PDA

View Full Version : Footwear for sweat, bursitis, shin splints and bad knees!

sylntgrn1981
11-23-2012, 18:38
I need help find a shoe that doesnt cause injury so I dont have to keep stopping. I did springer to fontana in a pair of low top merrell moab ventilators with no goretex. These worked great for about 100 miles and then I could literally feel my arches drop with each step. Shortly after came knee pain. Then for the last 20 miles I had terrible shin splints and had to stop at Fontana. So it took me about a month to recover and this time I went with Brooks Cascadia 3. Did multiple 6 mile runs with them with issues or pain. I also liked the quick drying as I sweat waaaay more than any normal human. So I picked up at Fontana and went a little heavier at 40 lbs to make it all the way thru the smokies. The 1st 20 miles I was flying up and down the hills. Then the bursitis began. Within 5 miles it felt as if someone had hit me in both heels with a hammer , but it only hurt if Im going uphill. Then on the downhill my knees would hurt. It was so bad I had to pull out at Clungmans dome. Can anyone Please recommend something to help me out. It took me a full month of wearing sandals to recover from the bursitis. I just want to get back out there. Additional info. I am a neutral pronator.

Don H
11-23-2012, 18:46
"went a little heavier at 40 lbs to make it all the way thru the smokies. The 1st 20 miles I was flying up and down the hills"

Maybe your problem is not so much your footwear as your hiking style. I'm not one to tell people how to hike but since you asked I suggest you lighten up and slow down. Keep your knees slightly flexed and take smaller steps on down hills. Get in to shape before setting out and start off slow and build up distance gradually.

Are you using hiking poles?

Praha4
11-23-2012, 20:45
my suggestions are try using Superfeet inserts instead of the foam factory inserts in your hiking shoes. For low top trail runners I use the blue Superfeet. For hiking shoes or boots I use the green Superfeet. They provide better arch support and better plantar fascia support.

The knee pain during downhills could be Illotibial band syndrome. The heel pain could be plantar fasciitis or achilles tendonitis. In both cases, you need to work on more stretching and building leg muscle strength for hills. You could visit a podiatrist or good physical therapist for professional medical advice on the problems. Everyone is different, it's hard too diagnose a medical issue like this, but those are the general tips I'd give based on what u said.

good luck

Firefighter503
11-23-2012, 22:44
I agree with everything Don and Praha4 said. I'd try the Cascadias a little longer with Superfeet (I use green), trekking poles, and low mileage (like 5-8 miles a day low) for and then add a couple miles a day after a couple of weeks.

LDog
11-23-2012, 22:57
Work with a physical therapist specializing in sports injuries to figure out why this is happening.

Nutbrown
11-24-2012, 13:14
I'd lower the miles and use poles. But first go see a sports med person.

MuddyWaters
11-24-2012, 19:46
Yep, bursitis and shin splints are repetitive motion injuries.
Too much, too fast, too soon
Go lighter, go slower

gregpphoto
12-03-2012, 18:39
my suggestions are try using Superfeet inserts instead of the foam factory inserts in your hiking shoes. For low top trail runners I use the blue Superfeet. For hiking shoes or boots I use the green Superfeet. They provide better arch support and better plantar fascia support.

The knee pain during downhills could be Illotibial band syndrome. The heel pain could be plantar fasciitis or achilles tendonitis. In both cases, you need to work on more stretching and building leg muscle strength for hills. You could visit a podiatrist or good physical therapist for professional medical advice on the problems. Everyone is different, it's hard too diagnose a medical issue like this, but those are the general tips I'd give based on what u said.

good luck

ITBS is more of an uphill issue with the knee, I believe. Can be caused by a muscle imbalance. I battled that last year, some phys. ther. and I am good to go.

BFI
12-03-2012, 21:39
Work with a physical therapist specializing in sports injuries to figure out why this is happening.

See a physiotherapist and balance out your leg muscle strength, also you might want to consider a pair of orthotics, store bought inserts can only do so much. I switched from leather boots to a pair of Obozs and my knee pain went away, so be sure your shoes match your feet.