PDA

View Full Version : Pack cover vs. liner

G-FOURce
11-25-2012, 10:45
okay, so in prepping for our trek i am wondering what people's experiences have been with pack covers vs. pack liners? i understand that a pack liner, by concept, would do a better job of ensuring that your gear remains dry in a prolonged rain. that said, though, without a cover that would mean that your pack is completely soaked which, i would think, would make it a bit heavier. a cover, while not ensuring dry contents completely, would seem to keep the pack drier during a rain. so, what is the general consensus on one vs the other? also, if hiking TN to VA in mid-March should we consider carrying both?

Rasty
11-25-2012, 10:55
I use both. Zpacks cuben liner and cover. Let it pour.

johnnybgood
11-25-2012, 11:11
For what it's worth I would most certainly use a heavy duty trash bag as my inner protection water barrier. I have seen pack covers fail in torrential rains so always use an inner liner.

If your pack comes with a cover then by all means use it, both can work well in protecting your stuff.

swjohnsey
11-25-2012, 11:15
Zpack's cuben pack cover worked well for me, very light, doesn't cost any more than conventional cover and pack covers don't seem to take the abuse that liners and stuff bags do. Cuben stuff sacks and such didn't work out so well. They weren't water proof for long and were in shreds by the end.

Deadeye
11-25-2012, 11:17
I use a cover, and everything in the pack is in waterproof bags. Sleeping bag is double-bagged in a trash bag. You'll never hear anyone complain that their stuff is dry at the end of an all-day soaking rain!

G-FOURce
11-25-2012, 12:13
Got it! Thanks!

daddytwosticks
11-25-2012, 17:06
Both, unless I'm using a poncho. Then, of course, I skip the pack cover. :)

waasj
11-25-2012, 18:11
Both. There is no such thing as gear that is "too dry",IMO.

Sarcasm the elf
11-25-2012, 19:31
Here is my response from a recent thread on the same subject:

Here's my take in it:

Your sleeping bag should aways be in a waterproof bag stuff sack regardless of what other measures you take. If you take a down jacket or any similar insulating items on a trip where rain is a possibility then it should also be in a waterproof bag of some sort. I keep all my small important stuff in a separate gallon ziplock freezer bag. This includes cellphone, any electronics, my small first aid kit and pill bottle, wallet and anything else that can be easily lost or destroyed. My food bag is waterproof as well since I often hang it overnight in the rain. Once these items are sufficiently protected, there's really nothing else in my pack that couldn't survive getting wet.

I've used bags as liners in the past. Regular garbage bags don't stand up to the abuse of hiking for very long, get something tougher, 3mil contractor bags work decently although I have trouble finding ones that are the right size for my pack. If you have a top loading pack, you will soon find that "organization" is not something to worry about, you will end up unloading the whole thing at night and then packing everything back in each morning. Just put the items you might need throughout the day at the top of the pack or in the side pockets and you should be good.

I do own a silnylon pack cover, but I'm on the fence as to whether it's worth it to use one. The big advantage (in theory) to these is when hiking in torrential rain, they can prevent your pack's fabric from getting completely soaked, heavy and miserable. If you do get a pack cover, consider getting one that it day-glow (hunter) orange, that makes it a useful thing to have since it will keep you visible if you hike during fall deer or spring turkey hunting season.

Original thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?88640-Pack-cover-vs-pack-liner-vs-stuff-sacks

Raymond James
11-25-2012, 20:11
If you get a pack cover get it in a bright orange. Usefull during hunting season or when having to hike on a road. Also can be used to signal if in distress. I like tents, packs, boats and clothing in green/brown/tan to blend in but still want something that can be used to draw some attention when needed.

bigcranky
11-25-2012, 20:15
Both, for the reasons stated above.

I like a pack cover because my pack has large mesh outside pockets that I stuff with gear which I would like to keep somewhat dry. But a pack cover by itself does not keep the gear inside the pack dry, so I have a roll-top cuben pack liner from zpacks.

Rain Man
11-25-2012, 20:21
Used a pack cover a few times, then quickly switched for good to a trash-compactor bag. Very rugged AND white, which means you can see down in your pack to find things.

I agree on the blaze orange pack cover, which I add during hunting season.

Rain Man

Nutbrown
11-25-2012, 21:41
Yup. Both. I made a silnylon cover with an orange stripe on it. I always have a garbage bag with me for the liner.

Astro
11-25-2012, 22:33
Both, pack cover and trach compactor bag for the liner.

MuddyWaters
11-26-2012, 00:10
Pack liner is all you need.
As long as you have everything that cannot get wet in one compartment.
A good single compartment pack is fairly water -repellent.
Those made of cuben hybrid can be waterproof today.

Yes, a pack cover can keep your pack a bit drier in most instances, however the straps, belt, backpanel will still get wet and water will wick all over, cause thats what happens with fabrics.

