PDA

View Full Version : Mile Markers

Giantsbane
11-24-2012, 11:20
I'm not sure if anyone has already asked this before (or knows it) but how do people track their miles on the trail? Are there mile markers? Or do people just use the guide book and kind of guess?

moytoy
11-24-2012, 11:23
No mile markers. You will see signs that tell you how far to a gap or summit or such.

max patch
11-24-2012, 11:30
The various handbooks, databooks, guidebooks have thousands of data points (Dan Wingfoot Memorial Shelter is at mile 450, stream crosses trail at mile 450.8, cross forest service road at mile 453, etc). Here is an example (look under NOBO and SOBO for mileage references):

http://www.theatguide.com/imagesATG/DataSpread.pdf

Pedaling Fool
11-24-2012, 11:47
Like everyone says, there's just reference points. However, it's incredible after hiking day-after-day, how you become very adept at guaging your speed and distance covered with nothing more than a watch to track time.

HikerMom58
11-24-2012, 12:10
You don't know how many times I wish they had mile markers on the AT... if they did, I have a feelin they would bring a smile to ur face or tears to ur eyes.. just sayin. :)

brian039
11-24-2012, 12:11
There are hundreds of landmarks that are marked in the guidebook, you always know where you are within a couple of miles.

Kerosene
11-24-2012, 12:27
Part of the problem with mile markers would be that they become obsolete as the trail is inevitably re-routed over time.

hikerboy57
11-24-2012, 13:07
they usually have mile markers at the exit ramps.

MuddyWaters
11-24-2012, 14:45
As was said, you will always know where you are to within about a mile or so, most of the time less, maybe just half mile. Just based on the last landmark, and how long you have been walking. No need for mileage markers. All the landmarks have mileage locations in the guide

Rasty
11-24-2012, 14:53
Your awareness of mileage becomes better the more tired you are. When fresh I'm not paying attention to the mileage. When I get tired I'm aware of each 1/10th of a mile to the next planned campsite.

BabySue
11-24-2012, 14:57
Two very helpful sites:
http://www.summitpost.org/appalachian-trail-mileage-chart/593282
www.atdist.com

moytoy
11-24-2012, 15:00
I hike a lot where there are mile markers. I hate them because I find myself looking for the next marker instead of just enjoying my walk. I should be able to just ignore them but I can't.:)

garlic08
11-24-2012, 15:05
Yeah, that's one thing I hate about the long road walks on some of the Western trails. There are usually mile posts. On the PNT, I had to detour sixty miles on SH 20 in Washington, around a fire in the North Cascades NP. Sixty miles on one road, with a marker every mile.

daddytwosticks
11-24-2012, 16:33
Part of the problem with mile markers would be that they become obsolete as the trail is inevitably re-routed over time....and some yahoo would burn them in the campfire if they were made of wood. :)

Pedaling Fool
11-24-2012, 18:42
...and some yahoo would burn them in the campfire if they were made of wood. :)That'd be me:D I start a fire nearly every night and even at home I burn quite a bit. Just tryin' to do my best to help warm up the globe :D It's been chilly here in Florida lately :sun

johnnybgood
11-24-2012, 19:32
Having an AT guide book with mileage data available is one way, another being the mile marker posts like found in SNP.

Using time to distance is another way assuming you calculate the speed to which your hiking. Of course a GPS can do all this . Quality pedometers can too.

MuddyWaters
11-24-2012, 19:39
...and some yahoo would burn them in the campfire if they were made of wood. :)

And, as the Ozark Highlands Trail has proven, bears will eat them if they are plastic...

Datto
11-24-2012, 20:18
Doesn't matter much until you see the 2-0-0-0 painted on the pavement smack in the middle of a backwoods road in Maine. That wakes you up and you think, "Holy cow, I've just carried my backpack 2,000 miles. Incredible."

That's about the time it hits you hard. The adventure, the trek, the [fill in the blank] is coming to an end.

I'd bet most AT thru-hikers stop and think at that very spot -- what it would take to get to get to Katahdin and turn around and head south.

I sure did.

Datto

Datto
11-24-2012, 20:42
To answer your question more directly, most people just look at the AT data book at road crossings and points of interests -- milepoints are designated in the AT data book where a cross trail intersects with the AT or this or that creek intersects with the Appalachian Trail at such-and-such milepoint.

