PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh Gap OK for kids

TheYoungOne
11-20-2012, 09:59
My brother is a boy scout troop leader and he has asked me for a place in PA that is a short hike/climb with a nice vista. I was actually going to day hike Lehigh gap in the spring and I figured I could bring him and his troop along for the first leg of my hike. I never been to this section before but I seen pictures and videos. These boys are city kids, and beyond short nature walks never really been out doing serious hiking or climbing. Can a bunch of 10 to 12 year old boys with minimal hiking and rock scrammbling experience climb it, or is it too much.

tdoczi
11-20-2012, 10:14
My brother is a boy scout troop leader and he has asked me for a place in PA that is a short hike/climb with a nice vista. I was actually going to day hike Lehigh gap in the spring and I figured I could bring him and his troop along for the first leg of my hike. I never been to this section before but I seen pictures and videos. These boys are city kids, and beyond short nature walks never really been out doing serious hiking or climbing. Can a bunch of 10 to 12 year old boys with minimal hiking and rock scrammbling experience climb it, or is it too much.

i dont think its too much physically, but i'd reconsider the wisdom of bringing city kids who dont get out to nature much for a hike on a denuded hillside overlooking several highways that is part of a superfund cleanup. is that really exposing them to nature?

Gumby42
11-20-2012, 11:33
Try the pinnacle & pulpit. It is not too difficult and the troop will be rewarded with great views.

Slo-go'en
11-20-2012, 14:10
I kinda liked that section (Lehigh). About the only section in PA with extended views and a decent climb. I bet the kids would have a blast.

You should have seen that section of trail back in the 80's - I remember climbing up a big pile of tailings and the whole area looked like lunar landscape.

jhunt87
11-20-2012, 14:21
I have done that hike several times and I think the kids would be fine. It is a bit rough out there in the middle of the summer with the sun beating on you, but it should be enjoyable in the spring.

Another suggestion would be hiking to Bear Rocks and Bake Oven Knob. Both are nice views in my opinion. You can copy the coordinates below into google maps.

Parking 40.744782,-75.738033
Bear Rocks. 40.734584,-75.759306 Roughly 1.5 miles one way.
Bake Oven Knob. 40.749829,-75.733325 Less than .5 miles one way.

RED-DOG
11-20-2012, 14:47
That's a awesome section and a great but strenuous climb the kids will have a blast.

Lyle
11-20-2012, 14:50
Yeah, the kids should be fine as long as they don't get stupid - that's the adult's responsibility. The photos make it look much more treacherous than it is.

I would second the Pinnacle as a fantastic view, easy to get to. Probably just as treacherous as Lehigh Gap. The drop of is more of a vertical one if they are playing on the rocks, again adult supervision would be in order.

tdoczi
11-20-2012, 15:00
I kinda liked that section (Lehigh). About the only section in PA with extended views and a decent climb. I bet the kids would have a blast.

You should have seen that section of trail back in the 80's - I remember climbing up a big pile of tailings and the whole area looked like lunar landscape.

its one of my fav places in PA too, dont get me wrong. but it is what it is and an ideal place to learn to appreciate nature it is not.

Train Wreck
11-20-2012, 15:23
Honestly, how many 10-12 year olds are going to spend much time admiring a view? The physical scrambling and tue novelty of this hike will be far more memorable than a more "normal" section. Plus,you can
use the opportunity to show them what NOT caring about the environment can do.

tdoczi
11-20-2012, 16:15
Honestly, how many 10-12 year olds are going to spend much time admiring a view? The physical scrambling and tue novelty of this hike will be far more memorable than a more "normal" section. Plus,you can

its not about views or lack thereof. the view that they wont even be stopping to admire in lehigh gap is often absolutely phenomenal. its the notion of packing up a bunch of city kids for a trip out to the woods and taking them to what is essentially a big toxic pile of rocks. just seems laughable to me. if its all about having a fun time scrambling i'm sure theres an indoor rock wall somewhere. if youre looking for rocks to climb on theres plenty of other places for that in PA, especially if the view or lack there of doesnt matter. i just dont see how a trip to lehigh gap at all fulfills the obvious point of such a trip. might some of the kids be bored out in real live woods? i suppose so. does that mean taking all of the kids to a place that isnt really an example of nature at all is a better idea? the lesson of what not to do with nature is an interesting one but only truly makes sense if its being taught to kids who would know the difference.

