PDA

View Full Version : Self Supported AT attempt sub 60 days

joshgarrison
11-26-2012, 18:21
My name is Josh Garrison, I am announcing my self supported attempt of the AT in the spring of 2013. I will start in Georgia sometime in March depending on weather conditions and head north bound. I will adopt the standard of not using the assistance of any motorized vehicle. I will only use two mail drops for two pairs of shoes and resupply often never carrying more than 4 days of food at a time. Seems odd to me this record has lasted so long considering the speedy self supported PCT through hikes of recent years. I will post again in the Spring before I depart with updated daily milage projections and gear list. Right now i am using a 36 L pack, shelter=rain pancho/tarp, wood stove....feel free to contact me with any questions. i depart for africa for the next three months, Josh

email: [email protected]

CrumbSnatcher
11-26-2012, 18:38
welcome to WB :-)
good luck with the hike

tdoczi
11-26-2012, 20:04
i suppose 2 years without a proclamation like this would have been asking too much.

isnt the truck thats going to carry your mailbox to the post office you pick it up at a motorized vehicle that will be assisting you?

John B
11-26-2012, 20:05
:rolleyes: Right. Let us know how things work out for you.

jeffmeh
11-26-2012, 20:07
Best of luck. The self-supported record is even more impressive than the supported one. 36+ mile days on average....

hikerboy57
11-26-2012, 20:07
Tell us about it after you've done it.

Lone Wolf
11-26-2012, 20:36
Tell us about it after you've done it.

what's the difference if he announces it here or up in the 2013 hiker registry forum? most of those folks aren't gonna make it

hikerboy57
11-26-2012, 20:39
what's the difference if he announces it here or up in the 2013 hiker registry forum? most of those folks aren't gonna make it
excellent point.
welcome to whiteblaze!!good luck!!!!

canoe
11-26-2012, 20:49
My name is Josh Garrison, I am announcing my self supported attempt of the AT in the spring of 2013. I will start in Georgia sometime in March depending on weather conditions and head north bound. I will adopt the standard of not using the assistance of any motorized vehicle. I will only use two mail drops for two pairs of shoes and resupply often never carrying more than 4 days of food at a time. Seems odd to me this record has lasted so long considering the speedy self supported PCT through hikes of recent years. I will post again in the Spring before I depart with updated daily milage projections and gear list. Right now i am using a 36 L pack, shelter=rain pancho/tarp, wood stove....feel free to contact me with any questions. i depart for africa for the next three months, Josh

WOW ...now thats getting the job done...quick. Good luck. are you going to document with a video or anything. I would like to see some of your days and nights. What are you going to Africa for?

moytoy
11-26-2012, 20:53
WOW ...now thats getting the job done...quick. Good luck. are you going to document with a video or anything. I would like to see some of your days and nights. What are you going to Africa for?
Walking across Africa would be my guess.

Odd Man Out
11-26-2012, 21:09
Why start in March? According to the ATC, Katahdin doesn't usually open until late May or early June, and VT is best avoided in mud season (mid April-late May). Seems if you are doing a 60 day hike there might be a time window that avoids these obstacles beyond your control?

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail/terrain-by-region/vermont

T.S.Kobzol
11-26-2012, 21:24
Yea. It is odd...

good luck to you.

Don H
11-26-2012, 21:25
Anybody remember wildcowboy238? He was going to do the trail in 30 days unsupported.

What ever happened to him? He was suppose to start May 1​, 2008!

Wise Old Owl
11-26-2012, 21:26
Well de ja vu ya al!

map man
11-26-2012, 23:05
Good luck, Josh. The points Odd Man Out mentions are very important ones. You wouldn't want to speed all the way to Katahdin and then find the trail up it closed to hikers. And since I know from experience that you can make better time hiking during daylight than at night you might want to time your hike for when the days are longest -- maybe start in mid to late May with the goal of finishing in mid to late July, if you have your heart set on a NOBO hike.

I offer these observations as a person who wishes you well.

Hill Ape
11-26-2012, 23:23
book and movie deal to come, lecture tour to follow, stay tuned

Beast Mode
11-27-2012, 01:20
If you start in March you will almost certainly encounter significant snow on the trail in NH possibly VT and ME as well. Also, unless you accomplished a similar challenge already (hiked 40+ miles for at least 10 days in a row on rough terrain), you probably are underestimating the difficulty of this challenge. I have met many incredible hikers for whom even with the greatest determination the trail would take at least 90 days because of physical and temporal constraints. It is next to impossible to average more than 30 miles a day for more than a few days on the AT, and you would be trying for 36+.

fiddlehead
11-27-2012, 06:21
Josh, If you are serious and really think you can do it, there are a few things that are necessary:
Experience, a strong body, an even stronger mind, and the ability to take advice from those with the experience.
Those who are telling you that you are starting to early are correct.
You'll have a much better chance if you wait 2 months for your start.
Also, SOBO is a bit easier when it comes to records.

Good luck.
Keep us informed somehow if you can.

Rocket Jones
11-27-2012, 07:02
Good luck and let us know how it goes, either way we can learn from your experiences.

RED-DOG
11-27-2012, 08:06
WOOD stove; now that's interesting i don't think i have ever seen anybody carry one. i hope it's the hobo type, Good luck and happy hiking. RED-DOG

yellowsirocco
11-27-2012, 08:18
Lol!......

