PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation: Poison Ivy soaps....

Pendragon
11-25-2012, 23:45
Any experience based recommendations between two brands of poison ivy treatment soaps? "Grandma's" or "Burt's Bees"........one is cheaper but is the other one better? Please do tell. Thank you.
:confused:

grayfox
11-26-2012, 02:19
All Terrain Poison Ivy/Oak Bar--from REI at $7.00. Worth every penny.

theinfamousj
11-26-2012, 04:46
I had a really bad case of all over poison ivy due to burning it and being caught in the smoke. I learned that rubbing alcohol is good for helping to remove the oil from skin, and benedryl cream helps with the itch. Soap is entirely dependent on your mechanical scrubbing action.

Sent from my YP-GS1 using Tapatalk 2

mmorgan
11-26-2012, 10:56
Technu is a soap made to remove the oils that cuase the reaction. I have very bad reaction to PI and that is the only soap I will use.

jeffmeh
11-26-2012, 17:17
I have been using this lately. http://www.meangreen.us/site/products/details/5-Hand+Cleaners/6-Mean+Green+Power+Hand+Scrub

There is lots of info on the web that Zanfel is a derivative of this product, but the Mean Green is significantly less expensive.

It appears to be working for me, as I have not had a bad case since I started washing down with this after working outdoors among the plants.

tiptoe
11-26-2012, 17:49
I've never used Grandma's or Burt's Bees, but Technu works fantastically well for me when I garden and do yard work, though I have never taken any backpacking. When I'm on the trail, I just stay vigilant.

cabbagehead
11-26-2012, 18:21
A TV dude said that jewelweed grows near poison ivy. no clue on effectiveness

trailwobbles
11-26-2012, 19:27
I have a natural tolerance for Poison Ivy....but my husband swears Technu is the way to go. Their scrub is great, but then the spray is the only thing I've ever used that has effectively calmed any itch, bug bite or otherwise.

ocourse
11-26-2012, 19:35
Technu is a soap made to remove the oils that cuase the reaction. I have very bad reaction to PI and that is the only soap I will use.

+1 I use Technu when I get the rash. It works for me.

Blissful
11-26-2012, 21:47
A good natural remedy is tea tree oil.

Sandra123
11-26-2012, 23:32
I believe you are talking about how to remove the allergenic oil after contact. Regardless of the product used, the most important thing is to clean it off before 10 minutes have passed if you know you touched a plant.

Burts Bees soap is good, dont know about the other. But, you want a good oil cutter. A strong soap can work. Technu's main product is a petrochemical that cuts oil. Rubbing alcohol cuts oil. Put it on a rag and rub. Poison oak soaps often contain grit, which helps to scrap off the plant resin that the allergenic oil is in. I like "Goop." The new non-toxic formula comes in an orange container with a drawing of an orange wedge. It was designed for auto mechanics. It has a strong oil cutter made from orange peels and some grit.

If you are in the woods, and you dont have anything with you, dig down under the mulch to dry dirt (clay). Clay attracts oil to itself, so scrub your skin with the dirt, and scrub your hands as though you were using soap. Do this often, and if you touched a plant without knowing it, you may have removed the oil from your hands.

If you are not very good at identifying the plants, you can download a free pdf from my website (no strings attached). I created an easy system for identifying the plants 100% certain. My credentials: I wrote "The Poison Oak & Poison Ivy Survival Guide."

Sandra123
11-26-2012, 23:33
Oops, I forgot to give my site for the free download (previous post). www.poisonoakandpoisonivy.com

Rain Man
11-27-2012, 12:07
... If you are not very good at identifying the plants, you can download a free pdf from my website (no strings attached). I created an easy system for identifying the plants 100% certain. My credentials: I wrote "The Poison Oak & Poison Ivy Survival Guide."

WOW! Thanks, Sandra, for posting and sharing the link. I learned several things from you in the past 3 minutes, and I have suffered from poison ivy all my life. I got Technu after my mother recommended it, but did not know the other products (commercial and in the woods) that I could use too.

Rain Man

Longfan
11-27-2012, 18:17

Yep; it works like a charm. I used if the first time after pulling poison oak out of a tree by wrapping it around my arm and then spreading it to my inner thigh. The itch was just south of a place you can not scratch in public and well in a place one can not sratch cause from a distance it appears you is scratching the place you should not scratch in public!! The steroids the doc gave me also helped with the itch.

The package claims you can also uuse it to prevent the PI/PO/PS oil from reaching the skin if you know you will be in it; like clean a yard.

JAK
11-27-2012, 18:23
I love craft soaps, oatmeal is a favourite,
but I wouldn't recommend any soap made with poison ivy in it.