PDA

View Full Version : ULA Circuit HipBelt Size

NaturalHiker
11-20-2012, 15:54
Hey you all, almost finished getting my gear for my upcoming 2013 thru hike. Grabbing a Tarptent Moment as well as a ULA Circuit today, but hung up on the hipbelt size of the circuit.

I'm 5'8 -5'9 tall,
130-145lb's at any given time,
with a waist size of 30-32.

Probably need a Medium sized Circuit pack but not sure whether i should go with the Small or Medium size hipbelt.
What's comfortable to you guys?

~

Tarptent Moment:

Wont be using trekking poles so the Tarptent Moment is the choice for my thru, gotta be one of the nicest freestanding tent's out there. Do you guys know what the total packed weight of the moment is w/ stuff sack & pole?

~

Baselayers:

Also need to grab some new baselayer's. Interested in the Smartwool & Icebreaker light to mid-weight long underwear tops and bottoms. Going to go with a half-zip for the top. Might also grab some light to mid-weight polartec power dry baselayer's as they are on sale too, unless you guy's have anymore suggestions for me while im out at REI.

Thanks, so excited to meet you guy's and get this show on the road. Out of a job till I leave for Springer in March, spending all my freetime in Southern California until then getting ready. Woo-Hoo.

Rasty
11-20-2012, 16:16
I have a 32" waist and the medium ULA waistbelt fits. With a 30" waist I would go with a small.

My tarptent Double Rainbow was the stated weight with the tent, bag, poles and stakes. I think Tarptent weighs the whole package.

CarlZ993
11-20-2012, 16:22
Check w/ Campmor.com. They've got Smartwool long underwear on sale (last year's model). Cheaper than REI. On sale, REI's top would cost about $83. $59 @ Campmor (checked it out @ REI earlier today; ordered from Campmor when I got home).

jeffmeh
11-20-2012, 18:59
Also check out http://www.departmentofgoods.com/sales/search.html?mv_session_id=RpzjsEvb&aff=1&q=merino+wool#search=%26path%3Dcdepartmentofgoods% 2523%2523%252d1%2523%2523%252d1%257e%257eq6d657269 6e6f20776f6f6c%257e%257encdepartmentofgoodsc11%252 3%2523a%2523%2523ca

They always seem to have some aggressively priced merino wool gear.

MuddyWaters
11-20-2012, 19:36
You will want the small hipbelt for sure.

You probably want the medium pack, but dont discount the large either. The pack fit runs smaller than the sizing, if you want to be able to take wt off of the shoulders that is.

NaturalHiker
11-21-2012, 00:59
Hmm, im getting mixed answer's from people, so i called around and asked ULA what they recommended. The guy that worked for ULA said he has a 32 waist and wear's the medium hipbelt...

I wouldent say im a full 32, maybe a 32 waist after Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday but not right now, 32 pants are my comfort of choice, even though my waist is probably a bit smaller.

I like thing's to be oversize rather than undersize. So i'll probably go with a medium pack with a medium hipbelt, that way i can grow into it too if it works out.

Besides, even if it is too big, i can swap it out for a smaller hipbelt cant i? i'll just have to go through the hassle of sending the bigger one back and waiting for the smaller one.

Thankfully i found a ULA retailer 30-40 min's away from my house, so if they get some new circuits in before i need it i'll go try one on before i have to buy one, but who know's when they will get them in.

Thanks again fabulous community! .. I went way overboard at REI today... but it was well needed.

And i think im still going to grab the new Sierra Designs DriDown Jacket.

MuddyWaters
11-21-2012, 15:14
I have a 31/32 waist (wear size 32 pants) and I use a small hipbelt. There is some overlap in sizing. What you dont want is to not be able to cinch it up tight enough because the ends touch the buckle. The larger belt also weighs more. You can always change in the future if you get fat too.

Have them ship you both belts , and then return one back to them if you are unsure.

Dont buy it from a retailer! Order it from ULA directly. You get outstanding service for life from ULA, especially if your name is in their purchase database. This doesnt happen buying from a retailer.

MuddyWaters
11-21-2012, 15:25
I have a 31/32 waist (wear size 32 pants) and I use a small hipbelt. There is some overlap in sizing. What you dont want is to not be able to cinch it up tight enough because the ends touch the buckle. The larger belt also weighs more. You can always change in the future if you get fat too.

Have them ship you both belts , and then return one back to them if you are unsure.

Dont buy it from a retailer! Order it from ULA directly. You get outstanding service for life from ULA, especially if your name is in their purchase database. This doesnt happen buying from a retailer.

If it helps, I have about 4" gap between the ends of the padding when its tightened up(2" each side of my belly button), and the small padding extends about 2.5-3" past my hipbones on each side.

pyroman53
11-21-2012, 16:18
Remember, you'll only get skinnier on your hike...probably much so.

Hairbear
11-21-2012, 21:07
hi.i just got my circuit.i have a odd body size,so i called them.ula will take you through it.your fit will be perfect.

NaturalHiker
11-22-2012, 14:56
awesome, all the reply's have helped tremendously. I think im going to go with the small hipbelt, i guess its not a big issue either way since i can always get a bigger hipbelt, i just want the most comfort/effectiveness. I'll just try on the pack at the retailer, and then order from ULA.

Hosaphone
12-06-2012, 01:19
I'm ~6'3, 180ish, 32ish waist. I ordered a medium pack + small hip belt and it's been a perfect fit. I remember remarking that it was probably the first time in my life I had ever ordered something in size "small"!

RodentWhisperer
12-06-2012, 11:05
Wont be using trekking poles so the Tarptent Moment is the choice for my thru, gotta be one of the nicest freestanding tent's out there. Do you guys know what the total packed weight of the moment is w/ stuff sack?

By my own experience (and those of others that I've heard/read about) the weights stated on TarpTent's site are quite true-- and, I believe, the site gives the packed weights (including stakes/poles/stuff sacks). I've a Notch, which is listed at 26 oz; when I weighed it at home, out of the sack and without the stakes, it registered at 24.6 oz.

blue indian
12-06-2012, 11:24
Very similar situation with the ula pack. I'm 6'0, 150lbs, 30-32 in. waist. Definitely go with the small. You want to be able to cinch that belt down. Keep in mind you're going to loose weight on the trail..