TheYoungOne
11-20-2012, 16:24

This is why my brother and I thought Lehigh Gap would be better then a Pinnacle hike. With the Pinnacle either way its an over 4 mile hike in the woods just to get there. My brother is kind of worried about the "Are we there yets" popping up on the first mile. Lehigh Gap is instant gratification for young videogamers who think waiting 2 minutes microwaving a Hot Pocket is too long . You park at Lehigh Gap and its right there. You see that boys, we are going up there.

I like the enviromental spin on it too. Great Idea and I'll pass it along.

Train Wreck
11-20-2012, 16:35
This is why my brother and I thought Lehigh Gap would be better then a Pinnacle hike. With the Pinnacle either way its an over 4 mile hike in the woods just to get there. My brother is kind of worried about the "Are we there yets" popping up on the first mile. Lehigh Gap is instant gratification for young videogamers who think waiting 2 minutes microwaving a Hot Pocket is too long . You park at Lehigh Gap and its right there. You see
that boys, we are going up there.

Just keep them from falling off the mountain and you're good to go :D

Rasty
11-20-2012, 16:46
Just keep them from falling off the mountain and you're good to go :D

Kids are not that fragile. They are as likely to hurt themselves in the parking lot as they are on the hill itself.

Train Wreck
11-20-2012, 18:15
Kids are not that fragile. They are as likely to hurt themselves in the parking lot as they are on the hill itself.

Yeah, they're like mountain goats!

tdoczi
11-20-2012, 21:47
This is why my brother and I thought Lehigh Gap would be better then a Pinnacle hike. With the Pinnacle either way its an over 4 mile hike in the woods just to get there. My brother is kind of worried about the "Are we there yets" popping up on the first mile. Lehigh Gap is instant gratification for young videogamers who think waiting 2 minutes microwaving a Hot Pocket is too long . You park at Lehigh Gap and its right there. You see that boys, we are going up there.

hiking trips are for correcting that sort of backwards mindset, not encouraging it further.

joshuasdad
11-20-2012, 22:40
I would do SOBO from Delaware Water Gap over Lehigh with 10-12 year olds, though even DWG seems a bit dangerous to me for a 10 year old without adequate supervision.

Thirsty DPD
11-21-2012, 00:02
The ecological history of the Lehigh Gap would be a great teaching tool. Being exposed along the ridge is profound when compared to the surrounding area. It could get some of the kids thinking if provided the history.

kevinwinterborn
12-19-2012, 22:48
I took my son up the Lehigh Gap earlier this year. He is 11 yrs old. No complaints. He loved it. It was a warm sunny day. I was never more than a foot away from him during the ascent over the rocks. There are are few places where it gets a bit 'hairy' for kids his age, but he managed it quite well. Now, he has hiked a bit more than say, city kids, but I can't imagine this being too difficult for any kids at that age - especially the age you are describing. The views are quite nice, he remarked about the views near the top and liked to see the landscape at the top. I explained to him why it looked the way it did, the history of that section of the trail and why nothing really grows there. He stopped several times on his own to take in the views and I appreciated that because I saw him appreciating the beauty of the other mountain, the river, the roads, etc. Some rare birds up there, some wildlife and evidence that some groups are trying to plant trees and other vegetation to reclaim the land. He took it all in, and thoroughly enjoyed it and this was evidenced by his talking about this particular hike for several weeks. I love this area, because it offers a close hike that is a bit rigourous for a quick workout for me. I have about a 7 mile loop I do by myself. Love the rock scramble. And for the kids... it reminds me of the confidence or obstacle courses in the military. I told him beforehand that this was a bit dangerous, a bit tough and when he completed it, he truly felt as though he accomplished something that his father had accomplished before. Made him felt good, he remarked how it was so much fun....