PDA

View Full Version : Is one able to hammock the whole way up the AT?

newhampshire camper
05-20-2005, 12:23
I have just recently switched to hammock camping and I was wondering if it is feasable to hammock through the whole trail or does one have to switch to a tent when going through the Whites. I guess what I'm getting at is do you have to hike below treeline just to string up your hammock every night, or can you find places near the shelters to hang? Any thru-hikers have any comments? Thanks!

neo
05-20-2005, 14:50
hammocking is easier than tenting,i suggest you buy a copy of ed speers hammock camping book,it is a great book on the basics of hammock camping
i got a copy for me and my brother:cool: neo

http://www.hammockcamping.com/

neo
05-20-2005, 14:56
i have heard some hikers have hiked off trail below trail to avoid the expensive hut system were there are trees,i guess i will find out in sept.:cool: neo

bulldog49
05-20-2005, 15:01
hammocking is easier than tenting,i suggest you buy a copy of ed speers hammock camping book,it is a great book on the basics of hammock camping
i got a copy for me and my brother:cool: neo

http://www.hammockcamping.com/

Tenting is easier than hammocking.

neo
05-20-2005, 15:49

hammocking is way more comfortable too:cool: neo

Just Jeff
05-20-2005, 16:58
I've found hammocking much easier than tenting, but I haven't done the Whites yet.

Hammock Hanger
05-20-2005, 19:16
I hammocked from Springer to Maine. Even in the Whites a few times. Sue/HH

SGT Rock
05-20-2005, 19:20
I intend to hammock my whole thru-hike. I think it is something like burning the ships when you hit the shore - you will make it happen if that is the only option you have ;)

DustyBoots
05-20-2005, 19:38
I've done a lot of hiking in the Whites. The presidential range is the only area where it will be difficult to hammock. In the mount Washington area you may have to hike 2 miles below the ridge to be legal and to find trees big enough to support a hammock. You will have a steep climb back up to the ridge in the AM. Treat yourself to a night at Lakes of the Clouds Hut. If you ar NOBO luxuries will be hard to find after Pinkham Notch.

minnesotasmith
05-20-2005, 20:45
is Bivy Sack + Stealth Camping (no fire, no daylight camping, move far enough off the Trail, etc.)

rickb
05-21-2005, 09:39
In summertime, one is prohibitted to camp above treeline in the Whites-- defined as where the trees are less than 8 feet tall. That holds whether you are in a tent, tarp, hammock or bivey.

Plenty of trees in legal areas, though. More so than flat spots to pitch a tent, anyway.

FWIW-- Its not hard to camp legally in the Whites, and still avoid the huts and/or caretake sites. Most thru hikers find enough value in the AMC spots to take advantage of them, however.

minnesotasmith
05-21-2005, 14:59
"In summertime, one is prohibitted to camp above treeline in the Whites-- defined as where the trees are less than 8 feet tall. That holds whether you are in a tent, tarp, hammock or bivey."

That is most of the basis of the Appalachian Money Club's setup to force money out of people who supposedly can walk or sit on rocky land without destroying it but would be nuclear weapons if they lay down upon it and slept. (The rest is how it would somehow be a terrible thing if you camped within a half-mile or whatever of their huts.)

Obviously, not everyone who hikes in the Whites shares this religion, nor has hiking money to spare for the AMC.

newhampshire camper
05-21-2005, 18:28
OK, Thanks for the input everyone!!!

titanium_hiker
05-22-2005, 17:14
you can also set up your hammock on the ground...

titanium_hiker

trip
05-28-2005, 14:18
If you're thru-hiking, you can get work-for-stay at nearly every place in the Whites, including campsite and shelter areas and huts. Just make it clear how broke you are, and "can't they find something with which you can assist?" Also, there are decent stealth spots near all of the road crossings.

Tramper Al
05-28-2005, 21:03
"In summertime, one is prohibitted to camp above treeline in the Whites-- defined as where the trees are less than 8 feet tall. That holds whether you are in a tent, tarp, hammock or bivey."

That is most of the basis of the Appalachian Money Club's setup to force money out of people who supposedly can walk or sit on rocky land without destroying it but would be nuclear weapons if they lay down upon it and slept. (The rest is how it would somehow be a terrible thing if you camped within a half-mile or whatever of their huts.)

Whoa, big chip on shoulder? Why not lighten up that pack weight, and give some useful advice if you can.

NH Camper: Using a hammock through the Whites ought to be not much more difficult than using a tent. You will need to get below treeline to camp, as has been pointed out any tenter/tarper would as well, but you might actually find a decent hammock site easier/sooner than a decent tent site. Do be aware of all of your options, including work-for-stay and RMC facilities in the Northern Presidentials.

Hope that helps . . .

Mr. Clean
05-29-2005, 06:54
Actually, those aren't AMC rules, they're National Forest Service rules and were set up to minimize damage to the environment.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/white/recreation/land_above/backcountry_rules.html

I can't do links, so cut/paste should work.

Hey, looks like it worked!

newhampshire camper
05-29-2005, 07:51
Whoa, big chip on shoulder? Why not lighten up that pack weight, and give some useful advice if you can.

NH Camper: Using a hammock through the Whites ought to be not much more difficult than using a tent. You will need to get below treeline to camp, as has been pointed out any tenter/tarper would as well, but you might actually find a decent hammock site easier/sooner than a decent tent site. Do be aware of all of your options, including work-for-stay and RMC facilities in the Northern Presidentials.

Hope that helps . . .
Thanks Tramper Al!! I will find out soon enough!!:dance