PDA

View Full Version : Wild Oasis vs. Solomid

fireneck
11-25-2012, 02:29
I'm looking into getting a new shelter for my upcoming hikes (maybe even a crack at an Ice Age Trail thru). At the moment debating whether to go with a Six Moon Designs' Wild Oasis (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tarps/WildOasis.html) (13oz) or Mountain Laurel Designs' Solomid (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=137) (11oz). Both have similar designs. Just looking for some thoughts on either shelter. Strengths/weaknesses etc. Thank you my friends!

Lyle
11-25-2012, 08:17
Not familiar with MLD Solomid. I've had a Wild Oasis for several years. Choose it frequently for AT hikes. The bug netting, while somewhat fragile and finicky if you want it closed up tight, does work well for flying bugs. If you cover it with a groundcloth on the inside, bottom it helps with crawlies too. Be careful not to trap bees inside when setting it up - kinda tough to get out once they fly into the corners. Been there, done that on Max Patch.

As far as storm protection, as good as most single wall shelters. Pitch high with plenty of ventilation on normal nights, lower it down for more protection on rip roaring storms. Low pitch means more condensation to deal with (depending on weather and where you set up), but not terrible.

VERY nice, light, and compact.

My second option is my Gossamer Gear "The One". Love this tent also. More protection for slightly more weight. A bit more fiddle factor when setting it up, but better protection as well. Unfortunately, they have not been available for a couple of years now.

Kerosene
11-25-2012, 08:50
You might also add the zPacks Hexamid (http://www.zpacks.com) to your evaluation. I bought the Cuben Twin Tarp with a bathtub floor for cool weather (aka, no bugs) backpacking. It gives me sufficient extra room to avoid having to add a bivy sack.

handlebar
11-25-2012, 19:55
I hiked the entire CDT with the Wild Oasis. It has served me well even during the mosquito hatches. I have had it out in PA during a freak snowstorm where 18" of heavy wet snow accumulated. I had to slap the sides frequently overnight, but stayed cozy and dry.

That said, I'll seriously consider replacing it with either the zpacks Hexamid referenced above or Lightheart Cuben fiber solo when it wears out. Those represent a lot of $$$ for limited weight savings. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

q-tip
11-26-2012, 11:28
My issues--I have used this for 20+ nights. The condensation after a 3-day rain was extreme. My down bag got soaked. Even thought I am 5'6"--my sleeping bag hits the wall of the tarp---not good. I started setting it up using sticks (8") at each of the tie outs to raise up the tarp. I think the bug mesh may cause more problems than it is worth. When it gets wet, there is virtually no air flow inside the tarp. My solution is twofold, one-get a Terra Rosa Tyvek Sleeping Bag cover ($55), that should solve the soaked sleeping bag, two, use my Contrail Tarp Tent. For the additional 10 oz. it works every time and has over 1,100 miles on it.