View Full Version : Gaining/ maintaining body-weight pre -hike

oldbear
11-25-2012, 12:31
Hi guys
I'm about 4 months out and I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs
I know that thru hikers can lose 20+% of their body-weight
Using that math I wind up at 200 lbs if I don't lose anything pre-hike
But
If I start my hike at 230 then i end it at 184 lbs ...which is super skinny for me
So
Do should I keep or lose 20 lbs pre hike

johnnybgood
11-25-2012, 12:48
By all means try to optimize the best pre-hike conditioning by losing the extra weight. The fact remains that the better physical shape you're in the better chances you have at not only completing a thru hike but also enjoying a thru hike.

I believe the best chances for success are the first few weeks after hitting the trail and conditioning plays a direct role in that.

SawnieRobertson
11-25-2012, 13:03
I totally support johnnybegood's advice. For some reason my guess is that the two guys that will be supporting you on the trail would appreciate every pound down to optimal weight that you lose. At least that is what my Left and Right have said to me. Also, in your case, since keeping weight may be a goal on the trail, just think of all the yummy stuff you will absolutely have to consume. Losing weight and gaining Life.~~Kinnickinic

Malto
11-25-2012, 13:17
No question, lose the weight. If it were 10 lbs and you were doing heavy miles starting out then I may have a different view. Look at it this way, let's compare 250 to 200 lbs. You would have to work 25% more just to go the same distance. A thru hike is hard enough, don't stack the cards against yourself.

moytoy
11-25-2012, 13:24
I say not to worry about your weight at this point. If it comes off before you start that's fine but concentrate on getting yourself in good shape. That includes toughening up your feet. If your not already you need to start walking a minimum of 30 miles each week. Do your walks 5-6 miles without stopping at a 3 mile clip. Since you live in Fl don't worry about the mountains just do the miles. That has been my routine since 1999 and I maintain a weight about 10 # above my ideal weight of 175 lbs. I'm 5'10"

Pedaling Fool
11-25-2012, 13:57
Hi guys
I'm about 4 months out and I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs
I know that thru hikers can lose 20+% of their body-weight
Using that math I wind up at 200 lbs if I don't lose anything pre-hike
But
If I start my hike at 230 then i end it at 184 lbs ...which is super skinny for me
So
Do should I keep or lose 20 lbs pre hikeGet healthy, but don't worry so much about the weight. The reason so many people drop big pounds is because they have it to lose. Virtually everyone is fat, not obese, but fat. You're pretty much going to lose weight to a certain point, say in your case 200lbs, regardless if you start the trail at 300 lbs or 230 lbs. It's not a matter of losing a set %, rather just getting down to what's more natural for you.

MuddyWaters
11-25-2012, 14:06
Get in the best shape you can.

You have a very significant chance of failing due to injury.
Blisters, stress fractures, knee injuries, ankle injuries.
Weight is a contributor to these, a MAJOR contributor.

Give yourself the best chance for success.
In case you havent noticed, theres not many pictures of fat people standing over the Katahdin sign.

Slo-go'en
11-25-2012, 14:31
Think of it this way : If you loose 50 pounds now, you can carry a 50 pound pack and not notice the difference :) [too bad it doesn't work that way]

If you do make it all the way, you'll probably be pretty skinny at the end. But don't worry, it usually doesn't take long to put all that and then some back on. My guess is your 30-40 pounds over weight now and most of that is around your middle. Try to get rid of as much of that as you can before hand. You'll feel better, sleep better and woun't have to buy new pants 6 weeks into the hike.

DrZaius
11-25-2012, 14:46
I can speak from experience here. I'm 6-2 and weighed 245 or so ten years ago when I was in my early twenties and hiking in North Georgia at that size is just misery. You've got to get that weight off. If you're diligent about your diet and do a lot of walking it's possible to drop 40 by time you go.

Wise Old Owl
11-25-2012, 16:22
Kind of simple - more raw foods - an apple in the morning an raw orange with a small meal - add a protien bar at 10 and 2... Cooked or processed foods in smaller portions just for dinner. Reduce carbs breads at 10cal per slice. Every weight loss system is based on this information.

Source-Nova PBS.

garlic08
11-25-2012, 16:52
The reason so many hikers lose so much weight on the AT is that so many hikers start out overweight on the AT. I've talked to a few of them and it sounds painful to start overweight. I started at my optimum weight and ended just a few pounds lower, less than 2%. There's no need for the wild weight swings. I'll join the chorus--lose it now, while you're getting in as good a hiking shape as you can.