Malto
11-27-2012, 08:21
It is next to impossible to average more than 30 miles a day for more than a few days on the AT, and you would be trying for 36+.

Next to impossible is way too strong especially since there is a hiker currently on the trail doing well over a 30mpd average and it is november. I know quite a few hikers that would no issue with averaging 30mpd on the AT. Now as far as the starting March 1st, this seems insane. It will be hard enough to average 36 with long days, better weather and no snow. Why stack the cards against yourself? I would start no earlier than May 1st. And I'm curious how effective you can monitor the weather. A March start date leaves you open for some pace slowing weather at any point on the trail.

Slo-go'en
11-27-2012, 14:39
Without knowing anything about this guy's experiance level and abilities, I hate to say it can't be done, but it can't be done. The fact that he wants to start in March is an indication he is clueless as to trail and weather conditions during that time of year. It seems that those who never hiked the AT are the ones who think they can do it in record time.

max patch
11-27-2012, 14:51
My name is Josh Garrison, I am announcing my self supported attempt of the AT in the spring of 2013.

Josh, if you are surprised at the reaction you are getting you should know that every year people - with no apparent resume - announce on this site that they are going to break this or that record the upcoming season. They usually disappear from sight shortly after they start and they realize they have no chance.

My "favorite" was the guy who announced last year that he was going to SHATTER the record. Even got written up in the local newspaper. On the first day of his training hike - he was going to hike from somewhere in the NE to Katahdin and then turn around and start his record hike - he got rained on and quit. Never even started his hike.

Just a Hiker
11-27-2012, 14:53
Josh, if you are serious and want to give yourself a fighting chance, I would definitely wait until Summer and go SOBO. You might also want to contact Jennifer Pharr Davis for tips on the psychological aspects of a speed hike. Good luck!

hikerboy57
11-27-2012, 15:44
Josh, if you are surprised at the reaction you are getting you should know that every year people - with no apparent resume - announce on this site that they are going to break this or that record the upcoming season. They usually disappear from sight shortly after they start and they realize they have no chance.

My "favorite" was the guy who announced last year that he was going to SHATTER the record. Even got written up in the local newspaper. On the first day of his training hike - he was going to hike from somewhere in the NE to Katahdin and then turn around and start his record hike - he got rained on and quit. Never even started his hike.

im not sure why anyone would post their intentions here.you can anticipate some skepticism.
i did notice however, that he hasnt posted since, which makes me think hes serious about it, and just didnt wait around for the naysayers, just made his stamement of intent, and promptly left the building.
it would be great to hear from him telling us that hes done it.if hes spending 3 months in africa, hes only going to have a months rest before his attempt, although a march start, ill agree doesnt make too much sense.
we'll see.

tdoczi
11-27-2012, 16:35
assuming he leaves march 1st and maintains a record setting pace, does anyone terribly familiar with baxter and all the rules know when the last time katahdin was open to hikers wanting to summit on april 29th or sooner?

hikerboy57
11-27-2012, 16:42
assuming he leaves march 1st and maintains a record setting pace, does anyone terribly familiar with baxter and all the rules know when the last time katahdin was open to hikers wanting to summit on april 29th or sooner?hed still be wading through snow to get there.id agree that the best way would be to start nobo around may1

Lone Wolf
11-27-2012, 16:49
the best way is to start in july at katahdin and go SOBO. get the first 400 miles out of the way while he's still fresh

Blissful
11-27-2012, 17:34
the best way is to start in july at katahdin and go SOBO. get the first 400 miles out of the way while he's still fresh

Yes, go SOBO if you are truly serious in giving it a try. July is an excellent month

Malto
11-27-2012, 17:50
Here is a very interesting graphic showing different year's relative snow levels for Vermont. 2001 is the year that Flyin Brian started northbound on the AT during his triple crown hike. You can easily see that this was a very bad year to make that choice. In contrast this last year would have been the perfect year to either do a triple crown attempt or as the OP plans, an early speed hike.

http://173.193.223.192/~bestsnow/vrmthist.htm

tdoczi
11-27-2012, 19:54
hed still be wading through snow to get there.id agree that the best way would be to start nobo around may1

sure, but my point is that even if he can wade through the snow to get there whats the point if odds are he wouldnt be allowed to finish the hike?

hikerboy57
11-27-2012, 20:02
its kinda funny that he put his post up and left, leaving us to endlessly debate how it should be done.maybe hes smarter than we think.

moytoy
11-27-2012, 20:03
im not sure why anyone would post their intentions here.you can anticipate some skepticism.
i did notice however, that he hasnt posted since, which makes me think hes serious about it, and just didnt wait around for the naysayers, just made his stamement of intent, and promptly left the building.
it would be great to hear from him telling us that hes done it.if hes spending 3 months in africa, hes only going to have a months rest before his attempt, although a march start, ill agree doesnt make too much sense.
we'll see.
He's watching, he was on this morning at 9:09.

canoe
11-27-2012, 20:24
Maybe he is just trolling. If this is the case he caught a cooler full

moytoy
11-27-2012, 20:33
Maybe he is just trolling. If this is the case he caught a cooler full
He did give his e-mail which is an e-mail on a server at westmont college in Santa Barbara, Ca

canoe
11-27-2012, 21:01
must be a teacher/preacher he graduated in 07

canoe
11-27-2012, 21:02
must be a teacher/preacher he graduated in 07

or still using his college email from 6 years ago...which is possible

Del Q
11-27-2012, 21:24
Nature Boy was crushing the record until he got bonked on the head outside of Waynesboro. Would be cautious posting too accurately as to your position on the trail.

