PDA

View Full Version : Will Cuban fiber tarp be durable?

Cozy
11-24-2012, 17:25
Will a Cuban fiber tarp for a hammock be durable for a thru hike or should I stick to silnylon?

Also, if anyone has the Hammock Gear standard Cuban fiber cat tarp, do I have to run a ridge line for it or are there 2 ridge line tie outs? Here's the link to the tarp I am looking at possibly buying instead of a superfly.

http://www.hammockgear.com/standard-cuben-fiber-tarp-with-doors/

Thx.

gunner76
11-24-2012, 21:54
If you can afford it get it. Cuben tarps are strong but subject to being damaged like any other tarp. I have the HG Winter Palace Cuben Tarp with the 12 ft ridgeline and it weighs a whooping 8 oz. I find is easier to use a full length ridge line and hang mine under the ridge line

Dogwood
11-24-2012, 22:56
Well, that depends. Not all Cuben is equal. Cuben comes in different wts just like silny comes in different wts and not all Cuben tarps made by different tarp manufacturers use the same wt Cuben. Even some cuben tarp manufacturers offer several different wt Cubens with heavier wts being not only slightly heavier in wt but also more durable just like Dyneema, silny, spinnaker, etc. If you are not a gram counting weenie and are just getting started with Cuben I wouldn't jump right into the lightest wt Cubens. Cuben is quite tear resistant but will abrade(think of scratch to the pt where it results in a hole so that it leaks). To my knowledge, for practical purposes, Cuben is non-permeable, moisture/vapor doesn't go through it. It doesn't wet out. It can be punctured with something like a tent stake, trekking pole tip or dedicated tarp pole, etc but I don't think anymore so than, for example, silny. You can't puncture it with the tip of your finger though or tear it with your hands. I find, in these aspects it's as durable as similiar wt silny and totally WP. Provided you don't go to a cuben wt that starts bordering on being ridiculously thin or low wt. for a tarp, or construction techniques are questionable, long term use can be quite good. Punctures and small abrasions typically repair easily in the field with duct tape I really don't consider it a fragile UL too good to be true fabric IF not going to the extreme lowest wt cubens for tarp use. And, it's not just for ULers, SULers, etc anymore. It's seeing more widespread use in many applications. But, just like any other relatively new technology, gear, applications, ways of thinking, etc, it's going to take a bit more time before everyone feels equally comfortable and knowledgable with using it.

Durability of a cuben tarp is also affected by how you treat and employ it just like any other piece of gear is affected by how you treat it. For example, distributing tension evenly in any type of fabric tarp is important to it's durabilitry. Look at the way the tarp is pitched in Hammockgear's picture you linked to.

Another biggie, at least in my mind, when it comes to cuben gear durabilty, and this includes cuben tarps, is how the seams are constructed or if seams are even used. I forget the max width cuben comes in but it comes into play when you want a bigger(larger area, greater square footage) sized tarp with no seams. You can check up on that if it's a consideration by inquiring at Zpacks, MLD, etc. I also pay special attention to guy out/tie out and edging construction techniques. I'm not familiar wiith HammockGear gea per say, its cuben construction methods, or cuben wts used but after briefly checking your link I like the way HG does its guy out construction but that's all I can intelligently say about the HG tarp you are considering. I'm not definte about this but it sure looks like the HG tarp you are considering has two ridgeline tieouts, one at each end. Hope that helps a bit.

Razor
11-25-2012, 19:37
I have used a Mountain Laurel Cf tarp for 3 years and am out about 180 > nights a year. Although I am a self confessed shelter rat ,the Cf has been safe and reliable every single pitch. It does have different characteristics as mentioned above but is has served me well and at <5 oz it is a jewel to carry. I expect to get many more years of service because I do take good care of it.

Hoop
11-25-2012, 22:29
Cozy,

I have the 4-season HG cuben tarp you're considering (I got the 12' ridge length). It does have ridge line tie-outs on the ends, as well as one in the center if you decide to run a continuous line over the top (I run mine under).

