PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed on Virginia Section Hike

Namtrag
11-26-2012, 17:06
Hi Everyone. My wife and I are fairly new at backpacking. We did one overnight trip to Shenandoah NP, and then recently went on a group trip with some young people through our local outfitter. That trip was two overnights, and was a trip from Catawba Va to Daleville. It was awesome to see McAfees Knob and Tinker Cliffs. Being from the flat lands of Va Beach, and not in our best cardio shape did not deter us, although it made this 20 mile trip seem pretty tough. I have seen many people say it was an easy beginner type trip.

Anyway, we have vowed to get in the best shape possible, and continue section hiking next year once my tax season is over. We were looking at trying to do a 6 day section hike in Virginia. One trip we are considering is parking in Daleville in the Kroger parking lot where we ended our last hike, getting a ride over to the AT at Buena Vista, and then hiking back south to Daleville. It doesn't look incredibly strenuous, but we don't see that there are any re-supplying stops between the two places, and we were hoping to carry 3 days of food at a time.

Any tips are greatly welcome, as are other suggestions for section hikes in northern Tennessee or Virginia.

We love hiking and camping out, and we are so glad we found White Blaze. We have been lurking here for quite a while, reading and taking it all in!

Namtrag
11-26-2012, 17:07
Oh, forgot to mention, we are not extremely fast hikers. We probably average about 2 mph on the AT

Red Hat
11-26-2012, 17:25
Daleville to Buena Vista is less than 80 miles and an easy week hike for you two. You can resupply at Buchanan (groceries 5 miles both east and west)and at Glasgow/Big Island (5 miles east or 5.9 west). This is a beautiful section along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Have fun!

Red Hat
11-26-2012, 17:26
PS, don't know where you got that Catawba to Daleville was easy, because it is not, especially compared to the section you are planning.

Namtrag
11-26-2012, 18:03
PS, don't know where you got that Catawba to Daleville was easy, because it is not, especially compared to the section you are planning.

The 24 year old thru hiker that led our "beginners'" backpacking trip told us so! lol

All 6'2", 170lbs of him!

Namtrag
11-26-2012, 18:11
Daleville to Buena Vista is less than 80 miles and an easy week hike for you two. You can resupply at Buchanan (groceries 5 miles both east and west)and at Glasgow/Big Island (5 miles east or 5.9 west). This is a beautiful section along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Have fun!

Thanks, Red Hat. We also have friends near Buena Vista, and my niece lives in Salem, so we can probably get a good shuttle from one of them to get supplies...they don't know this yet :)

HikerMom58
11-26-2012, 19:54
Ha Ha!! That section is pretty. It crosses the BRP quite a few times. The resupply option through that section is just as Red Hat has stated. Bearwallow Gap is an easy place, right off the BRP, to grab a resupply or a ride down into Buchanan. Also, if you need a trail angel to leave water drops etc.. along that section you got one.... ;) I'm glad you enjoyed hiking around here... it's a great section... IMHO. :)

Pedaling Fool
11-26-2012, 20:07
Seeing that you'll are beginners I'd recommend doing a section of Shenandoah National Park (SNP), that is the easiest part of the trail, although you may not agree with that as you're hiking it, but, it's definitely easier (as a whole) compared to anything south of there. Or you could do the section between Front Royal and Harper's Ferry; it has the Rollercoaster, but still not as bad as anything south of SNP.

BigRing
11-26-2012, 20:08
You may want to check out some hiking clubs or groups on Meetup.com to join....there are all levels of skills on the group hikes.

There is also a lot of good hikes listed for Virginia on Hikingupward.com.

Blissful
11-26-2012, 21:35
Not sure on any resupply at Buchanan (?) There isn't much there that I know of. If you have family along that stretch though, then your resupply is set.

I'd do that section in May with the mtn laurel in bloom if you do plan to go.

Namtrag
11-26-2012, 22:06
Ha Ha!! That section is pretty. It crosses the BRP quite a few times. The resupply option through that section is just as Red Hat has stated. Bearwallow Gap is an easy place, right off the BRP, to grab a resupply or a ride down into Buchanan. Also, if you need a trail angel to leave water drops etc.. along that section you got one.... ;) I'm glad you enjoyed hiking around here... it's a great section... IMHO. :)

Thanks for the offer, and we loved the area. The view from Tinker Cliffs is unbelievable.

Seeing that you'll are beginners I'd recommend doing a section of Shenandoah National Park (SNP), that is the easiest part of the trail, although you may not agree with that as you're hiking it, but, it's definitely easier (as a whole) compared to anything south of there. Or you could do the section between Front Royal and Harper's Ferry; it has the Rollercoaster, but still not as bad as anything south of SNP.

we will and have considered SNP, but have heard that the views aren't the best.

You may want to check out some hiking clubs or groups on Meetup.com to join....there are all levels of skills on the group hikes.

There is also a lot of good hikes listed for Virginia on Hikingupward.com.

we have a big meetup group here and will check it out. We also love hikingupward.com!

