PDA

View Full Version : (non water resistant) earbuds maintainable on a thru hike?

Timinator
11-24-2012, 22:58
I'm trying to decide what ear buds to bring along my thru-hike of the CDT. I've looked around for water proof or water resistant ear buds but all the reviews complain of bad sound quality on each one. I'd like to bring the best sounding pair of headphones I can get, but the only good sounding ones seem to be non water resistant.

Right now I'm looking at http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-models/se425-sound-isolating-earphones. I'm willing to bite the bullet on that price tag if I can possibly maintain them outside without them breaking on from the elements in some way.

Does anyone know if this is feasible? Or will they just die on me from moisture build up or something?
Thanks

Slo-go'en
11-24-2012, 23:18
I've been using a pair of JVC model HA-FX30. I've put a lot of miles on them in all kinds of weather and thier still going strong. There's not a whole lot which water can damage in an ear bud and mine have stood up to a lot of abuse. I liked these JVC's as they almost have decent bass responce. 20 bucks at Wallyworld.

johnnybgood
11-24-2012, 23:21
I've been using a pair of JVC model HA-FX30. I've put a lot of miles on them in all kinds of weather and thier still going strong. There's not a whole lot which water can damage in an ear bud and mine have stood up to a lot of abuse. I liked these JVC's as they almost have decent bass responce. 20 bucks at Wallyworld.

And this...+1

Timinator
11-24-2012, 23:31
Nice thats what I figured, thanks. I'm looking for audiophile-ish type headphones for this trip so I don't think I'm going to go with a $20 pair. Just need to make sure the $300 won't burn to ashes on me.

Sarcasm the elf
11-24-2012, 23:43
For what it's worth, I've put several pairs of earbuds through the wash, including the standard Apple models and a couple of the lower end ($30-$50 range) aftermarket models. They've all survived mostly unscathed. When I'm hiking I am usually more concerned about the headphones getting snagged and pulled apart, or crushed by accident then with water damage.

Timinator
11-24-2012, 23:52
Yeah that's why I'm picking the ones in the link, they have a thick kevlar cord that can detach off the bud so hopefully the cord breaking won't be an issue if i buy it. Thanks for the replies.

cliffordbarnabus
11-25-2012, 00:14
I used the free ones from some plane ride. I'd use the $300 on ayce's

Scotto
11-25-2012, 00:49
I've used the Etymotic ER-4p outside in all conditions for years and have never had a failure other than cords failing after a while. I suspect the Shure version would be just as robust. Most in-ear headphones have a filter to protect the transducer from ear wax that will also help protect the transducer from moisture. I'm not sure if the Shure uses a filter like the Etymotics.

Slo-go'en
11-25-2012, 14:51
$300 for ear buds? That's totally insane. I can't even get myself to spend that kind of money on a sleeping bag! I'd do an A/B with cheap ones and I bet you woun't hear $280 worth of difference!

Okay, maybe you'd hear some difference, but I'm not sure having earbuds with 37 dB of external sound attenuation is a good idea on the trail. On the stage or riding the subway, yes, but on the trail, not so much.

Wise Old Owl
11-25-2012, 17:51
Maybe its important to him? separate bass and treble? He likes his music to be perfect. Timinator I use a set of Earbuds with Deep bass and microphone that fits MP3 and smart phones then took the warranty at Radio Shack. No regrets - replaced it once already... Total $25 two years. ( and I HATE RS)

Nutbrown
11-25-2012, 19:47
wow, to each his own. Now I really curious about your gear list though.

Wise Old Owl
11-25-2012, 20:33
wow, to each his own. Now I really curious about your gear list though.

Ok, I hope I did not come of condescending... but while some folk want to hike with a shower curtain and a few would like to hike with Cuban Fiber. there were choices....

Nutbrown
11-25-2012, 21:30
Ok, I hope I did not come of condescending... but while some folk want to hike with a shower curtain and a few would like to hike with Cuban Fiber. there were choices....
I hope I didn't either. I was actually commenting on the op, at the cost of the earbuds and being curious of the rest of the gear. I really didn't even know they had some earbuds out there that were that expensive. But you put in an excellent point. Who am I to judge, who are we to judge. Thanks for the reality check WWO. and no offense Timinator. I hope your head holes have some listening eargasms.

Slo-go'en
11-25-2012, 23:24
I supose if you can afford to drop that kind of cash on earbuds, do it. I'd still like to do an A/B test first to find out if they really do sound all that much better.

swjohnsey
11-26-2012, 15:05
Anything on the trail will take a beatin'. Judgin' by the reviews on Amazon they aren't very sturdy. I went through several sets, wire gets hung up on vegetation and pull loose from bud.

Timinator
11-30-2012, 10:22
In terms of price. Just about every review out there says they are worth $300 and they are supposed to be the most durable in ear monitors out there. Audiophile level earbuds are in a different world than $20 earbuds so it's definetely worth the price difference. That being said it's still going to be tough to afford them since the rest of my gear list is on the extravagent end as well. I'll probably sell my computer or something to make ends meet lol.