PDA

View Full Version : So I thought I did everything right....

trailwobbles
11-26-2012, 15:24
I read the posts and blogs, I talked to local hikers and thru hikers, and so I believed I was making an informed decision.

Off to the Merrell outlet I went to buy the first pair of true hiking shoe's I've had since I was 15.

I wore my thick REI socks, tried on a ton of options, and left happy with the Moab waterproof mids, in 1/2 size larger then I normally purchase for street shoes. They were secure in the heel, wider at the top of my foot, and my toes had plenty of room. Pretty safe decision I thought.

I decided to break them in a little by going around a local lake (over a mile and 1/3 long) about three times.

Oh dear goodness the pain. What is wrong with me? Is this just how it is when you first get your shoes? It's not the 4 miles I did, I do that regularly in cross trainers. Was it because I was on paved roads? Do I just seriously need some time with these to break them in? Is this normal? Will the pain go away?

Help!

Don H
11-26-2012, 15:40
One of the most difficult gear choices is footwear. I went through several brands/types until I found what works for me. I use Brooks Adrenalin trail runners with black Superfeet. That's just what works for me and my hiking style and weight. You will probably need something else.
I suggest if you have an REI try buying there. Use the new shoes on a treadmill and if they don't work take them back. REI is good about returns.

Merrells are light weight hiking shoes and should be pretty comfortable out of the box.

patman25
11-26-2012, 15:41
I have that problem as well with hiking boots. I'm going to swap to trail runners and see if that helps. Eventually, with enough walking with harder soles, your feet would adapt, but for someone like me who's a desk worker and doesn't stay on my feet for hours and hours every day, it's hard for me to build my feet up.

Don H
11-26-2012, 15:47
trailwobbles, I see we're from the same town. You have an REI close by in Timonium.

Karma13
11-26-2012, 15:52
Where do they hurt?

Frankly, it took me about 5 different kinds of shoes and at least 10 different kinds of insoles before I found a shoe-insole combo that works for me. Then it took two more tries to get the size figure out.

Grady Wilson
11-26-2012, 16:11
My advice, cycling socks and trail runners in your normal size (Asics preferably). The thick wool socks with high-top "hiking" boots are overrated and ghetto.

snifur
11-26-2012, 17:00
Merrell makes my feet hurt. over the years i have tried several different Merrells and each time my feet ache, and are sore in general all over. for me it is that brand that does not work for me. my advice is to try to return them and go with another make of shoe. you do not need fancy hiking shoes. if running shoes work for you then wear them.

hikerboy57
11-26-2012, 17:15
most hiking shoes/boots should not need any break in period at all, they should be good right out of the box.i bought a pair of the same shoes you have and they are not comfortable for more than just walking around town. i prefer keens, myself, but ive recently switched to trail runners

Snowleopard
11-26-2012, 17:20
"Is this just how it is when you first get your shoes?" No. Only Merrell's heaviest full leather hiking boots would require breaking in. They probably just don't fit right.

Just hike in your cross trainers.

bannerstone
11-26-2012, 17:36
I had the opposite experience with my Merrells, there was this odd feeling in the heel that went away after about 15 or 20 minutes. Since then they've been great. I've yet to find my perfect hiking shoe though, even the ones that feel great around town aren't prefect on the trail. I do find that my feet need to get used to a new style of shoe but it's not a significant discomfort. If you're having lots of pain, go back to the seller and figure out where the problem is in your fit.

David

geomaniac
11-26-2012, 17:54
Ive had the same problem with Merrells. I bought Moab ventalator mids online and thought they were too narrow, they were comfortable around town but really killed me on a short 5 mile hike. Merrell let me return them for the wider version. Those still kill my feet when hiking. I am trying some new balance trail runners.

ken209
11-26-2012, 18:07
Merrell makes my feet hurt. over the years i have tried several different Merrells and each time my feet ache, and are sore in general all over. for me it is that brand that does not work for me. my advice is to try to return them and go with another make of shoe. you do not need fancy hiking shoes. if running shoes work for you then wear them.
Bought a pair of merrell's, wore them a few miles and they hurt my feet so bad almost had to cancel my glacier trip. Gonna stick with Keen's.