As long as you take good care, it should be durable for the long haul.

The weight svaings is substantial, and is worth the expense.

Ask HG what colors are available - I was able to get a translucent green.

Cozy
11-25-2012, 23:04
Well, that depends. Not all Cuben is equal. Cuben comes in different wts just like silny comes in different wts and not all Cuben tarps made by different tarp manufacturers use the same wt Cuben. Even some cuben tarp manufacturers offer several different wt Cubens with heavier wts being not only slightly heavier in wt but also more durable just like Dyneema, silny, spinnaker, etc. If you are not a gram counting weenie and are just getting started with Cuben I wouldn't jump right into the lightest wt Cubens. Cuben is quite tear resistant but will abrade(think of scratch to the pt where it results in a hole so that it leaks). To my knowledge, for practical purposes, Cuben is non-permeable, moisture/vapor doesn't go through it. It doesn't wet out. It can be punctured with something like a tent stake, trekking pole tip or dedicated tarp pole, etc but I don't think anymore so than, for example, silny. You can't puncture it with the tip of your finger though or tear it with your hands. I find, in these aspects it's as durable as similiar wt silny and totally WP. Provided you don't go to a cuben wt that starts bordering on being ridiculously thin or low wt. for a tarp, or construction techniques are questionable, long term use can be quite good. Punctures and small abrasions typically repair easily in the field with duct tape I really don't consider it a fragile UL too good to be true fabric IF not going to the extreme lowest wt cubens for tarp use. And, it's not just for ULers, SULers, etc anymore. It's seeing more widespread use in many applications. But, just like any other relatively new technology, gear, applications, ways of thinking, etc, it's going to take a bit more time before everyone feels equally comfortable and knowledgable with using it.

Durability of a cuben tarp is also affected by how you treat and employ it just like any other piece of gear is affected by how you treat it. For example, distributing tension evenly in any type of fabric tarp is important to it's durabilitry. Look at the way the tarp is pitched in Hammockgear's picture you linked to.

Another biggie, at least in my mind, when it comes to cuben gear durabilty, and this includes cuben tarps, is how the seams are constructed or if seams are even used. I forget the max width cuben comes in but it comes into play when you want a bigger(larger area, greater square footage) sized tarp with no seams. You can check up on that if it's a consideration by inquiring at Zpacks, MLD, etc. I also pay special attention to guy out/tie out and edging construction techniques. I'm not familiar wiith HammockGear gea per say, its cuben construction methods, or cuben wts used but after briefly checking your link I like the way HG does its guy out construction but that's all I can intelligently say about the HG tarp you are considering. I'm not definte about this but it sure looks like the HG tarp you are considering has two ridgeline tieouts, one at each end. Hope that helps a bit.

Thx for taking the time to write this information. Very helpful!

Cozy
11-25-2012, 23:08
I sent them email earlier today. Want to double check their return policy in case I get it and decide it's not for me. I have a feeling that I will be pleased based on feedback......

Dogwood
11-26-2012, 00:58
You are welcome Cozy. I currently have some extra time so I can offer more. I included alllllll that info in my post because understanding Cuben plays into questions of durability. Lately, I've been giving new meaning to that "Post Quick Reply' tab button.

Stir Fry
11-26-2012, 10:18
I have used Sil. and now have a Cuben .51 wt. Used it for two years now. 25 or so nights in the woods and only a couple of problems. Seems to me Cuben is more durable then Sil.
Worst conditions I have had Cuben in was, 40 MPH winds and over 2 inches of rain over night. Had a steak pull out two times over night, took care of that crap by puting a large rock on it. Did'nt pull out after that.
It also leaked on the center seam where the stiching was.I took care of that problem before next trip. I taped a 3 inch peice of cuben over the stiching, so that the stiching is no longer exposed. Used it in the yard and no leaks. No rain the next two trips thought.
If I were doing the tarp over I'd use tape no sewing. When I first made the tarp I was concerned about the durability of tape. I'm not concerned any longer as I have several stuff sacks that are taped and they are holding up fine.