Not sure on any resupply at Buchanan (?) There isn't much there that I know of. If you have family along that stretch though, then your resupply is set.

May sounds great! Not too hot yet, and I will be ready for a break after tax season (I am a CPA)

HikerMom58
11-26-2012, 22:15

You are right Blissful about the resupply in Buchanan itself... not much there other than convenience/gas station type stores... just the basics. I would make a list for the family to bring you ur resupply items. I agree with the timing of going through this area.... beautiful in May.

Also, I agree with john gault - that section does have some pretty good climbs in it but there are stretches of nice easy hiking along the BRP.

Southerner
11-26-2012, 23:45
1.) I would rate the section you are considering as moderate, and perhaps a bit on the high end for a beginner (of course depending on the fitness level of said beginner). The climb that would concern me in that section is from the James River to Apple Orchard Mountain. While it's nothing that's going to make the list of notorious AT climbs, it is a long grind with one steep section -- the bit over the unfortunately named High Cock Knob. The sections from Lynchburg Reservoir to Bluff Mountain and from Jennings Creek to Cove Mountain are also no slouches, especially in the eyes of a beginner. Don't get me wrong -- they are do-able, but just don't underestimate those climbs.

2.) Ditto on what's been said on the limited resupply options. Glasgow and Big Island are both a long way off the trail, and neither "town" (Big Island is more of a crossroads) has much to offer. Buchanan, as HikerMomKD said, is a limited option, plus it is really too far south (i.e. close to US 220) to be a good midpoint resupply for the section. I would suggest, if you do the section, to mail your resupply to your friends and have them simply deliver it to you. They don't have to shop, you don't get stuck eating honey buns and jelly beans from a gas station, and you can purchase everything at home where you know where to get the best deals to make-up for the cost of shipping.

3.) In my opinion, you've heard wrong concerning the views in SNP. I saw good and/or great views in SNP every day when I passed through recently on my through-hike. Granted, the AT misses the cream of the crop in SNP (Hawksbill, White Oak Canyon, and Old Rag to name a few), but I was impressed (or re-impressed to be factual since I had section-hiked the park previously). And that's not even mentioning the wildlife, wildflowers, etc. SNP, while in my opinion not the easiest section on the AT, is a gem for beginners with well-graded trails, lots of bang for the hiking effort, and camp stores/waysides/lodges. If you simply want to try something other than SNP, that's one thing, but I wouldn't skip it on the basis of lack of views. In fact, I would rank SNP about as scenic if not more scenic than the section you are considering.

4.) As to other sections for beginners in Virginia or north Tennessee, the rule of thumb is that the farther south you go in Virginia (with the exception of the section from US 60 north to Three Ridges), the harder it gets.

fredmugs
11-27-2012, 08:05
I would recommend SNP as well. The trail is cake. Plenty of re-supply options if you go when the waysides are open. Lots of bail out points if something bad happens. More than likely you'll see bears and those bears will be running AWAY from you.

Namtrag
11-27-2012, 11:44
1.) I would rate the section you are considering as moderate, and perhaps a bit on the high end for a beginner (of course depending on the fitness level of said beginner). The climb that would concern me in that section is from the James River to Apple Orchard Mountain. While it's nothing that's going to make the list of notorious AT climbs, it is a long grind with one steep section -- the bit over the unfortunately named High Cock Knob. The sections from Lynchburg Reservoir to Bluff Mountain and from Jennings Creek to Cove Mountain are also no slouches, especially in the eyes of a beginner. Don't get me wrong -- they are do-able, but just don't underestimate those climbs.

2.) Ditto on what's been said on the limited resupply options. Glasgow and Big Island are both a long way off the trail, and neither "town" (Big Island is more of a crossroads) has much to offer. Buchanan, as HikerMomKD said, is a limited option, plus it is really too far south (i.e. close to US 220) to be a good midpoint resupply for the section. I would suggest, if you do the section, to mail your resupply to your friends and have them simply deliver it to you. They don't have to shop, you don't get stuck eating honey buns and jelly beans from a gas station, and you can purchase everything at home where you know where to get the best deals to make-up for the cost of shipping.

3.) In my opinion, you've heard wrong concerning the views in SNP. I saw good and/or great views in SNP every day when I passed through recently on my through-hike. Granted, the AT misses the cream of the crop in SNP (Hawksbill, White Oak Canyon, and Old Rag to name a few), but I was impressed (or re-impressed to be factual since I had section-hiked the park previously). And that's not even mentioning the wildlife, wildflowers, etc. SNP, while in my opinion not the easiest section on the AT, is a gem for beginners with well-graded trails, lots of bang for the hiking effort, and camp stores/waysides/lodges. If you simply want to try something other than SNP, that's one thing, but I wouldn't skip it on the basis of lack of views. In fact, I would rank SNP about as scenic if not more scenic than the section you are considering.