ChinMusic
11-26-2012, 18:07
Oh dear goodness the pain. What is wrong with me? Is this just how it is when you first get your shoes? It's not the 4 miles I did, I do that regularly in cross trainers. Was it because I was on paved roads? Do I just seriously need some time with these to break them in? Is this normal? Will the pain go away?

Help!
First, what brand and model of cross trainers are you using that feel good to you?
Second, sometimes good shoes feel crappy til they are broken in, sometimes they will always feel crappy.

As others have said, finding what feels good on YOUR feet is just something you gotta find on your own.

My story is that I started with boots, went to mids, went to one of the specialty name-brand trail runners (they killed me). I had the same thoughts as you, "my cross trainers feel great, what gives?".

I happened to be using New Balance 621s (609s?) at the time and noticed that New Balance made a trail runner with their 806s. Bought a pair and found my love.

Namtrag
11-26-2012, 18:18
It's funny how shoes are so individual...I couldn't bear the feel of Keens on my feet, but my Merrell's feel great. I wear them to work about 4 days a week because they are so comfortable. I got the Low Geomorph Stretch Maze model, and couldn't be happier.

trailwobbles
11-26-2012, 18:47
Where do they hurt?

They hurt on the sides...so technically my smallest and largets metatarsal, on either side of my foot. This would make me think that they are too narrow, but I bought the widest shoe I could (in store at least), and feel just fine for the first mile. Everywhere else is comfortable.

Could I perhaps have just tied them too tight? I'm starting to wonder if I just didn't cut my own circulation off. Seems like a silly mistake....

Don: I've been to the REI and will probably purchase from them in the future (I plan to get my pack there), I just wanted the sales at the Merrell Outlet. Probably the wrong idea. Also glad to see another Baltimorean on here :D

hikerboy57
11-26-2012, 18:58
Keens have a wider toe box than the merrills.

Don H
11-26-2012, 19:08
trailwobbles, I tried several shoes from REI and never found anything that worked for me. The REI salesman suggested I go to Charm City Run www.charmcityrun.com (http://www.charmcityrun.com) just down the street (York Rd, Timonium) and they were great. I bought 5 pairs of Brooks from them last year for my thru.

bigcranky
11-26-2012, 19:36
Yeah, I had the same problem this year on a hike. I bought a new pair of the same shoes I'd been wearing for years, the Salomon XA Comp, but these were a new version. By the second day on the trail on my summer section hike, I thought I was going to have to quit. Severe pain in the outside of my foot, and the outside joint of my big toe (meaning, yeah, I guess they were too narrow.) I stopped at the outfitter in Wayensboro and bought a pair of rigid insoles and that mostly solved the problem. But it was weird to have this happen with a model that I'd worn before.

Try thinner socks with your new shoes, or possibly try a rigid insole like the Superfeet. Might help. Might be another 40 bucks gone -- sorry to say, there is no way to tell before wearing them on the trail.

Nutbrown
11-26-2012, 19:45
Nope, not normal. Try a different boot of try a runner. I went through severe denial before giving up on my Asolos. I kept them for car camping. Tried a pair of Solomon runners and have never had a better hike. Your feet should feel fine walking round town. Maybe some achiness after 10 miles of mtns, but just trying them out? No way.

trailwobbles
11-26-2012, 20:01
Does anyone know if Merrell will take a return if they just hurt? Even if used? I'm going to try a local hike in hike out tomorrow and see how they do. Only a few miles. I'll try the thinner socks and re string em. If they still hurt I'll give up.

Odd Man Out
11-26-2012, 22:14
I have found Merrell customer service to be a good if you got them from the company store. I would take them back. I replaced a pair of Moab Ventillators (low top, non gore tex) after a month long trip to Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce. They had a flaw in the leather at a very critical spot and were about to fail, so they replaced them. I was a little sad because after walking in the red rock country for a month, that pair had a wonderful russet glow to them.