Cookerhiker
11-27-2012, 21:44
Seems to me that the wild card is how long it takes him to resupply. Given that he's unsupported and probably going as light as possible i.e. only a few days worth of food, has he factored time to hitch from the trailhead to town, buy his food at a decent store, hitch back to the Trail? What about showers, laundry? With his ambitious schedule, he probably can't spend a night in town taking in amenities unless his arrival is at the end of his 36 mile day.

Some towns are easier to get to than others.

Lone Wolf
11-27-2012, 21:46
Seems to me that the wild card is how long it takes him to resupply. Given that he's unsupported and probably going as light as possible i.e. only a few days worth of food, has he factored time to hitch from the trailhead to town, buy his food at a decent store, hitch back to the Trail? What about showers, laundry? With his ambitious schedule, he probably can't spend a night in town taking in amenities unless his arrival is at the end of his 36 mile day.

Some towns are easier to get to than others.
he says he'll not take motorized assistance. he'll fail this attempt. fact

canoe
11-27-2012, 21:56
he says he'll not take motorized assistance. he'll fail this attempt. fact
....yep.....

canoe
11-27-2012, 21:57
Nature Boy was crushing the record until he got bonked on the head outside of Waynesboro. Would be cautious posting too accurately as to your position on the trail.

Tell me the story of nature boy

canoe
11-27-2012, 21:57
what happened in waynesboro

hikerboy57
11-27-2012, 21:59
if its the same josh garrison, hes a speed climber.
http://www.tenacityinpursuit.com/video.php
this is getting interesting

jeffmeh
11-27-2012, 22:01
Hey, if he gets rides from the trail into town and back, but hikes end-to-end, I'll give it to him as unsupported. Note that having someone deliver supplies to the trail crossing makes it a supported hike.

Did Ward Leonard forego all motorized assistance to resupply?

Lone Wolf
11-27-2012, 22:02

he "claimed" to have been beaten by 2 assailants while sleeping or some such thing. nothing was proven

Sarcasm the elf
11-27-2012, 22:16

Just gave that site a quick look, there are some fairly cool videos under the "Adventure" section on the link.

Elder
11-27-2012, 22:17
he "claimed" to have been beaten by 2 assailants while sleeping or some such thing. nothing was proven

No assailant(s) were found. Police reports etc. were made. NO question he sustained damage as I saw him myself the next morning.
L.W why the antagonism? Nature Boy was making an honest attempt.

Malto
11-27-2012, 22:26
Couple points:
1) no question Natureboy was a contender. No clue what happened in Waynesboro but I do know he was physically capable of taking on the challenge physically.
2) it doesn't matter if josh is a speed climber or the second coming of Andrew Skurka. If he makes. Critical mistake like starting in March then his speed attempt could be over before it started. This is exactly what happened to Tunahelper on his record attempt of the PCT, he started too early thinking the Sierra was the only snow he had to worry about and then outpaced the snow melt in Oregon and quit the trail. I believe up to that point he was at or close to Williamson's pace. Waiting even a couple of weeks could have changed his outcome. And this isn't just Monday morning quarterbacking. There were several folks that suggested he delay his start date but he chose not too. Only time will tell if Josh plays it smarter.

canoe
11-27-2012, 23:02

Great videos. He s got experiance, young, fit,. but still will be quite an undertaking. Hope he takes his camera. His does good work.

Nutbrown
11-27-2012, 23:07
Ya'll are some impressive internet stalkers:)

canoe
11-27-2012, 23:17

someone making proclaimations you gotta find out if they are legit

moytoy
11-27-2012, 23:20
someone making proclaimations you gotta find out if they are legit
He could turn out to be a very interesting person. It would be nice if he would give more information.

tdoczi
11-27-2012, 23:56
Hey, if he gets rides from the trail into town and back, but hikes end-to-end, I'll give it to him as unsupported. Note that having someone deliver supplies to the trail crossing makes it a supported hike.

Did Ward Leonard forego all motorized assistance to resupply?

i tried to discuss here once, in a roundabout sort of way, just what exactly he did or did not do and came to realize one thing- no one seems to have any clue.

Lone Wolf
11-28-2012, 01:32

No assailant(s) were found. Police reports etc. were made. NO question he sustained damage as I saw him myself the next morning.
L.W why the antagonism? Nature Boy was making an honest attempt.

antagonism. had to look it up http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/antagonism no antagonism at all. what i said is the truth. nothing was proven. nobody was charged. no identification was made. very questionable circumstances

HikerMom58
11-28-2012, 07:56

I agree... I've never seen such good internet stalkers in my life... so impressive. :)

Don H
11-28-2012, 08:58

There's an entire 16 page thread on it if you want to read about Nature Boy.

hikerboy57
11-28-2012, 09:56
google is a great thing.guy makes his proclamation, then promptly leaves, didnt take too much effort to find him. if its the same guy, then it looks like a legitimate attempt. hope he decides to start later

Cookerhiker
11-28-2012, 10:32
Hey, if he gets rides from the trail into town and back, but hikes end-to-end, I'll give it to him as unsupported. Note that having someone deliver supplies to the trail crossing makes it a supported hike....

