PDA

View Full Version : good caves in Chattanooga?

MrMiner2
11-22-2012, 18:30
I'm Wanting to go caving somewhere. Been a few times in other places. Any suggestions?

Elder
11-22-2012, 19:40
Go to www.caves.org (http://www.caves.org) and check out Chattanooga Grotto, Pidgeon Mtn. Grotto and others local to TAG. Knoxvilles got them too.

MrMiner2
11-22-2012, 21:36
Yeah knkxville was my next ? I live there

Feral Bill
11-23-2012, 02:22
Drive a bit south and you'll find northern Alabama is riddled with caves.

"Atlas"
11-23-2012, 11:12
Did some caving in the Shanandoahs along the way this summer. Luray VA has nice tourist traps they call caves.

brian039
11-23-2012, 12:33
Tumbling Rock cave in North Alabama near Stevenson, it's about 30-45 miles SW of Chattanooga. I've done quite a bit of caving in that area and that's the best one. http://www.scci.org/preserves/tumblingrock/tumblingrock.html

chynabear
11-26-2012, 13:34
Tumbling Rock is a nice cave. But be prepared for an 8 hour trip in and out. It is not a cave for beginners. I am an avid caver as well as a backpacker and there is literally thousands of caves in TAG, from easy to VERY difficult. A lot of them have vertical work involved. So unless you have the gear and have repelled and climbed before you want to stay out of those caves. A woman was hurt in PettyJohns last weekend and had to be rescued. There are actually over 8000 known surveyed caves in TAG, more per capita than anywhere else in the U.S. The thing is that cavers hold these caves dear to their heart, and will not tell just anyone their locations. Some devout their lives to the conservation of these caves and take it VERY personally when there are vandalized. Most caves are on private property and permission is needed from land owners to enter. A lot are completely closed due White Nose Syndrome (WNS), a disease that is killing endangered species of bats caused mostly from careless cavers who introduce foreign substances into the already very delicate ecosystem that is different in every cave. With that said, the best advise was from Elder, check out local grottos, get to know some REAL cavers, and get the right gear. Cavers hate heroes that think they know what they are doing and end up spending 18 hours of their volunteered time to rescue these people.. If you don't have time to educate yourself try visiting one of the many commercial caves we have in TAG. There are good ones. Cumberland Caverns or Raccoon Mountain Caverns are 2 very good ones........You CAN AND WILL die in a cave if not properly trained!

ParkRat09
11-26-2012, 23:33
Sorry I can't really answer your question even tho I LIVE in Chattanooga. I work at a climbing shop here in town so I can ask around and get back to u if u like