PDA

View Full Version : Best Freestanding Tent Under 2lbs?

NaturalHiker
11-22-2012, 15:42
Don't use trekking pole's so pretty sure the Tarptent Moment is the way to go, although the Rainbow doesn't look bad either.

What you guys think?

G-FOURce
11-22-2012, 15:49
both look like great tents. is the rainbow truly free-standing if it has to be staked? of the two, the Moment looks to be truly free-standing if you go with the optional pole (although the pole is 7oz so the all-in weight would break your 2lb ceiling).

Rasty
11-22-2012, 16:37
I have the double rainbow which is only freestanding if you use trekking poles. The Rainbow and Moment both need trekking poles to be free standing. The double rainbow takes about 2 minutes to pitch and not being free standing has not been a problem for me so far. I think the only difference between the moment and rainbow is the direction of the single pole.

johnnybgood
11-22-2012, 17:10
Really can't go wrong with a Henry Shires . I've heard nothing but good reviews from owners of his Tarptents.
The Moment is supposedly super easy to set up and weighs in around 1 lb & half w/o the pole , making gram weenies salivate.

Rasty
11-22-2012, 17:26
Really can't go wrong with a Henry Shires . I've heard nothing but good reviews from owners of his Tarptents.
The Moment is supposedly super easy to set up and weighs in around 1 lb & half w/o the pole , making gram weenies salivate.

You will need the pole to set up the Moment.

simply_light
01-09-2013, 12:24
The Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 is a pretty good tent in this category. It is right at 2 lbs and if you leave all the unnecessary things out and sub some ultralight Titanium stakes for their stock ones, could be a hair under.

Franco
01-09-2013, 19:48
Yes you need the extra pole for the Moment to get it freestanding but stands up with two stakes only so very fast to set up and or move about.In fact a couple of rocks over the ends will keep it up nicely.
The BA Fly Creek UL1 is called freestanding , however it really needs a minimum of six stakes to hold it in shape.
( I look after TT in Australia, however that does not change the above...)
Setting up the Moment in 49 sec :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWZQKivY2SA&list=UU0PuLUKvG7Fxxex5BMVK4vw& index=50

note dry set up.

Dogwood
01-10-2013, 01:23
Don't use trekking pole's so pretty sure the Tarptent Moment is the way to go, although the Rainbow doesn't look bad either.

What you guys think?

Henry's designs and shelters are GREAT UL - light wt shelters. CAREFULLY, reconsider, what you said about your comparison though. First, since you don't use trekking poles neither shelter is truly free standing without them, a stick, or dedicated shelter pole. Second, since you need one of those I just mentioned, and, again, don't use trekking poles, to make it freestanding, it will possibly/probably entail pushing the shelter wt a little over not under 2 lbs to make it freestanding! Your comparison is faulty, not based on your actual usage. This can be quite common in UL circles, especially when not CAREFULLY considering how YOU will use the shelter or CAREFULLY reading the specs and description of gear, particularly when it comes to UL shelters. This is something I too had to consider because I don't typically use trekking poles either. When I set up one of my shelters that many hikers set up using trekking poles I have to use a stick, or when a stick isn't available, a dedicated tarp/shelter pole pushing the shelter wt higher than advertised!

One more note that I will share with you so you don't have to find out the hard way. Even with freestanding shelters you probably would be wise to stake them out or anchor/weigh them solidly to the ground because I've seen at least three times freestanding shelters blow away, twice with gear in the shelter. Once on the AT in Shenandoah NP when the shelter blew away with the hiker's gear in it over a cliff shredding the tent and littering the gear down the hillside in the process!

both look like great tents. is the rainbow truly free-standing if it has to be staked? of the two, the Moment looks to be truly free-standing if you go with the optional pole (although the pole is 7oz so the all-in weight would break your 2lb ceiling).

Hence, Rasty's and Franco's comments too.

stranger
01-11-2013, 08:04
Unless you have a very good reason based on experience...I would forget about the freestanding feature. Let me put it this way, no tent is freestanding in New Zealand due to a little thing called wind : )

There are alot of designs under 32 ounces right now, but none that I know of that are freestanding, and those who comes close usually are saggy and sloppy without stakes. I agree that the Fly Creek is not free standing, that's a joke really. I'm fairly sure I have one of the lightest freestanding tent out there right now, the Big Agnes Copper Spur 1, which the new model comes in a about 39 ounces, and it still requires 4 stakes for the fly in most situations (however I usually use 8), but again, in high wind or heavy rain, you are going to need to stake that puppy out.

I would look at the following:
- Tarptent Notch
- Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
- Lightheart Solo

For more traditional shelters:
- Big Agnes Fly Creek or Copper Spur
- Easton Kilo
- MSR Carbon Reflex or Hubba if you fear Carbon Fiber (I certainly do)

G-FOURce
01-11-2013, 08:23
the fully-loaded carry weight of my BA Fly Creek UL2 Platinum was under 2lbs. it's pricey, but it fits your requirements. the fully-loaded carry weight of my BA Fly Creek UL1 is 2lb 3oz, so a smidge over your target weight. good luck.

leaftye
01-11-2013, 17:25
Forget about freestanding. Get a tent that's provides a nice balance between usable interior space and ease of setup. Easy setup in this case means it's super quick to pitch and fully breakdown.

foreversuperawesome
02-03-2013, 21:19
the fully-loaded carry weight of my BA Fly Creek UL2 Platinum was under 2lbs. it's pricey, but it fits your requirements. the fully-loaded carry weight of my BA Fly Creek UL1 is 2lb 3oz, so a smidge over your target weight. good luck.

I own one of these, it is great. You can shave some weight by not bringing any of the stuff bags and all of the stakes. :)