I agree. This subject has come up over the years on WB. So if he hitches from road crossings where no one knows him apart from the average hiker (if at all), that doesn't constitute a "supported" hike. How can you put it in the same category as those hikers who have someone meeting them at every road crossing supplying food, etc.?

tdoczi
11-28-2012, 10:43
I agree. This subject has come up over the years on WB. So if he hitches from road crossings where no one knows him apart from the average hiker (if at all), that doesn't constitute a "supported" hike. How can you put it in the same category as those hikers who have someone meeting them at every road crossing supplying food, etc.?

because either way its a ride to town. what if you called the local shuttler in each town and had him meet you at the trailhead so you didnt have to hitch. is that supported or unsupported? and what logical basis is there for firmly declaring either? to me there is none and its pointless. theres 2 sensible ways of looking at it a) there is one record- fastest hike of the trail with total disregard to how it was done b) apply the hyoh theory and let anyway decide that however they did it is the fastest anyone has done it that way. there are endless possibilities of this and comparing one to the other is an excercise in pointlessness, especially when no one can definitively say what the supposed record holder did or did not do to set the record.

tdoczi
11-28-2012, 10:45
because either way its a ride to town. what if you called the local shuttler in each town and had him meet you at the trailhead so you didnt have to hitch. is that supported or unsupported? and what logical basis is there for firmly declaring either? to me there is none and its pointless. theres 2 sensible ways of looking at it a) there is one record- fastest hike of the trail with total disregard to how it was done b) apply the hyoh theory and let anyway decide that however they did it is the fastest anyone has done it that way. there are endless possibilities of this and comparing one to the other is an excercise in pointlessness, especially when no one can definitively say what the supposed record holder did or did not do to set the record.

i also just realized the OP said nothing of setting any records, just trying to finish in under 60 days.

jeffmeh
11-28-2012, 11:33
i also just realized the OP said nothing of setting any records, just trying to finish in under 60 days.

From the OP: "Seems odd to me this record has lasted so long considering the speedy self supported PCT through hikes of recent years."

max patch
11-28-2012, 11:39

Since the record is 60.5 days....

tdoczi
11-28-2012, 11:52
Since the record is 60.5 days....

is it really? do you know or can you look up or point me in the direction of someone who knows the start and end dates of the supposed record hike? do we even know that much about that thing some of us seem to hold in such hugh regard?

tdoczi
11-28-2012, 11:54
From the OP: "Seems odd to me this record has lasted so long considering the speedy self supported PCT through hikes of recent years."

youre read of intent is probably correct but its a very vague statement. no where does he say "i am going to break the record." being that it is the thing people usually say and that he did not say it, i think he deliberately chose not to and the use of the word record in a slightly different context was... accidental?

jeffmeh
11-28-2012, 11:57

Yes, there are certainly some ambiguities as to what constitutes an unsupported hike.

There is no amibiguity around the supported hike. Hike the entire trail, but anything goes otherwise.

For unsupported, the best way to make it unambiguous would be to require hiking the entire trail, hiking to and from any resupply point, and foregoing any supplies from trail magic or anything other than a normal, publically accessible purveyor or delivery location. Beyond that, anything goes. So the best way to game this within the rules would be to have someone pre-shop and gather supplies so they are ready to go when you get there, lol. I would still be extremely impressed if someone could pull this off in 60 days.

Lone Wolf
11-28-2012, 11:57
is it really? do you know or can you look up or point me in the direction of someone who knows the start and end dates of the supposed record hike? do we even know that much about that thing some of us seem to hold in such hugh regard?

warren doyle knows the dates. i was on the trail that year when Ward set it

Sly
11-28-2012, 13:56
IMO, there are three distinct categories.

1) Supported.
2) Self-supported, walking the entire distance with a backpack but no outside of the norm support. (mailing your own supplies is normal)
3) Semi self supported where one walks the entire trail with a backpack but may have help or hitch to resupply.

Mags
11-28-2012, 14:11

1) Supported.
2) Self-supported, walking the entire distance with a backpack but no outside of the norm support. (mailing your own supplies is normal)
3) Semi self supported where one walks the entire trail with a backpack but may have help or hitch to resupply.
There is a 4th category found on smaller trails (e.g. the Long Trail or the Colorado Trail)
4) Non-supported: All food is carried from the start. No hitchhiking to towns or parcels picked up along the way.

Personally, I'm looking to set a speed record for quickest time at at the local brew pub post-hike....

It's a lofty goal, but one I am willing to work hard at attaining.

jeffmeh
11-28-2012, 14:15
There is a 4th category found on smaller trails (e.g. the Long Trail or the Colorado Trail)
4) Non-supported: All food is carried from the start. No hitchhiking to towns or parcels picked up along the way.

Personally, I'm looking to set a speed record for quickest time at at the local brew pub post-hike....

Quickest time TO the local brew pub I can understand. After that it is a marathon, not a sprint, lol.