The AT is unusual among the long trails, with so many successful hikers starting out so overweight. It was a surprise to see that.

Datto
11-25-2012, 16:52
The key thing is to train by carrying your backpack while you train and do lots of overnight hikes. Those two things alone will get you physically ready for your thru-hike and go quite a ways to get you mentally ready.

Datto

prain4u
11-26-2012, 01:38
No offense is intended in my following comments. I am a hiker in the same general age and weight category as you. Thus, my comments come as someone who is "in the same boat".

I spent some time looking at weight/height charts, BMI index etc. Everything that I looked at had you classified in the "obese" or "overweight" category. Roughly calculated (based only on the weight and height that you listed) your current Body Mass Index is 32.1. Many experts would like to see you have a BMI that was 25 at THE MAXIMUM. For you, a BMI of 25 occurs at approximately 195 lbs. For your height---even at 200 lbs--the World Health Organization and the CDC would categorize you as "overweight". Thus, you can lose a great deal of weight and still be in a good position.

Frankly, your biggest concern should not be that you would lose too much weight (particularly pre-hike). The biggest concern should be how the excess weight is going to potentially cause an early end to your thru hike attempt. By most ways of analysis, you are 50+ lbs overweight right now. Those 50+ pounds can take a TREMENDOUS toll on the joints and the cardiovascular system. If I read your profile correctly, you will probably be 60 years old (or very close to it) by the time you finish your thru hike. Extra weight can be even more challenging to those of us who are getting to be a bit more "mature". "Old" bones don't tolerate extra weight very well.

Again, I am not some fit, young, athletic hiker who is trying to lecture you. I am a guy in a pretty identical situation. My BMI is almost identical to yours. My age is in my early 50s. My doctor wants me to lose 35-50 lbs. At least as recently as August 2012, I could still do 15-20 mile hiking days in rough up-and-down terrain (even before I get my "hiking legs"). However, I must admit that am HURTING when I do it and it punishes my body. My knees, hips, ankles, feet--and lower back feel every mile. I am "sucking wind"--especially on uphills. I am blessed that my primary hiking partner is a 50 year-old Physician Assistant (whose wife is a physician). Both he and his wife get to observe me on some day hikes. He gets to watch me out on the trail for week-long hikes in the wilderness. Thus, I get the advantage of a very close medical evaluation as I train and when I am on the trail. Both of them are encouraging me to lose at least 35-40 lbs. in order to enhance my hiking experience.

My advice to you? Try to lose some weight before hiking the AT. Your feet, knees, ankles, hips and back will thank you--as will your cardiovascular system. Then, once you are on the trail, consume lots of (semi-healthy) calories on a daily basis to help maintain your weight and body mass. Nothing says that you have to lose 20% of your body weight on a thru hike. That weight loss often happens because people don't take good care of themselves on the trail. They don't want to carry enough food in order to consume enough calories. They don't want to take enough time to eat properly throughout the day. They don't consume enough calories and they don't eat enough of the right things. (Also, some hikers are intentionally trying to lose weight on their hike--so they purposely consume far too few calories--and tear up their bodies as a result). If you get to an optimal weight and consistently consume enough "semi-healthy" calories while hiking--you should be just fine.

FINAL NOTE: Here is an experiment. Pick up some heavy items that have some weight to them and walk around a bit. (I personally pick up a 40 lb bag of dog food at the store--because I have a big dog). Feel the burden of carrying the extra weight. For me, it is quite the eye opener for me when I realize that the 40 lb bag of dog food is equal to the extra weight that I am causing my heart and joints to carry around every minute of every day. I wouldn't dream of hiking the AT carrying a 40 lb bag of dog food--in addition to my back. Yet, that is what i carry around each and every day--and I am tearing up my bones and joints as a result.

Have a GREAT hike. I know you will do all of the right things--as you are showing proper concern even before your hike.

daddytwosticks
11-26-2012, 08:11
prain4u...very good post. :)

Pedaling Fool
11-26-2012, 09:22
From my perspective those BMI charts are absolute BS. I'm always considered obese by those standards, even after my thru I was considered overweight.

CarlZ993
11-26-2012, 10:31
Less body fat is better than more body fat when it comes to hiking. So much easier on the joints, especially when hiking downhill.

