PDA

View Full Version : Swami - A new hiking record?

Malto
11-22-2012, 09:14
Many of you have probably heard that there is a hiker, Swami (Cam Honan) that is getting close to finishing a calendar year triple crown. I had been in awe of this potential accomplishment and have following his journey since the early days of the PCT and then onto the CDT and AT. This week I hiked with him a bit and a chance to get to know him. Swami is certainly not a glory seeker at all. In his mind the triple crown seems to be just a part of his total 12 hikes that he has done over the last two years. But yesterday it hit me that he may be on track to have the highest miles hiked in either a calendar year or within a 12 month period. Prior to the Triple Crown this year he also hiked the end of the Florida Trail, a collection or trails in the SW that he is calling the Southwest Horseshoe Trail (GET and Hayduke among others ) and the Ouachita Trail. When he completes the AT in late December he will have hiked somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,200 miles this year. When I asked him if that would be the highest in a year, his response... "I hadn't really thought about it."

So I ask the Whiteblaze community. "would his 10,200 miles be the highest known distance walked in a year?"

His 12 hike journal: http://www.thehikinglife.com/journal/

Rasty
11-22-2012, 09:57
He may have it. A quick Google search only came up with a marathon runner with 12,300 miles.

hikerboy57
11-22-2012, 09:59
thats an average of 28 mpd. i say its impossible.:)
did he take any zeros?
all i can say is wow.

kayak karl
11-22-2012, 10:49
did he take any zeros?
all i can say is wow.
but he hasn't asked questions on WB. how could he do this without the advice from the experts? :D

Lone Wolf
11-22-2012, 10:55
but he hasn't asked questions on WB. how could he do this without the advice from the experts? :D

yeah really. i feel sorry for newbies comin' here for advice

tdoczi
11-22-2012, 11:06
did he take any zeros?
all i can say is wow.

high mileage days, hiking in the whites in october. i bet he didnt even start out slow and build up his leg muscles. this guy is clearly doing it all wrong.

HermesUL
11-22-2012, 11:24
high mileage days, hiking in the whites in october. i bet he didnt even start out slow and build up his leg muscles. this guy is clearly doing it all wrong.

He didn't even start this year, of course he didn't start slow! I'm sure he wasn't going quite this fast when his 12 thru-hike adventure began, but I bet he'd still have out-walked any of us starting out.

I'm really impressed with the guy--I'd like to know whether or not he has a record for the most miles hiked in one consecutive trip--I doubt anyone's done the 15k miles that he's approaching.

One question remains: what will he do now?

canoe
11-22-2012, 11:31
He didn't even start this year, of course he didn't start slow! I'm sure he wasn't going quite this fast when his 12 thru-hike adventure began, but I bet he'd still have out-walked any of us starting out.

I'm really impressed with the guy--I'd like to know whether or not he has a record for the most miles hiked in one consecutive trip--I doubt anyone's done the 15k miles that he's approaching.

One question remains: what will he do now?

He'll do the Forrest Gump... go back the way he came...

No doubt this guy is one hiking machine

hikerboy57
I'm thinking shrimp boat,

Sly
It's pretty certain he'll break Squeaky's time of 239 days, to do the Triple Crown. I believe he's on track to do it in just over 7 months. Whether he hiked the same route is another matter.

canoe
11-22-2012, 11:32
or ping pong

Dogwood
11-22-2012, 12:09
Much of my non-working life is spent hiking. Deserts, jungles, mountains or coast; I don’t really have a preference. If I’m out in nature with everything I need in the world on my back, chances are my smile is wide and my thoughts are clear. - Swami

This comment brought tears to my eyes.

15000 miles, 18 months, averaging 28 MPD, that's a long long long distance hiker!

wren again
12-06-2012, 19:40
Enjoying reading about this great feet feat.

greenmtnboy
12-06-2012, 21:42
What will he do for an encore??

bamboo bob
12-06-2012, 21:52
did he take any zeros?
all i can say is wow. I met Cam when he came through Vermont. He was doing 33 miles a day. fast and light. I hope someone meets him at Spinger with Champagne on New Years Eve.

Malto
12-06-2012, 22:16
He is on track to finish before new years eve. I'm flirting with heading down for the final Ga section but I suspect my up to now very understanding wife could have other plans. My swami finish prediction- dec 26th

k2basecamp
12-07-2012, 07:26
Okay, is he independently wealthy? How does he support himself I wonder.

Don H
12-21-2012, 09:24
As of his last post on December 9th he had just over 550 miles to go. He's been doing about 32 miles a day so at that pace he needs about 17 more days since his last post. That is unless he hits bad weather that holds him up a few days.
My guess is by the end of today he should be through the Smokeys.
Hope he makes it!

Violent Green
12-22-2012, 14:44
I think he'll have it pretty much wrapped up. As of this morning, Mt. Leconte has only 2in of snow on the ground which means the rest of the Smokies and surrounding mountains should have even less.

Ryan

Malto
12-22-2012, 14:54
Ha! The two inches of snow is the least of the worries in the Smokys. I just returned from trying to keep up with Swami from Erwin into the Smokys. When we hit Newfound Gap it was 19 degrees with what we were told was Gale force sustained winds with gusts almost 100mph. No idea if the blasts that hit us we're that high or not, my internal wind gauge doesn't go that high. The wind and expect single digit lows were much more problematic than the snow. Also the streams that were the trail on Thursday became solid ice on Friday. Definitely not a show stopper but it did slow things down. It took 5 hours to go the 13 odd miles into Newfound Gap from Tri Corner.

Swami is still holding strong, I have never seen someone so at home on the trail regardless of conditions. He will have further weather to overcome but I am confident he will make Springer by years end.

coolness
12-22-2012, 15:43
Wow..... That's crazy!! and very cool......:)

Aquonehostel
12-22-2012, 15:54
Respect, hats off