need to figure out what you want out of your hike first.

Nutbrown
11-19-2012, 19:57
+++ for Damascus. Then you can meet up with other hikers and even if you want to stay solo, you won't be alone. Actually, how about starting a bit south around Grayson Highlands? It's cheesy, but I wouldn't want to miss the wild ponies :)

moldy
11-19-2012, 20:14
"I have always thought it best to strart at the start, then just follow the yellow brick road" . What is wrong with starting at Springer Mt? You are never alone on the Appalachan Trail. The best place to ask about Toto is on the pets page.

MerylCat
11-19-2012, 21:10
Thanks for the input!

As for the dog, I'll only be bringing him with me if I can't find a place for him to go while I'm on the trip. He's a very athletic Chesapeake Bay Retriever, used to long hikes and climbs, loves absolutely everyone and everything, obeys all commands (I actually train dogs), and always stays on a leash. I understand the negatives that go with bringing a dog- more weight to carry, cleaning up after him, sleeping outside of shelters, not being able to go some places, etc. He's an awesome hiking companion and I'm courteous enough not to bother other people with him. But I'll only bring him if I have no other option.

I hadn't thought about the ponies in Grayson Highlands! Awesome idea. I actually train horses too, so that would be cool to see.

I'll take any more recommendations anyone has! Thanks again. :)

Lone Wolf
11-19-2012, 21:21
+++ for Damascus. Then you can meet up with other hikers and even if you want to stay solo, you won't be alone. Actually, how about starting a bit south around Grayson Highlands? It's cheesy, but I wouldn't want to miss the wild ponies :)
damascus IS a bit south of grayson highlands

MuddyWaters
11-19-2012, 21:29
Trail Days is in Damascus around that time. You may, or may not, want to be part of that.

The Roan Highlands is a must see spectacular place. If you can hit it the 2 or 3rd week of June you catch the rhododendron bloom peaking.

bigcranky
11-19-2012, 22:11
You could start at Davenport Gap, at the north end of the Smokies. You'll get to see a lot of great views as the trail crosses open balds in TN and NC; great trail towns in Hot Springs, Erwin, and Damascus; and the rhododendron blooms somewhere along the way. Depending on how much time you have, you'll be able to get past Damascus and into Southwest Virginia pretty easily. (I can't estimate where without knowing how much time you have.)

Hiking alone is fine. There will be other hikers, and it's a good community. The dog is a little more difficult, as it's like traveling with a toddler - you are hiking the dog's hike, not your own. But there have been plenty of dogs on the trail. (And starting at Davenport Gap means you avoid the dog-free Smokies.)

Good luck and have fun, whatever happens.

Nutbrown
11-19-2012, 23:18
damascus IS a bit south of grayson highlands
yeah...that's what I meant:rolleyes:

Hikemor
11-20-2012, 14:12
Can't go wrong either NOBO or SOBO out of Damascus, although as a start point it may be a little more difficult to get there. Other options are Roanoke, VA; Waynesboro, VA; Harpers Ferry, WV or even Carlise/Harrisburg, PA (SOBO).

Praha4
11-20-2012, 14:35
u won't be single for long on the AT

Astro
11-20-2012, 18:47
I would recomend leaving the dog at home and starting at Springer Mtn. Whether 1 or 3 months, a logical place to start and easy to pick when you want to go again later. Prior advice about focusing on what you want to get out of your hike is key too.

Namtrag
11-20-2012, 20:02
You can bring dogs into Shennandoah National Park, they just have to be leashed at all times.

MerylCat
11-26-2012, 22:35
Thanks again for the advice, guys! :)

fredmugs
11-27-2012, 08:11
You could start at Davenport Gap, at the north end of the Smokies. You'll get to see a lot of great views as the trail crosses open balds in TN and NC; great trail towns in Hot Springs, Erwin, and Damascus; and the rhododendron blooms somewhere along the way. Depending on how much time you have, you'll be able to get past Damascus and into Southwest Virginia pretty easily. (I can't estimate where without knowing how much time you have.)

I agree with this. No dogs at all in the Smokies so starting just north of there makes sense plus it's easy to get to the trail.