PDA

View Full Version : Black heart on the appalachian trail

1azarus
11-24-2012, 16:09
Anybody read this book or know anything about its triple crown author Forrester? ... Just found it at the library

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

MuddyWaters
11-24-2012, 21:28
Nope.
There is a thread on it in the book forum though.
Conspicuoulsly appeared to be "self promoted" thru subterfuge, which isnt endearing.

1azarus
11-24-2012, 23:00
Nope.
There is a thread on it in the book forum though.
Conspicuoulsly appeared to be "self promoted" thru subterfuge, which isnt endearing.

Not at all endearing, I agree. Thanks...

forrest!
11-25-2012, 06:58
Anybody read this book or know anything about its triple crown author Forrester? ... Just found it at the library

I read it. Lots of violence, drugs, alcohol, and pointless murders. Not a happy ending. Overall a very negative take on the trail and people in general. But if you like that kind of novel you may enjoy it. I didn't.

CrumbSnatcher
11-25-2012, 10:20
i bought this book a few weeks ago, having a hard time even wanting to finish it.
the book doesn't have much to do with the trail at all IMO.

Sugarfoot
11-25-2012, 16:36
I downloaded and read Black Heart this afternoon, unfortunately before reading this string. It is very "Bridge Over San Luis Rey," a series of lives that find a common end with a stiff push on the back from very high places from a lovely woman who has just one tiny little flaw, a fondness for killing. The author has obviously hiked the AT. I found only two very minor flaws in details. Some of the writing is beautiful and Forrester clearly understands the beauty of the trail and its power to transform those who surrender to its magic. Not all transformations are permanent, however, and some are quite fatal. When I sit at the overview on Rimrock in Georgia this April, at the start of my thru-hike, I will be wary of anyone approaching me from behind. Of course, I will be even more scared if someone, or something, approaches me from in front ....

perrito
12-01-2012, 20:52
I think this could have been a good book had it been twice the length and had a better ending. I pretty much choked it down.

fiddlehead
12-01-2012, 22:13
It's a little dark.
But an interesting read by a very experienced hiker.

tiptoe
12-02-2012, 11:56
The nytimes reviewer was not impressed. Think I'll pass.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/books/review/black-heart-on-the-appalachian-trail-by-t-j-forrester.html

perrito
12-02-2012, 12:12
The nytimes reviewer was not impressed. Think I'll pass.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/books/review/black-heart-on-the-appalachian-trail-by-t-j-forrester.html

Spot on review.