PDA

View Full Version : Poly / Wool blend base layer

TheYoungOne
11-26-2012, 16:30
Has anyone used the poly/wool blends during a hike. I have seen this pop up in a few places and they seem to reasonably priced when compaired to Smartwool. Is it the best of both world with poly's quick drying with wool's anti smell, and warm when wet properties?

Feral Bill
11-26-2012, 16:43
The ones Iv'e seen have only a small amount of wool. For the prestige, I suppose.

TheYoungOne
11-26-2012, 17:24
The ones Iv'e seen have only a small amount of wool. For the prestige, I suppose.

I seen a champion brand 80% Poly / 20% Wool in Target for a good price, but I also seen some higher end sporting good stores sell them as well. The high end version are sold as a base layer for hunters, that is why I'm thinking that blend will keep the BO stink down.

burger
11-26-2012, 17:38
I have a North Face poly/wool blend t-shirt. The big plus for me is that this shirt does not get that hiker funk, even after days of sweaty hiking. The main disadvantage is that wool holds water better than polyester, so the shirt takes longer to dry than a poly shirt would. For me, that's a small price to pay for not being able to stand your own smell after a day of hiking. For others, the better wicking of polyester might be preferable.

bubonicplay
11-27-2012, 00:53
Even smartwool and icebreaker use a blend is most of thier stuff, they are reluctant to advertise it though.

MuddyWaters
11-28-2012, 22:39
I have a ~20 yr old pair of duofold that I recall are about 60/40, dont know which/which. They are actually my favorite long underwear. 6 oz, soft, stretchy and comfortable, and warm, even damp with sweat.

I wear them skiing, and hiking if its real cold. They dont stink, but that probably has more to do with an antimicrobial treatment than the wool.

jeffmeh
11-29-2012, 12:32
Icebreaker merino tends to be 96% merino wool, 4% elastane (LYCRA).

leaftye
11-29-2012, 12:51
I bought a few blended shirts recently, but haven't used them. Now I'm wishing I did. I'm not expecting the small fraction of wool to overcome the tremendously foul smell polyester easily takes on.

Zippy Morocco
11-30-2012, 21:07
I have a Patagonia merino 1 which is 60/40. I like it very much and plan to use it for my AT hike 2013. My wife uses a Rab 120 which is about the same blend percentage. If I were to do it again I would go for the Rab. They seem to work nicely. Unfortunately neither of these items are much cheaper than the full merino ones.

We usually do full wool but thought it might be nice in the south east to have something that dries a little quicker.