Rasty
11-28-2012, 14:28

Another worthy goal - Longest Distance without tripping on a rock or root (2 categories - Sober and After Brew-Pub)

Sly
11-28-2012, 14:30

Yup, forgot, Alpine style penned by Coup of GoLite that did the Triple gem that way. (JMT, CT, LT)

tdoczi
11-28-2012, 14:39

1) Supported.

"outside the norm" is a far too debatable and vague concept, especially given the wide variety of things that are currently the norm for AT thru hikers.

Feral Bill
11-28-2012, 14:43
And all this is what we get when people turn a trail into a race track.

tdoczi
11-28-2012, 14:44
warren doyle knows the dates. i was on the trail that year when Ward set it

then you can tell us all what ward's concept of "unsupported" was and assure us that he never deviated from it?

because really, without knowing that there is no way to really know if someone has broken his record. hypothetically, if in his mind calling ahead for a ride into town was acceptable, then it acceptable for the person trying to break his record to do so. if he didnt think it was, then someone trying to break his record cant either. since we dont know anywhere near this level of detail of what ward did or did not consider acceptable (from the little i know i doubt he even stopped to consider such things) then the idea of trying to break his record is hopeless from the start as you dont even know what it is youre trying to break.

now, saying you are going to hike the trail in under 60 days according to rules you define for yourself is something a good bit different, and what i think the OP is really saying.

in any case he isnt going to be allowed to summit katahdin by april 29th if he even makes it there.

Malto
11-28-2012, 14:59
There seems to be a standard developing at least on the PCT that says that unsupported means no vehicles but allows access to typical thru hiker trail magic etc. The only gray in this definition is the fact that well known hikers will often get extra trail magic because folks know what they are doing and approximately when they will be at a location. But even this pales in comparison to the differences that hikers face year to year.

In my mind what Warren did in not as important as clearly stating the rules of game for a record attempt. Up front. If this is done then it puts the burden on the next record breaker to match the rules. This is what is happening on the PCT at least with the latest two attempts, Williamson and Tunahelper. They both declared that they would follow the no vehicle rule.

tdoczi
11-28-2012, 15:08
In my mind what Warren did in not as important as clearly stating the rules of game for a record attempt. Up front. If this is done then it puts the burden on the next record breaker to match the rules. This is what is happening on the PCT at least with the latest two attempts, Williamson and Tunahelper. They both declared that they would follow the no vehicle rule.

well sure, but how does one break a record if you dont have a declaration of rules from the previous record holder?

Sly
11-28-2012, 15:12
then you can tell us all what ward's concept of "unsupported" was and assure us that he never deviated from it?

because really, without knowing that there is no way to really know if someone has broken his record. hypothetically, if in his mind calling ahead for a ride into town was acceptable, then it acceptable for the person trying to break his record to do so. if he didnt think it was, then someone trying to break his record cant either. since we dont know anywhere near this level of detail of what ward did or did not consider acceptable (from the little i know i doubt he even stopped to consider such things) then the idea of trying to break his record is hopeless from the start as you dont even know what it is youre trying to break.

There was no calling ahead for a ride back then. The best one could do it figure out a day and approximate time to meet someone.

jesse
11-28-2012, 15:14
i suppose 2 years without a proclamation like this would have been asking too much.

And every time its brought up, we go through the same tired arguments. I'll bet you could go through the archives and find a dozen threads that match this one almost word for word.

Malto
11-28-2012, 15:20
well sure, but how does one break a record if you dont have a declaration of rules from the previous record holder?

Since there is no further known rules other than unsupported then I would think the current bar would be strictly unsupported with no vehicle restriction to and from supply points.

Mags
11-28-2012, 15:27
I would think the current bar....

This one is across the street from Casa Mags more or less....
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wild-Woods-Brewery/281478828618033?fref=ts

This one is a 10 minute walk away....
http://averybrewing.com/tap-room/

(Closer if I am going for the record)

Odd Man Out
11-28-2012, 15:29
...since we dont know anywhere near this level of detail of what ward did or did not consider acceptable (from the little i know i doubt he even stopped to consider such things) then the idea of trying to break his record is hopeless from the start as you dont even know what it is youre trying to break....

That's why God invented the asterisk. Just as Maris.

tdoczi
11-28-2012, 15:38
There was no calling ahead for a ride back then. The best one could do it figure out a day and approximate time to meet someone.

was the payphone at the dartmoth skiway not there in the 90s? i'm sure there are other places where it would be similarly easy to call for a ride without a cell. and back then there may have even been more as payphones were more common.

and its also very easy to arrange a meeting as you suggest. i could call from the inn at long trail and have someone meet me at kent pond in 2 hours, for instance.

the fact that cells were less prevalent in ward's day doesnt mean there was "no calling for a ride back then." and anyway, while less common, cells most definitely existed then anyway.

tdoczi
11-28-2012, 15:40
Since there is no further known rules other than unsupported then I would think the current bar would be strictly unsupported with no vehicle restriction to and from supply points.

and what are the rules of "unsupported" again exactly? and do we know that the current record holder followed them to a T without any slight deviation?

and to head off where this is inevitably going- i realize you have your concept of what unsupported means and thats fine, but to think everyone is going to agree with it and that it is what ward leonard did is incredibly presumptuous.

