PDA

View Full Version : Cuben Fiber Smartphone Case

lukabrazi
11-23-2012, 18:34
I was researching waterproof phone cases and found out something cool tonight. An iPhone in a small cuben fiber stuff sack is still fully functional. You can use the touch screen and make calls trough the cuben. Zpacks makes a small wallet size cuben stuff sack and for 5 dollars they will add a roll top closure making it waterproof. (Zpacks.com) So for like .1 ounces you have a waterproof case that you don't need to remove the phone from to use.

kayak karl
11-23-2012, 19:17
be careful if you are in the sunny. it will sweat inside and rust the phone from the inside out. put a silica packet in with it.

leaftye
11-23-2012, 20:54
How can you still use the capacitive touchscreen on the iPhone with a cuben fiber cover? Go ahead and buy it, but I don't think it's going to work.

HeartFire
11-23-2012, 21:18
How can you still use the capacitive touchscreen on the iPhone with a cuben fiber cover? Go ahead and buy it, but I don't think it's going to work.
My iphone touch screen works just fine through cuben. Since I keep plenty of cuben on hand for tents, I thought I'd give it a try - you can't really see through it - even with some of the lighter grade cuben in white, but it does work. It also works through a ziplock bag.

SouthMark
11-23-2012, 21:24

Well he is right. It does work through cuben fiber. Been doing it for a year or so using a small cuben sack from Zpacks.

STICK
11-23-2012, 21:34
This does work! This was fun... After reading this I ran back and grabbed my ZPacks cuben wallet and threw in my Samsung Galaxy 1...it works. I thought it was cool enough to do a video and will upload it in a bit...I will post it here in a bit...

lukabrazi
11-23-2012, 22:06
Here's another ultralight waterproof option. Nano-coating...
http://www.liquipel.com/

STICK
11-23-2012, 22:41
Here is the short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfTAOtI8mTQ

leaftye
11-23-2012, 23:21
Good to know. Thanks.

bubonicplay
11-27-2012, 00:44
A plastic ziplock works just as good.

SouthMark
11-27-2012, 09:47
A plastic ziplock works just as good.

Yes but you cannot operate the touch screen through the plastic as you can the cuben.

quilteresq
11-27-2012, 10:19
I'm shortly going to send my phone to these folks: http://www.liquipel.com

lukabrazi
11-27-2012, 11:48
I've read lots of goo things about Liquipel. Evidently it works. Someday it will hopefully just be a standard part of the manufacturing process. Please lets us know how your experience goes.

HeartFire
11-27-2012, 17:27
My iphone works perfectly through a ziplock bag (a heavy duty one)

bubonicplay
11-27-2012, 18:34
X2 try it before you say it doesn't work lol.

bubonicplay
11-27-2012, 18:35
A ziplock is far more waterproof too.

SouthMark
11-28-2012, 08:19
A ziplock is far more waterproof too.

Not when you have to use the phone in a driving rain. You would have to take it out of the ziplock to use it but not the cuben sack.

leaftye
11-28-2012, 09:09
X2 try it before you say it doesn't work lol.

Who said it doesn't work? I didn't.

Not when you have to use the phone in a driving rain. You would have to take it out of the ziplock to use it but not the cuben sack.

The wallet size bags mentioned in the first post are sewn. They won't be waterproof even with an added roll top. There are roll top bags, but they're bigger, and made of thicker material you won't be able to see your screen through.

Heartfire says she can use her iPhone through a thick ziplock bag. I don't see what a driving rain has to do with anything. She also said the screen isn't very visible, even with thin white cuben, so you'd probably have to remove it from the cuben bag anyhow.

An umbrella is great for using a phone in the rain, even without a bag, although I keep mine in a ziplock freezer bag unless I want to take pictures.

lukabrazi
11-28-2012, 20:13
They would make them waterproof and tape the seams if asked I'm sure. Thats what they do with their sewn roll top bags. When I emailed them they said they could possibly work out a less bulky option (waterproof zipper instead of roll top) but are on an extended trip right now. Ziplock is definitely cheaper but much more prone to punctures. The point of my original post was really just that I thought it was cool that a phone worked through the material. This includes talking. When you tried it through a ziplock did you try making a call and talking? I didn't get to this.