PDA

View Full Version : dangerous road crossing

saimyoji
05-19-2005, 22:36
I was on the trail at the PA 309 trailhead today. The "hiker crossing" signs that used to be along the road there are no longer. Add that to the 70+ MPH average speed of the drivers makes for a dangerous crossing.

Just thought I'd throw this out to any thrus who might be approaching. I gather its worst around the rush hours. I got there at 5:00 and left around 6. Was busy the whole time. Lots of trucks.

BTW, Anybody ever eat at the diner up there? Is it good?

TakeABreak
05-20-2005, 06:51
Don't remember that road crossing, the worse I remember from 2000, was the road before you started up bear mountain in new york, where it is twoo lanes going one way divided by a good chunk of woods and two lanes going the other way. I must have stood there for 15 minutes waiting for a chance to get across the first section of road.

SavageLlama
05-20-2005, 08:19
Another dicey one is crossing the Palisades Parkway after Harriman State Park in New York. Quick, run!

lobster
05-20-2005, 11:59
That Palisades Parkway is really bad!!

bearbait2k4
05-20-2005, 12:33
Up in NY, when you start getting closer to Bear Mountain, there are ridiculous road crossings.

I think that was one spot where you come walking right out of the woods onto the road, with no warning.

Good stuff.

saimyoji
05-20-2005, 22:28
At the PA 309 crossing you are walking uphill, pretty steep, out of the bush right onto the highway with little warning (you can hear the traffic a little); cars, trucks flying by. You cross three lanes of traffic and continue up. There used to be signs on the highway warning drivers of the presence of hikers, but they are gone now (I hope not taken down by treasurehunting hikers).