4.) As to other sections for beginners in Virginia or north Tennessee, the rule of thumb is that the farther south you go in Virginia (with the exception of the section from US 60 north to Three Ridges), the harder it gets.

Great advice, and we will reconsider SNP. SNP was where we did our first overnight trip. We car camped at Loft Mountain Campground on a Friday night, then we got up Saturday and hiked down Patterson Ridge Trail to Big Run Portal, and then back up the next morning on Big Run Loop Trail. We actually spent an hour or so on the AT to complete our loop. Based on that area, we didn't have any great views, but like you said, there are many to be seen. We were a little disappointed we didn't see any bears at all, just a couple of big bear calling cards on the trails!

Hopefully we will be in a lot better shape when we go on our section hike than we were for the trip we took recently to Catawba/Daleville. I am striving to lose about 40 lbs by the time we backpack next spring. So I am thinking we will be ok on most of the climbs, especially if we plan to only cover 40-50 miles in the 5-6 days of hiking.

Thank you so much for the long reply, we appreciate your advice very much.

I would recommend SNP as well. The trail is cake. Plenty of re-supply options if you go when the waysides are open. Lots of bail out points if something bad happens. More than likely you'll see bears and those bears will be running AWAY from you.

The resupply thing could be what tips us to SNP. See above where I said we wanted to see a bear and didn't on our first trip to SNP!

Namtrag
11-27-2012, 11:54
What we enjoy about doing this together is that we can split the weight! We bought moderately priced gear to start out, and so it's not the lightest stuff in the world, but we can split the tent, poles, fly and stakes between us. (It's a Marmot, but the Dick's-only tent they make, great tent, but not ultra light!). We also bought a Big Agnes two person sleeping bag, which stuffs to an unbelievably small size in a compression sack. I carry the bag and the tent stakes, and Paula carries the tent an fly.

She got a North Face 45 liter pack, and I got the low end Field and Stream 65 at Dick's. My pack ways about 4 1/2 lbs empty, so someday I will get a lighter one, but for now it works great. The only thing lacking on both our packs is the little pouches on the waist band to put wallet, cell phone, keys, etc.

What amazes me, is that loaded down, with my 70 oz camelback inside, my pack weighed 26 lbs. It felt so much heavier. I lift weights, and that pack felt twice as heavy as a 25lb plate!

Deer Hunter
11-27-2012, 12:42
Thanks, Red Hat. We also have friends near Buena Vista, and my niece lives in Salem, so we can probably get a good shuttle from one of them to get supplies...they don't know this yet :)

If your friends in Buena Vista aren't able to help, I may be able to help some if needed. I live in Buena Vista. Just PM me.

Namtrag
11-27-2012, 12:50
If your friends in Buena Vista aren't able to help, I may be able to help some if needed. I live in Buena Vista. Just PM me.

Thank you so much DH!

HikerMom58
11-27-2012, 14:11
That goes for me as well Namtrag... I will help you out with resupply, shuttles whenever or wherever you need it... not a problem.. would love to help y'all out. Just PM me.

Namtrag
11-27-2012, 14:16
That goes for me as well Namtrag... I will help you out with resupply, shuttles whenever or wherever you need it... not a problem.. would love to help y'all out. Just PM me.

So many nice people in the backpacking world. It's cool how people in this hobby love to pay it forward.

RED-DOG
11-28-2012, 12:49
Catawba to Daleville is easy. Buena Vista to Daleville that's even easier that trip should only take three days at the absolute most

joshuasdad
11-28-2012, 17:45
Catawba to Daleville is easy. Buena Vista to Daleville that's even easier that trip should only take three days at the absolute most

Red Dog,

I realize that you may not yet be defrosted from your Smokies trip (I did Davenport to Clingmans that weekend), but BV to Daleville is 80 miles, with some significant elevation change. ;)

One of my toughest short days ever was climbing up to Petites Gap from the James River on a 90 degree day. And if beginners are going to have the daylight to do 80 miles in 3 days, they would likely be dealing with the heat.

Namtrag
11-28-2012, 20:14
27 miles a day for us would be 10 hours nonstop. Not my idea of fun!

joshuasdad
11-28-2012, 21:21
27 miles a day for us would be 10 hours nonstop. Not my idea of fun!

If you can so 27 miles @ 2.7 mph (let alone at 2 mph), you are not a beginner. Period.

Namtrag
11-28-2012, 21:30
I was assuming we get in top shape before we go, we definitely did 2 per hour tops on the Catawba trip! But yeah, at 2 per hour, we would have to go 13+ hours per day without resting to finish the BV to Daleville trip in 3 days.

RED-DOG
11-29-2012, 12:57
I have done that mileage in 3 days going north, south bounding that little section would be a lot easier since you actually only got 2 significant climbs, punchbowl,Thunder hill. 80 % of it is down hill , 4 days tops.

RED-DOG
11-29-2012, 13:09
Excuse me thunder hill is the name of the shelter its call (Apple Orchard MT) i do mileage with a Thru-Hikers mind, but that section for section hikers 4 days