hikerboy57
11-28-2012, 16:07
and what are the rules of "unsupported" again exactly? and do we know that the current record holder followed them to a T without any slight deviation?

and to head off where this is inevitably going- i realize you have your concept of what unsupported means and thats fine, but to think everyone is going to agree with it and that it is what ward leonard did is incredibly presumptuous.

i hope we get this all nailed down soon so the op knows what the rules are.he hasnt logged on since 909am yesterday

Feral Bill
11-28-2012, 16:16
i hope we get this all nailed down soon so the op knows what the rules are.he hasnt logged on since 909am yesterday Gee? I wonder why?

tdoczi
11-28-2012, 16:47
i hope we get this all nailed down soon so the op knows what the rules are.he hasnt logged on since 909am yesterday

for his purposes the rules are whatever he wants them to be, i'm sure he knows this already. others felt that restrictions hes giving himself arent necessary and arent part of some other set of rules apparently. its sort of like the "your hiking too fast!' thing in reverse. except this is "no no no, youre ALLOWED to hitch rides."

hikerboy57
11-28-2012, 17:08
Gee? I wonder why?

is probably out having fun somewhere well we're sitting behind computers.

colorado_rob
11-28-2012, 17:15
Despite this silly posturing and trying to help this gentleman "define rules", I'm excited by the fact that he will give this a try next spring. I hope to see him pass me by and I hope I recognize him when he does. My own personal goal is to do the AT in 120 days, seems very modest compared to 60 days, but it will be quite a feat for myself to do, hence why I will attempt it.

This kind of "discussion" happens all the time out here in Colorado when various mountain climbing records are attempted, like just recently this past year when a pal of mine tried to break the 14er record (climb all the 55 mountains ion CO higher than 14,000 feet in less than 10 days, 20 hours, a record set a dozen or so years ago). the agreed-to set of "rules", whereby the general mountaineering community would recognize the feat amounted to: If the new record holder accepts no additional outside support to make his/her quest substantially easier than the previous record holder, his feat would be recognized. For example, if a new record holder used a helicopter to transport between the base of the mountains (the old record holder used merely a jeep), that would not be recognized as a new record. The old record holder used a pacer as a companion, but did not have his pacer carry any of his gear. The new record attempt guy followed this same "rule". (Alas, after being well on track for 7 days and 41 mountains, an injury cut this quest short, nice try though John).

So simply for an AT record, IMHO: if the previous record holder hitched rides into town to resupply, and called this his/her version of being "unsupported", and the new record holder did the same, that's OK. If the new record holder, however, used pre-arranged vehicles to drive him into town at his resupply points, that would break the spirit of the new attempt and should not be recognized.

Anyway, good luck to the OP and I personally will be following this closely if the attempt is made. Fun stuff.

tdoczi
11-28-2012, 17:19
So simply for an AT record, IMHO: if the previous record holder hitched rides into town to resupply, and called this his/her version of being "unsupported", and the new record holder did the same, that's OK. If the new record holder, however, used pre-arranged vehicles to drive him into town at his resupply points, that would break the spirit of the new attempt and should not be recognized.

agreed. which brings us back just what the heck did the previous record holder do or not do? still waiting for anyone to tell me without using the word "unsupported."

yellowsirocco
11-28-2012, 20:26
This one is across the street from Casa Mags more or less....
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wild-Woods-Brewery/281478828618033?fref=ts

I love their cover picture with all the hops.

matthew.d.kirk
11-28-2012, 21:05
theres 2 sensible ways of looking at it a) there is one record- fastest hike of the trail with total disregard to how it was done b) apply the hyoh theory and let anyway decide that however they did it is the fastest anyone has done it that way.

Tdoczi, I too would be very interested to hear more details on how Ward did it back in the day. I don't know many details either. It is my understanding that this 60.5 day mark has been surpassed by over half a dozen people within the last two decades. Each of these individuals had a dedicated crew driving a vehicle to meet them and support them along the trail.

I agree the term "unsupported" is a vague concept, especially along the populated AT. However, I disagree that it is hopelessly indefinable. Perhaps 2013 is the year to clearly define it. In my opinion, it should be as Scott Williamson defines it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i20iLz0uuoc&noredirect=1

-Matt (hoping to get a chance to shake Josh's hand somewhere between GA and ME)

CrumbSnatcher
11-28-2012, 21:28
a record attempting supported hike, is what jen did
a record attempting unsupported hike would be just like a traditional thruhike, just alot faster :-)

yellowsirocco
11-28-2012, 22:04
A supported hike is when you are having to hold on to your buddy as you go down the trail because you drank too much before leaving town.

An unsupported hike is when you can walk on your own down the trail because you didn't drink enough before leaving town.

Sarcasm the elf
11-28-2012, 22:34
And all this is what we get when people turn a trail into a race track.

Yup pretty much.

That just means he's smarter than us...