Those who are more muscular in build will skew the BMI index somewhat. I take BMI numbers with a grain of salt. On a long hike, body fat - as well as muscle mass for those who are muscular - will go down. On my longest hike (JMT; 220M over 17 days), I lost about 10 lbs. I suspect most of it was body fat.

If you lose a significant amount of weight before your hike, the size of your clothing may go down, i.e. XXL to XL. So, your clothing weight will be less. Lots of positives in losing some weight before you hike.

Have a good hike. Maybe we'll bump into each other on the trail next year.

Wise Old Owl
11-26-2012, 10:39
The key thing is to train by carrying your backpack while you train and do lots of overnight hikes. Those two things alone will get you physically ready for your thru-hike and go quite a ways to get you mentally ready.
Datto

It won't cause you to loose weight- but the mental and physical experiences is awesome - even if I went out once a week - overnighters are hit or miss when it comes to weight - because of consuming water

Pedaling Fool
11-26-2012, 10:52
It won't cause you to loose weight- but the mental and physical experiences is awesome - even if I went out once a week - overnighters are hit or miss when it comes to weight - because of consuming waterWhat:confused: Water really has nothing to do with it. Yes, I know water weight fluctuates, but people are fat because they eat too much, period.

max patch
11-26-2012, 10:55
The reason so many hikers lose so much weight on the AT is that so many hikers start out overweight on the AT. I've talked to a few of them and it sounds painful to start overweight. I started at my optimum weight and ended just a few pounds lower, less than 2%. There's no need for the wild weight swings. I'll join the chorus--lose it now, while you're getting in as good a hiking shape as you can.

Agree. I'll just add that I lost 8% over the first 3 months and then maintained that weight over the next 2.

prain4u
11-26-2012, 11:07
From my perspective those BMI charts are absolute BS. I'm always considered obese by those standards, even after my thru I was considered overweight.

I don't necessarily take issue with you regarding BMI charts or "ideal weight" charts. However, that being said......

My main point was that EVERY resource that I consulted gave similar information. Specifically, the OP (and myself) are probably carrying more pounds than are ideal for cardiovascular and bone/joint health--no matter what standard we use to determine "ideal" or "healthy".

The OP is concerned that he will lose too much weight on his thru hike and in his pre-hike training. Based on every resource that I am finding--the OP probably has no realistic worries about becoming unhealthily underweight during his hike (unless he REALLY fails to take good care of himself during his hike). All of the "experts" seem to indicate that the OP would have to get into the 175 lb range (OR MUCH LOWER) in order to be less than his ideal weight (much less--being in a problematically low weight category). Even for "large frame" males--the IDEAL weight range seems to be about 172-198 lbs--in most resources that I consulted.

My goal was not to debate what the ideal weight should be (HYOH). It was my contention that--WHATEVER commonly accepted measure we use--the OP (and myself) are far from being in a situation where we have to be concerned about being underweight (unless we do some sort of starvation diet).

Pedaling Fool
11-26-2012, 11:21
I don't necessarily take issue with you regarding BMI charts or "ideal weight" charts. However, that being said......

My main point was that EVERY resource that I consulted gave similar information. Specifically, the OP (and myself) are probably carrying more pounds than are ideal for cardiovascular and bone/joint health--no matter what standard we use to determine "ideal" or "healthy".

The OP is concerned that he will lose too much weight on his thru hike and in his pre-hike training. Based on every resource that I am finding--the OP probably has no realistic worries about becoming unhealthily underweight during his hike (unless he REALLY fails to take good care of himself during his hike). All of the "experts" seem to indicate that the OP would have to get into the 175 lb range (OR MUCH LOWER) in order to be less than his ideal weight (much less--being in a problematically low weight category). Even for "large frame" males--the IDEAL weight range seems to be about 172-198 lbs--in most resources that I consulted.

My goal was not to debate what the ideal weight should be (HYOH). It was my contention that--WHATEVER commonly accepted measure we use--the OP (and myself) are far from being in a situation where we have to be concerned about being underweight (unless we do some sort of starvation diet).

And I'm not taking issue with you on BMI charts. I was just giving my personal take on them; when someone spends all year hiking and still is considered overweight, then I got no use for them charts. It's as if they completely ignore bone/muscle mass.