During hot weather my pack is substantially damp just from my sweat. It wicks.
Ive intentionally used my pack to block rain spray while sleeping under tarp, to keep my dry. A wet pack is not a big deal.

You can get a pack cover that weighs 1-2 oz, so you can carry one if you like with little wt penalty.
I personally prefer to keep things as simple as possible, as well as light. This means minimum items, as well as minimum weight.
The desire to have an item for every circumstance, and to justify it, is hard to break.

G-FOURce
11-26-2012, 08:22
thanks, everyone. i think i'll have both on hand and then make it a game-time decision just before the hike.

turtle fast
11-26-2012, 11:47
Yep I too use a 3mil contractor bag, and use a silnylon blaze orange pack cover. The only problem is that with a pack cover is that it does not protect from water infiltrating the crease from behind your back and the pack. Water tends top also collect on the bottom inside of a pack cover (which is why a drain hole is necessary). In a short duration light rain its not a big problem, but a long day of rain and you can see why a bag liner is necessary.

Lyle
11-26-2012, 11:51
Both. Trash bag inside for "must stay dry" items. Electronics in their own plastic bag. Pack cover for extra protection, keeping the pack partially dry. Pack covers weigh what? 2 oz? Extra protection well worth it.

jeffmeh
11-26-2012, 16:27
Trash compactor bag inside, and a Packa make a great combination.

Beast Mode
11-27-2012, 01:34
I used a trash bag as a pack cover on the outside and also kept my food and clothes in separate trash bags inside the pack for organization. But my sleeping bag wasn't in anything and stayed dry. A trash bag as a pack cover actually works better than one you buy because the ones you buy don't have any protection where the bag contacts your back and water tends to run down there. It's also super light. Only inconvenience is you have to undo the shoulder straps and feed them through holes in the trash bag to put it on, which takes a few minutes.

prain4u
11-27-2012, 04:41
Often, I use neither (but I am not opposed to using BOTH a liner and a pack cover). Personally, I wear a poncho in the rain and my pack is literally "a bag of bags". Almost everything is in a waterproof bag or a ziplock. Important things (like down quilt) are double bagged. I don't like having wet stuff and I have NO desire to deal with hypothermia. So I make every effort to keep certain items VERY dry. My pack is semi-water resistant and will repel some minor amounts of moisture. Rarely--if ever--do I have a problem with things getting wet. The poncho, the pack, and use of bags within the pack tend to keep things plenty dry.

G-FOURce
11-27-2012, 09:26
has anyone ever mixed a silicone solution and tried to spray the outside of their packs to help waterproof it a bit? i am thinking something like 5:1 thinner to silicone?

jimmyjam
11-27-2012, 13:34
has anyone ever mixed a silicone solution and tried to spray the outside of their packs to help waterproof it a bit? i am thinking something like 5:1 thinner to silicone?

There are just too many seams and attachments on most packs to make waterproofing them possible. Get the plastic liners from Lawson Equipment- they are perfectly sized and only weigh 1.4 oz. Just put your stuff in it, twist the excess, fold it over and put a rubberband over it. No worries, no leaks.

G-FOURce
11-27-2012, 15:17
yeah, i figured you wouldnt compeletely waterproof it, but i was just wondering if anyone had tried doing that just for added protection from moisture/rain/snow.

jimmyjam
11-27-2012, 15:52
yeah, i figured you wouldnt compeletely waterproof it, but i was just wondering if anyone had tried doing that just for added protection from moisture/rain/snow.
A while back I thought about mixing up some silicone caulk and paint thinner and doing my seams, but after looking at all the seams I had I figured it would add too much weight and some would be hard to get to because of the mesh pockets. So I put everything either inside the plastic liner or in a roll top stuff sack that has waterproofed seams.

G-FOURce
11-27-2012, 17:35
i didnt even think about the added weight. ha! liner and cover it is....

turtle fast
11-29-2012, 12:25
The silicone waterproofing wears off quickly and with gear rubbing inside of a pack is pretty much useless. The fact is that water will ALWAYS find a way into your pack, its just how you pack to minimize water problems...I have seen too many down bags get wet from being on the absolute bottom of the pack and not in a waterproof bag, just stuffed in the pack. You could get away with this with a synthetic bag, but not down.

hikerhobs
12-08-2012, 21:55
pack cover and dry bags for my stuff inside my pack. never had a problem!

mrcoffeect
12-10-2012, 09:56
I keep my down bag in a sea to summit dry compression sack and my clothing in a seperate smaller sack. they may weigh a bit more than using a single liner but they greatly reduce the volume of these two bulky items. im using an osprey talon 44 so space is an issue. and i always walk out of camp with my pack cover on even when it s nice out, if i want to take my pack off to take a break i dont have to worry about where i set down my pack, heck if i cant find a dry place to sit i'll sit on my pack:)