PDA

View Full Version : winter vs summer gear for NB thru hike

DavidNH
05-20-2005, 18:57
Hello,

I have a question on Winter vs summer gear for a north bout AT thru hike with a Mid March start at Springer.

I currently have a Feathered Friends Raven sleeping bag..which is down and rated to about +10. Sounds great for the colder portions..but during summer in mid atlantic region..(ie temps 90's+ during day) Is the idea to mail it home and get have a second sleeping bag (say rated to +40?

It seems for a thru hike one needs to have two pairs of boots and two sleeping bags and set of colder clothes and set of warmer clothes.

Since I already have this bag (and it is roomy and comfy and warm and weighs 3 lbs) I want to have it along.

So question is.. do folks make do or do most exchange sleeping bag during trip? Good sleeping bags are expensive and I want to keep price reasonable. What do you folks suggest? If a second warmer bag.. what would you suggest? down or synth? how light a bag can I get for under 300?

Oh and regarding winter gear..I really hope I can hike through Georgia in March without snowshoes or crampons!! can I? or is this risky? i realize it is mountains in March but hey...it is not New England in March!!

David

icemanat95
05-20-2005, 20:20
Hello,

I have a question on Winter vs summer gear for a north bout AT thru hike with a Mid March start at Springer.

I currently have a Feathered Friends Raven sleeping bag..which is down and rated to about +10. Sounds great for the colder portions..but during summer in mid atlantic region..(ie temps 90's+ during day) Is the idea to mail it home and get have a second sleeping bag (say rated to +40?

It seems for a thru hike one needs to have two pairs of boots and two sleeping bags and set of colder clothes and set of warmer clothes.

Since I already have this bag (and it is roomy and comfy and warm and weighs 3 lbs) I want to have it along.

So question is.. do folks make do or do most exchange sleeping bag during trip? Good sleeping bags are expensive and I want to keep price reasonable. What do you folks suggest? If a second warmer bag.. what would you suggest? down or synth? how light a bag can I get for under 300?

Oh and regarding winter gear..I really hope I can hike through Georgia in March without snowshoes or crampons!! can I? or is this risky? i realize it is mountains in March but hey...it is not New England in March!!

David

You will definitely need to trade in the sleeping bag for something quite a bit warmer. I picked up a fleece sleeping bag around Damascus and used that until Killington, VT. Sometimes it was way too warm, sometimes it was chilly and I had to wear all my clothing as well.

2-pairs of boots is one thing I recommend against. Sometimes a hikers feet will change shape and size during the hike making that pair of boots broken in and stockpiled at home against the destruction of the first pair, obsolete. Sometimes you will just get a better idea of what you like while you are hiking and trying stuff on in trail towns. You will never be in a better position to evaluate the fit of a pair of boots than you will while hiking the trail. You become acutely aware of your feet and they will be about as sensitive to issues after a day of hiking as they will ever be. So try stuff on and buy from an outfitter along the trail.

You will need warmer and colder clothing, but that's usually just a matter of switching from a lightweight hiking shirt to a long-sleeve medium weight and some midweight long john bottoms. Plus a hat and mittens and a warm jacket. Don't get hung up on it. Your tolerance for cold will be much greater toward the end of the trip. I wore a North Face Denali Fleece jacket at the start of my trip and fully expected to want it in the north, but I never took it back. My midweight fleece jacket was plenty, especially when combined with a wind/rain layer and hat.

Crampons are not necessary, neither are snowshoes, not for a March start. You may get snow and there is an off chance you could get deep snow, but the weight of snowshoes or crampons isn't justified by that slim chance. If the snow is too deep to travel in with bare boots, you'd probably be best served staying put until it melts out a bit anyhow. If you were starting in February I would recommend a lightweight pair of snowshoes such as the MSR Denalis, but February is a whole other world of weather.

I recommend hiking poles though. They really save your knees and when things do get slick and slippery, either from rain or snow/ice, they will help you keep you on your feet and moving forward. Just tread lightly with them.

Lightweight is definitely the way to go, but do it cautiously. Try out your lightweight gear on shorter trips, perhaps with another person backing you up with more complete gear.

DavidNH
05-20-2005, 23:11
how warm a sleeping bag do I need? rated to 10? 0? and then how about the warmer portions when that bag is too darn warm?

BookBurner
05-21-2005, 10:17
Your 10 degree bag should be fine for the spring portion of your hike. But yes, you definately will need another summer bag. Otherwise you will roast at night once the warmer temps arive for good (usually after Memorial Day). I would suggest a 40 or 45 degree bag unless you are a warm-natured sleeper. Even in the middle of the summer, some nights can get quite chilly depending upon elevation and storm fronts. You should have no trouble finding a down summer bag for under $300.

As for snowshoes and crampons, don't worry about it. You will likely see some snow but not enough accumulation to warrant the weight or expense of the extra gear. If it really dumps in the south, it usually melts down significantly within a day or two at the most. Take a day off and enjoy the scenery.

Good luck on your trip-

BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

Peaks
05-21-2005, 20:30
Some of the best advice that I heeded was to keep your cold weather gear until after Mt. Rodgers.