PDA

View Full Version : Whats it take to get your backcountry fix?

David S.
05-20-2005, 00:18
I've never been on any extended backpacking trip for more than 6 days. Often my trips are limited to a weekend. Very often, weekend trips just seem to end all to soon. Right when I'm starting to settle into my psychological groove in the backcountry, it seems that its time to come home again. A weekend always seems to leave me wanting. Not completely fulfilled it seems. Maybe I just need to change my mindset. It seems that after 4 or 5 days I tend to feel a bit more fulfilled...to a level I can be satisfied with. I haven't gone much longer than this on a trail or in the backcountry...whether it is hiking or just an extended stay. I feel that about 10 days would really give me a good level of satisfaction. 40 days I feel would take things to a completely different level of satisfaction...or maybe not. I am sure it’s different for everyone. I may make it sound like I am grouchy at the end of a short weekend trip. What I'm saying is I always leave wanting more. Though I am certainly very happy for what little time I had.

What does it take for you to get your fix? Is it number of days out? Mileage? Epic ness? (I.e. things or happenings that make for great stories to tell your grandkids...like the time you struggled across Mt. Washington in 75mph winds and a wind chill of -40 or when lightning stuck your tent in the middle of the night).

What’s it take to get your backcountry fix? And for those that have certain addictions to certain substances...that’s not the kind of fix I am referring to. ;)

MOWGLI
05-20-2005, 06:49
What does it take for you to get your fix? Is it number of days out? Mileage? Epic ness?

You know, it all depends where my head is. Yesterday a day hike to the Walls of Jericho was perfect. See my BLOG link below for some photos. It was only a 7-mile in & out, but its what I needed. Tomorrow I hike to the Hike Inn at Amicalola, spend the night, and come home Sunday.

Maybe the fact that I have a 5 day - 60 mile hike along the Colorado Trail planned for the summer is enough for me. I plan another backpacking trip to an undetermined locale here in the SE.

MOWGLI
05-20-2005, 06:53
Oh yeah... I also have a plan to hike from Carvers Gap to 19E in early June - timed for peak blooming of the Rhodys. Having walked the AT already, I'm focusing on cherry picking some areas - hiking at the perfect time to catch specific natural wonders. Kinda fun actually.

Just the knowledge that the hike is planned tends to sooth my soul a bit. Does that make sense to anyone other than me?

Kerosene
05-20-2005, 08:47
Knowing that I'll be going out for 9 days starting next week to knock off another 140 miles does help me get by.

For me, the ideal time out is somewhere between 1-3 weeks. A week is just a little too short, while going beyond 3 weeks crosses from "scratching the itch" to a major endeavor. Of course, it's been 25 years since I've been able to get out for more than 10 days.

The Solemates
05-20-2005, 10:54
Of course, it's been 25 years since I've been able to get out for more than 10 days.

I certainly respect you and have nothing against you, but I hope thats not the road Im headed down.

neo
05-20-2005, 11:04
I've never been on any extended backpacking trip for more than 6 days. Often my trips are limited to a weekend. Very often, weekend trips just seem to end all to soon. Right when I'm starting to settle into my psychological groove in the backcountry, it seems that its time to come home again. A weekend always seems to leave me wanting. Not completely fulfilled it seems. Maybe I just need to change my mindset. It seems that after 4 or 5 days I tend to feel a bit more fulfilled...to a level I can be satisfied with. I haven't gone much longer than this on a trail or in the backcountry...whether it is hiking or just an extended stay. I feel that about 10 days would really give me a good level of satisfaction. 40 days I feel would take things to a completely different level of satisfaction...or maybe not. I am sure it’s different for everyone. I may make it sound like I am grouchy at the end of a short weekend trip. What I'm saying is I always leave wanting more. Though I am certainly very happy for what little time I had.

What does it take for you to get your fix? Is it number of days out? Mileage? Epic ness? (I.e. things or happenings that make for great stories to tell your grandkids...like the time you struggled across Mt. Washington in 75mph winds and a wind chill of -40 or when lightning stuck your tent in the middle of the night).

What’s it take to get your backcountry fix? And for those that have certain addictions to certain substances...that’s not the kind of fix I am referring to. ;)
when i am not in the backcountry,my heart and mind is always there,i spend at least a week a month in the woods,and more on vacation,if i had my way
i would be on the trail some were 24/7.i never get enough of time in the woods.basically 99.9 percent of my off time is backpacking,i day hike on my work days to help maintain my sanity:cool: neo