BTW, I want to emphasis my point in my first post here (not to you, but to the OP). I basically agree with everyone that you'd be better off losing excess fat before a thru, but don't think that you'll lose a set amount of weight, i.e. 20%. You will get down to a weight basically is determined by you body, barring sickness or extreme eating habits. Once I got to that weight for me I stayed there.

Malto
11-26-2012, 11:52

Regardless of whether BMI is BS or not, 250lbs for 6'2" is nowhere near ideal. I am also this height and my ideal weight is 187lbs. I started my thru at that weight and finished at 174lbs with a good deal of upper body muscle loss. So in my case I should have increased my caloric intake at the start of the hike when I lost all the weight. But I'm not sure I could have avoided the muscle loss since the human body is quite efficient in maintaining what it needs and using what it doesn't.

Bottom line, BMI or some other measure, prain4u summed it up perfectly.

fredmugs
11-26-2012, 12:19

I agree with the general consensus that you neded to lose weight I completely disagree with the statement above. In fact I think the biggest myth told here is that the best (some say only) way to get in shape for hiking is by hiking.

You don't need to lose weight for the sake of losing weight. This is why most people fail at losing weight and keeping it off. Based on your stats I'm guesing you have a lot of belly fat and the best way to lose that fat is by reducing your carb consumption and doing a lot of cardio. The only thing I do to train for hiking is riding an exercise bike. If you do your cardio at an increasingly difficult resistance level you will improve your aerobic conditioning while strengthening your legs and, perhaps more importantly, your knees. I went from knee braces and a 15 MPD limit in my early 40s to no braces and 20 - 25 MPD right out of the gate now.

Excessive belly fat is bad for your back and throwing a pack on there will make it worse. Cut your carbs and increase your cardio. There will be plently of biggest loser contests after New Years and by the time that contest is over it will be time to hit the trail.

JAK
11-26-2012, 13:35
I find this site to provide a pretty good estimate of percentage body fat.
It is based on you waist line message, which is a bit simplistic, but it works for me.
http://home.fuse.net/clymer/bmi/
I would work my own numbers as an example, but its too depressing for a Monday. lol

In short, try to get your excess weight down, unless it is muscle. Lose the butter before you hike. If you figure out how, let us know. ;-)
Best way I know is pre-hike hiking, if you have the time. Otherwise, start out easy, light on gear, and lose the butter during your hike.

Beast Mode
11-27-2012, 01:52
The reason many people lose 20% on their hike is they started overweight. If you are a healthy weight at the start and take care of yourself on the trail, you will finish a healthy weight as well. The only time people get underweight is if they hike very aggressively (15-20+ mile average) and don't take care of themselves (eating enough which means eating frequently).

The hike is long enough that most people reach a caloric equilibrium by the end of the hike. Your starting weight is almost irrelevant to your ending weight. Ending weight is determined by caloric output and input over the course of the 5-8 months you are on the trail. The only people who don't reach a caloric equilibrium are those who start 40+ pounds overweight and eat a lot, so the weight comes off slower. It might take such people 8-12 months to truly lose all the weight and reach a caloric equilibrium, but after 6 they will probably not be more than 5 to 10 pounds over their equilibrium weight.

TheYoungOne
11-28-2012, 12:03
I'm 6'2" and I bounce around 245 to 235, and I admit I'm overweight. I will tell you if I could drop the extra weight before a hike I would. Going section hiking on the AT at 245 with a 40lb pack is one factor that screwed up my feet (plantar fasciits) . You don't want to get injured on your thru and you want to have an enjoyable hike. The less weight you have on you, body weight and pack weight, the less likely you will blow out a knee or hurt yourself, and you will get less winded going uphill or doing big miles.

You may think 185 to 190 is skinny but according to BMI charts that is a healthy weight and 220 is considered overweight and near obese. All I know is when I was young and in my prime I weigh just a hair under 190. I was ripped, not skinny and was lifting weighs and taking Karate back then. Unless you are a body builder and full of muscle mass, you are better off losing the weight now before the hike.

http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

OzJacko
11-29-2012, 05:17
I'm 6' and 220 lbs, want to be around 200 "stable" but expect to go well below that and over it again afterwards.
Whatever your weight, you will need some aerobic fitness and legs that are in good working order.
Personally I wouldn't worry about what your actual weight is because it will drop (and come back later).
What you should NOT do is use this as an excuse to arrive at Springer out of shape.
You don't need a sixpack stomach in Georgia but you need legs that can walk for hours on end. Don't fret the scales - go for another walk.:)