It's funny, I get really psyched and supportive when I hear that someone sets a goal for themselves and pushes themselves to their own limit. When I hear that someone want's to break (no shatter!) someone else's record (as happened with that kid last year) I just stop caring so much. I wish this guy the best and hope for his sake that he doesn't give a toss about the sort of minutia being discussed in this thread. As for me, I'll be working my way up to shattering a personal record and finally doing a 20 mile day...maybe.:rolleyes:

P.S. These discussions always make me think of Caddyshack:

Judge Smails (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0461095/): Ty, what did you shoot today?
Ty Webb (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000331/): Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.
Judge Smails (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0461095/): Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?
Ty Webb (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000331/): By height. :sun

tdoczi
11-29-2012, 00:08
Tdoczi, I too would be very interested to hear more details on how Ward did it back in the day. I don't know many details either. It is my understanding that this 60.5 day mark has been surpassed by over half a dozen people within the last two decades. Each of these individuals had a dedicated crew driving a vehicle to meet them and support them along the trail.

I agree the term "unsupported" is a vague concept, especially along the populated AT. However, I disagree that it is hopelessly indefinable. Perhaps 2013 is the year to clearly define it. In my opinion, it should be as Scott Williamson defines it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i20iLz0uuoc&noredirect=1

-Matt (hoping to get a chance to shake Josh's hand somewhere between GA and ME)

I would like to think someone doing it in less than 60 days would help define it, as the record would be to do it as they did only in less time, but i'm sure someone will find something they did or didn't do that somehow makes their accomplishment unequal to what they think WL's was.

hikerboy57
11-29-2012, 00:10
I would like to think someone doing it in less than 60 days would help define it, as the record would be to do it as they did only in less time, but i'm sure someone will find something they did or didn't do that somehow makes their accomplishment unequal to what they think WL's was.

maybe josh's attempt will be the one to define it.

Slo-go'en
11-29-2012, 00:11
Tdoczi, I too would be very interested to hear more details on how Ward did it back in the day.

Ward was not a very sociable guy. I can't see Ward having done much hitch-hiking, so I suspect he just resupplied where and when he could. If you walk sun up to sun down with out stopping much or at all, you can cover a lot of ground so you don't have to resupply often and can hit towns that are either on or very near the trail.

tdoczi
11-29-2012, 00:12
a record attempting unsupported hike would be just like a traditional thruhike, just alot faster :-)
and whats a traditional thru hike? theres a lot of traditions on the AT these days, such as slackpacking mt moosilauke in the easier direction. anytime ive brought this up before people attempt to deny it, but trust me, it and other stuff like it happens way more than you think. the fact is there is no longer a "traditional" way to thru hike the AT. maybe there once was, but given all the discussion faily recently about what did or did not go on during the original thru hike, i'm not so sure there was a "traditional" way historically either.

tdoczi
11-29-2012, 00:14
maybe josh's attempt will be the one to define it.

i'm still waiting for one the people who know the ins and outs and historical norms for BSP to give an opinion on if what hes planning is even at all remotely possible.

Sarcasm the elf
11-29-2012, 00:17
Seriously, I find it very amusing that you all are arguing over a record where:

1) The race track changes direction and distance annually.
2) There are no set rules.
3) It would be impossible to confirm that someone kept in-bounds of the track for the duration of the race.
4) The governing body denies that the course is a racetrack and refuses to acknowledge a winner.
5) Dancing Banana:banana

tdoczi
11-29-2012, 00:22
Seriously, I find it very amusing that you all are arguing over a record where:

1) The race track changes direction and distance annually.
2) There are no set rules.
3) It would be impossible to confirm that someone kept in-bounds of the track for the duration of the race.
4) The governing body denies that the course is a racetrack and refuses to acknowledge a winner.
5) Dancing Banana:banana
see, what youre missing from my "argument" is that I agree with everything you say, which is why I think its all dumb. theres no point to having 2 different records other than that when someone broke ward's record someone else got their panties all in a bunch because whoever did didn't do it the "right way."

Hill Ape
11-29-2012, 01:17
anybody can break a record, records are for followers and attention hores... if you want to SET a record, hike backwards, whistlin dixie the whole way. now that would be a record that will get your name in the news, and your face on a wheaties box

seriously, why stress about a record? you prove nothing at all.
:banana oh that is fun, now i see why yall do it

Beast Mode
11-29-2012, 01:27
Doesn't a "no vehicle" restriction on unsupported basically mean adding like 500 miles to the trail? Some of the towns are 5+ miles from the trail..

Malto
11-29-2012, 08:02
Doesn't a "no vehicle" restriction on unsupported basically mean adding like 500 miles to the trail? Some of the towns are 5+ miles from the trail..

The resupply plan for someone that is doing a record hike or even a speed hike is so different than what you would have done. If you are knocking out 35 a day then a 100 resupply leg would be pretty typical. You would cherry pick the closest resupplies. I laid out a fast hike resupply plan for the AT and there was few areas that would require much creativity to overcome the need for vehicle assistance.

Seatbelt
11-29-2012, 09:52
The fact that the trail is longer now than when Ward hiked it would make this more of an accomplishment even if he just matched the number of days--60 or whatever.

I have read or heard somewhere that Ward actually hiked the entire trail 3 times in one calendar year. IF this is true, supported or not, to me it would be more of an accomplishment than the one we are discussing.

Don H
11-29-2012, 11:27
The resupply plan for someone that is doing a record hike or even a speed hike is so different than what you would have done. If you are knocking out 35 a day then a 100 resupply leg would be pretty typical. You would cherry pick the closest resupplies. I laid out a fast hike resupply plan for the AT and there was few areas that would require much creativity to overcome the need for vehicle assistance.