However, when that pair wore out, I went shopping for a replacement pair and tried on the Gore Tex version and found they were very painful whereas the non Gore Tex ones were reliably wonderful. I thought maybe it was just a bad pair as I couldn't figure out why the waterproof version should fit so differently from the regular ones. So I went to another store and found the same thing. The problem with the gore tex version was that when I took a step, the shoe would fold in a sharp crease right behind the toes. The uppers at the crease would fold inward and slice at my feet. The non gore tex version didn't do this. They seemed to be a bit stiffer so they would fold more gradually when you take a step, rather than making a sharp crease. This was a couple of years ago and things may have changed. But if this sounds familiar, you could try the non gore tex version. I live in MI where it rains and snows just a bit and never had a problem with the non-waterproof version. I think gore tex just does a better job of keeping water in than keeping water out anyway.

bubonicplay
11-27-2012, 00:51
Check out the Merrel mix master mids. Nice hybrid.

Beast Mode
11-27-2012, 01:04
I started with the exact same shoe (Merrell Moab "waterproof"). Awful shoe. Waterproof just means they will take days to dry out instead of hours, because your feet WILL get wet no matter what you do. Also, boots are less comfortable than trail runners. By the end of the trail, the best shoe that most people seemed the happiest with was Brooks Cascadia.

daddytwosticks
11-27-2012, 08:11
I don't buy my hiking footwear at REI or any other outfitters. I go to the local Burlington Shoe store and buy whatever New Balance trail-runner type sneeker they have that fits me comfortably. This sophisticated "system" has worked well for me over the years. :)

avalonmorn
11-27-2012, 16:07
I have feet that are not comfortable in most shoes. My brand of choice, Merrells, Salomon, and some models of New Balance. I love the older Merrell Pulse2s. My arch is high, I underpronate, and I have to be careful when trying shoes that the arch support is in the exact position with my foot. If the shoe is a half size larger, or smaller, I suffer pain. I buy arch supports for 5 dollars at the Dollar General, or Dr. Scholls liners, and the comfort is good to go. Every foot is different. My advice to you is to contact the Merrell people, maybe the fit or style is not for you, or maybe your feet do not like Merrell.

trailwobbles
11-27-2012, 18:54
UPDATE:

So I went back to the Merrell outlet today and they accepted the Moabs no questions asked, but since I had worn them I could only exchange not refund. So I tried to find something else that would work. I enlisted the help of the young associate, explained that the stiff uppers were not allowing side to side flexibility, which is what I desired, and that I think I needed something other than a "hiking" specific boot. Maybe something more all terrain blah blah blah.

The young associate, who in trusted in me that he was not a hiker, and in all fairness was incredibly nice and accommodating, insisted that I needed a full support boot, and proceeded to grab me an entirely leather high top....

Then I asked for the Mix Master Womens as was suggested here earlier, and they didn't carry them in store. So then I used the words "trail runner" and he took me over to the Merrell Barefoot line. Which is like ridiculous to go from full leather boot to just some treads.

We settled on the Siren Sport shoe, even though he thought they wouldn't last me more than 400 miles and that they were more for sport. Personally they look like a lighter trail shoe to me. Oh, and he through in the barefoot running shoes at a discounted price to match the amount i paid on my first purchase of the full price Moabs.

Final verdict: MUCH Happier I went with a lighter shoe and excited to try out my new runners. They look weird, but not nearly as weird as the fivefinger shoes! Sorry for all you barefoot fans! 2 shoes for the price of 1 Moabs!

Thanks for all your help and recommendations guys. You really helped me stick to my guns and not to what the "professionals" in the stores say. My new motto is "if it fits and it's comfortable than whats the problem?" I will say that Merrell has awesome service policies and I am overall happy with my experience!

avalonmorn
11-27-2012, 19:03
:clap Yea!