Also, the AT maps that have the profile maps (the profile maps are way more important to an AT thru-hiker than the lateral plan maps) usually indicate the distances between shelters as well as give you a gander at the terrain you'll face for the day ahead.

It's funny -- AT thru-hikers are notorious for complaining about the supposed inaccuracy of the AT data book and maps.

Then later when you hike the PCT and you find out what fallutin' wild guesses actually are made by the data book makers. Not even close.

It gives you an unstated appreciation of the AT data book.

On the CDT just about the time you've got something or another book or map out that supposedly represents the data you're expecting -- that's about the time the CDT completely disappears and you're lost. Again. For the umpteenth time that day. You get out the GPS and you've let your mind wonder as long-distance hikers tend to do and you realize you've hiked completely off the GPS screen and the CDT is not even visible on the GPS without several zoom outs from where you're currently located. A couple of "Golly" exclamations then ensue.

That's about the time you realize you really are -- way, way out in the middle of nowhere at 13,000 feet and lost to boot.

Ha.

On my AT thru-hike during those few times I was lost -- I was really less than 100 yards away from the AT. It's really difficult to get lost on the AT.

Datto

fredmugs
11-28-2012, 08:13
You don't know how many times I wish they had mile markers on the AT... if they did, I have a feelin they would bring a smile to ur face or tears to ur eyes.. just sayin. :)

If you REALLY want to know where you're at I believe that Garmin sells an AT program for your GPS that tells you how far it is to the next shelter. It may provide a lot more info than that but I'm not sure.

Also, if you're using a GPS, you can pre-enter in waypoints and just describe them as mile markers instead as use symbols to show them as shelters, water sources, etc.

10-K
11-28-2012, 08:16
There are mile markers on the southern leg of the Iron Mt. Trail that runs parallel to the AT from TN91 into Damascus.

Very interesting....but I think it would drive me crazy if the AT had mile markers.

fredmugs
11-28-2012, 08:17
This made me laugh on the PCT.

peakbagger
11-28-2012, 08:36
Maine long ago used to have mile markers and some long term maintainer take rpide in knowing where they were. Freuent relocations makes them a moving target. The 2000 mile point paited on the road on Long Dam Falls road seems to get repainted on occasion.

Very soon into a hike the far more important thing is hours on trail not miles. Everyone has a set pace and it will speed up as they progress or the terrain gets easier, going by hours on trail is a lot better way to pace.

LIhikers
12-05-2012, 03:23
The only mile marker I know of is somewhere in New Hampshire, or was it Vermont, I can't remember.
It doesn't really matter since it's no longer acurate. I do have a photo of it but I'm not going to bother to find the photo.

HikerMom58
12-05-2012, 22:13
If you REALLY want to know where you're at I believe that Garmin sells an AT program for your GPS that tells you how far it is to the next shelter. It may provide a lot more info than that but I'm not sure.

Also, if you're using a GPS, you can pre-enter in waypoints and just describe them as mile markers instead as use symbols to show them as shelters, water sources, etc.

That's a great idea fredmugs... I think I shall try that with the GPS. I would get a much newer GPS than we have now tho.... it would be worth it. :)

Blissful
12-07-2012, 15:55
Every so often there are mile markers. But they are mostly inaccurate because the mileage to Katahdin / Springer changes every year.

(I can't get my pic to post, it says it exceeds some limit)

Mr Breeze
12-07-2012, 18:06
That mark on the pavement doesn't exist anymore since the trail has gotten longer. The 2000 mile mark now sits at 4.088 Ft. atop Bigelow MTN. - Avery Peak. :D

Prime Time
12-07-2012, 22:23
After hiking for 40+ years I have come to realize that you don't need mile markers, you just want them. On a long hike, you get up early, hit the trail by 7:00 - 7:30, hike until 5:00 - 5:30, and cover 18 - 20 miles. How much more information does one need? Just for something to do, we read our guide book and confirm that we went from mile 337.4 to mile 356.8, or some such thing.

Kerosene
12-08-2012, 11:14
That mark on the pavement doesn't exist anymore since the trail has gotten longer. The 2000 mile mark now sits at 4.088 Ft. atop Bigelow MTN. - Avery Peak. :DI'll finally get there next Fall!