Don H
11-27-2012, 19:14
Don't know about the Siren Sport shoe but trail runners usually last only 500 miles.
Hope they work for you. Let us know either way.

RCBear
11-27-2012, 19:29
Merrells generally don't require breaking in as most others. I don't think that is where the issue lies. most likely they're simply not the correct choice of shoe for your foot. for me, unless I am winter hiking I prefer trail runners but just like packs, body shape and gait have a lot to do with the comfort of either selected.

Odd Man Out
11-27-2012, 20:17
Just googled your shoes. Looks like a nice option. Of course with shoes, you can't tell until you wear them. Every foot is different.

BTW, a couple of months ago I needed to replace the laces on my current ventilators. The stores only had laces in odd colors so I called Merrell and asked if they sold replacement original equipment laces. The lady on the phone took my name and address and in one day, I got my free laces in the mail. The quick delivery was helped by the fact I live but 20 miles from the Merrell (Wolverine) corporate offices.

trailwobbles
11-27-2012, 21:11
Just googled your shoes. Looks like a nice option. Of course with shoes, you can't tell until you wear them. Every foot is different.

So the only hold up I have is that I hear awful things about gore-tex. What is all that?

MuddyWaters
11-27-2012, 23:35
Gore-tex has some drawbacks in footwear.

It doenst breathe enough, (no waterproof breathable barrier does), and your feet will sweat. Then, the insides of your footwear become damp anyway. Damp socks too. Hot, sweaty feet leads to macerated skin and blisters.

Once wet, it will dry slowly because movement of water is inhibited by the membrane.

Your shoe is only waterproof to a few inches anyway. Good luck never stepping in water/mud deeper than that. The shoe will fill up and need to be taken off and emptied.

In the rain, water comes right in that big hole in the top your foot goes in too. The rain has no way out so the shoe fills up and needs to be taken off to empty.

But with minimal trail runners, and THIN socks, you can just walk thru water. Your shoes and socks will dry quicker enough. Your shoes will drain. Your feet stay cooler, not sweaty.

If you insist on waterproof in wet conditions, or in snow, , you can wear goretex socks or sealskinz with regular trail runners. Thats what many do in winter conditions. 11" high goretex socks, and gaiters, keep snow out well.

trapper
12-23-2012, 21:19
Yeah, I had the same problem this year on a hike. I bought a new pair of the same shoes I'd been wearing for years, the Salomon XA Comp, but these were a new version. By the second day on the trail on my summer section hike, I thought I was going to have to quit. Severe pain in the outside of my foot, and the outside joint of my big toe (meaning, yeah, I guess they were too narrow.) I stopped at the outfitter in Wayensboro and bought a pair of rigid insoles and that mostly solved the problem. But it was weird to have this happen with a model that I'd worn before.

Try thinner socks with your new shoes, or possibly try a rigid insole like the Superfeet. Might help. Might allbe another 40 bucks gone -- sorry to say, there is no way to tell before wearing them on the trail.super feet are satisfaction or your money back. so your not stuck with them if you don't like them

mrcoffeect
12-24-2012, 09:43
trailwobbles, I see we're from the same town. You have an REI close by in Timonium.

what a small world. i lived in timonium till i was eight years old then moved here to connecticut. that was in 1975, I've often wondered how the place has changed since then. i know the duplex that we lived in is now a gun shop on one side and a lawyer's office on the other side. what a combo

5th
11-07-2013, 18:29
Glad to hear you got satisfaction, trailwobbles. I'm struggling with a pair of boots myself atm. I need to go back to REI and see what they can do. I can't wear trail runners in the Cascades on lava flows in winter, so I have to have full boots. I have owned 8 or 9 pairs of full leather hiking boots over the last 30 years and never had so much trouble. Maybe Lowas aren't for me.

alexandra
11-07-2013, 20:24
Like most other's said footwear is one of the hardest decisions to make. After Merrell, and Vasque I found Salomon to be the best choice. After Superfeet they were even better. Not much you can do, but try as many different pairs as possible. What I love about Salomon is that you can find them at various retailers and for relatively inexpensive prices. I wear the Synapse and REI has them on retail for 120+ but I was lucky enough to find them for $89 on Amazon. Sometimes you aren't always lucky...

Teacher & Snacktime
11-07-2013, 20:31
My advice, cycling socks and trail runners in your normal size (Asics preferably). The thick wool socks with high-top "hiking" boots are overrated and ghetto.

I own the Merrill Moab Mids....and I own a pair of Aasics trail runners....the runners rule!

Storm
11-07-2013, 20:37
Over time I have seen many discussions on shoes. I have some tough feet. Seldom get blisters and have walked for miles in soggy shoes. That being said I have almost felt crippled because of foot pain if I wear the wrong socks. I can hike with just a pair of liners but put me in some of those cushioned soled socks and I am screwed. I know everyone is different, just saying socks can be a problem for some people.

Ileah7
11-07-2013, 21:06
So the only hold up I have is that I hear awful things about gore-tex. What is all that?

Everyone else has pretty much said it all, but I've found one other thing. Merrell Siren Sport Gore-tex seem to run a half size smaller than the non gore-tex version! I own several pairs of the Siren Sport, but was surprised to order the same size in as all my others and find they run small.

Dogwood
11-07-2013, 23:02
NO you did not do everything right! You were wrong in thinking you did everything right. That is one thing you were wrong about.

It should be obvious you have a third metatarsal compound fracture and over stretched achilles tendon. Sounds as good as any other guess based on what you've told us through the net and without any in person professional assessment. Go see a Podiatrist. Then get professional hiking shoe assistance. I'm pointing out that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet and even if you did get good advice through that medium it should only be used as a guideline not a replacement for competent professional in person service.

Wise Old Owl
11-08-2013, 10:08
I don't buy my hiking footwear at REI or any other outfitters. I go to the local Burlington Shoe store and buy whatever New Balance trail-runner type sneeker they have that fits me comfortably. This sophisticated "system" has worked well for me over the years. :)

I did the same - but wore the NB's out each year and had to buy them annually.

Another Kevin
11-08-2013, 11:27
I did the same - but wore the NB's out each year and had to buy them annually.

Your point?

That's what I do: buy NB trail runners at a cheap place once or twice a year. They do fine for day hikes and easy backpacks. They're cheap enough that an annual pair won't break the budget.

On trips where I expect hard scrambling, or on bushwhacks where I don't necessarily know what to expect, I wear my big clunky leather boots. (I need more toe protection on scrambles than the trail runners offer, and I like a stiffer boot for scrambling.) The leather boots get replaced regularly because the company buys them for me, since I occasionally need to wear them on a job site.

On winter trips I wear my pac boots.

Everything is comfortable right from the box. Even the full leather boots are ones that fit my feet. I've bought the same brand and model the last three purchases, because I don't want any surprises in that department. I'm not naming brand or model, because the fact that they fit my feet doesn't mean that they'll fit anyone else's.

I don't think there exists anything that is light and flexible as trail runners and still durable enough to stand up to more than a few hundred miles of the sort of abuse that I give my boots.

Teacher & Snacktime
11-09-2013, 18:10
So I thought I did everything right....

Silly Trailwobbles, even if you do everything right you're doing it all wrong! :)

garyp
11-18-2013, 22:51
trailwobbles, I tried several shoes from REI and never found anything that worked for me. The REI salesman suggested I go to Charm City Run www.charmcityrun.com (http://www.charmcityrun.com) just down the street (York Rd, Timonium) and they were great. I bought 5 pairs of Brooks from them last year for my thru.

I ended up getting the Patagonia shoes. I did my shoe break in at the San Diego Zoo with their hills and such. I walked all day and I was pleased. I have a natural high arch and I didn't even wear arch supports with them. Now as I get more experienced I would add a arch support and change nothing else the shoes would be perfect.