Does calling in an air drop for resupply disqualify you?

Pedaling Fool
11-29-2012, 11:30
The increased length of the trail doesn't really matter for this type of an event. Do the math. A trail with a lenght of 2,160 miles in 60 days vs a trail with a lenght of 2,200 miles in 60 days.

Rasty
11-29-2012, 11:32
Does calling in an air drop for resupply disqualify you?

If you can catch the package your OK. If it hits the ground your disqualified. If it's dropped without a parachute and you catch it you get a one day bonus!

Cookerhiker
11-29-2012, 11:48
Let's appoint a committee to come up with a rulebook for "record" hikes including establishing categories of "support" with specific, detailed definitions for each category. And of course, a bureaucracy to administer the competetion and certify the results.:rolleyes:

tdoczi
11-29-2012, 13:41
Let's appoint a committee to come up with a rulebook for "record" hikes including establishing categories of "support" with specific, detailed definitions for each category. And of course, a bureaucracy to administer the competetion and certify the results.:rolleyes:

or just give it up and admit that the record is the record no matter how you did it.

Sly
11-29-2012, 13:49
The increased length of the trail doesn't really matter for this type of an event. Do the math. A trail with a lenght of 2,160 miles in 60 days vs a trail with a lenght of 2,200 miles in 60 days.

Right, an extra 30 miles would only average 10 more minutes a day.

Pepper
11-29-2012, 14:01
Peter Bakwin who runs the Fastest Known Times forum is generally the governing body for anything speed related. His site is well documented and most serious attempts go through him with authenticity. Peter has gone to great lengths to clearly define everything and keep things apples to apples as much as possible. Many of your answers can be found there: http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/

One of the first 'rules' is to clearly state you intentions, which is what Josh's first post was. The next step would be to contact the current record holder (assumed to be Ward) and state your intentions with him. This contact is greatly maximize consistency with the 'style' in which the original record was set.

As far as I know Josh will be going self-supported which means: Self-supported means that you don't carry everything you need from the start, but you don't have dedicated, pre-arranged people helping you. This is commonly done a couple different ways: You might put out stashes of supplies for yourself prior to the trip, or you might just use what's out there, such as stores, begging from other trail users, etc.

As far as I know he will not be hitching into town, but I am only assuming that. Either way, hitching is within the realm of self-supported attempts as long as the rides aren't pre-arranged, i.e calling a shuttle, having a friend meet you, etc. It is generally faster to walk into town rather than hitch, especially along the very populated Appalachian Trail corridor. Here would be a sample resupply strategy that would only add 30mi of hiking to avoid hitching:

0.0mi Springer
135.0mi Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) 135mi on-trail (3.75 days)
270.7mi Hot Springs, NC 135mi on-trail (3.75 days)
385.5mi Elk Park, NC 115mi 2.5mi off-trail (3.2 days)
459.5mi Damascus, VA 75mi on-trail (2 days)
622.1mi Pearisburg, VA 163mi on-trail (4.5 days)
715.8mi Troutville, VA 93mi 0.8mi off-trail (2.6 days)
848.4mi Waynesboro, VA 133mi 3mi off-trail (3.7 days)
1008.8mi Harper's Ferry, WV 160mi on-trail (4.4 days)
1133.2mi Duncannon, PA 125mi on-trail (3.5 days)
1279.5mi Delaware Water Gap, PA 146mi on-trail (4 days)
1387.8mi Bear Mountain, NY 108mi on-trail (3 days)
1485.5mi Salisbury, CT 98mi 0.4mi off-trail (2.7 days)
1636.8mi Manchester Center, VT 151mi 5.5mi off-trail (4.2 days)
1732.7mi Hanover, NH 96mi on-trail (2.7 days)
1876.7mi Gorham, NH 136mi 3.6mi off-trail (3.75 days)
2023.4mi Caratunk, ME 147mi on-trail (4.1 days)
2174mi Katahdin 150mi (4.2 days)

I am a personal friend of Josh's and am very excited about his attempt.

Cookerhiker
11-29-2012, 15:12
The supplies & stores in some of those "on-trail" locations e.g. NOC, Bear Mountain, Caratunk are very limited unless you're talking about sending maildrops to those locations.

Sly
11-29-2012, 15:25
The supplies & stores in some of those "on-trail" locations e.g. NOC, Bear Mountain, Caratunk are very limited unless you're talking about sending maildrops to those locations.

Bear Mountain is on that list so it's apparent, mailing supplies would be acceptable.

Sly
11-29-2012, 15:33
I wonder if Ward was a purist. There are places I did "blue blaze" in and out of and others I considered blue blazing in and out of such as Fontana Dam and Gorham, NH.

Lone Wolf
11-29-2012, 15:38
It is generally faster to walk into town rather than hitch, especially along the very populated Appalachian Trail corridor.

ummmm. no it's not

Lone Wolf
11-29-2012, 15:39
I wonder if Ward was a purist. There are places I did "blue blaze" in and out of and others I considered blue blazing in and out of such as Fontana Dam and Gorham, NH.

yes he was. extremely so

tdoczi
11-29-2012, 16:23
ok, so i got one- lets say you hitch into town to spend the night at a hotel or hostel. you arrange a ride (a pre arranged ride, follow?) back to the trail in the morning. are you still unsupported, or do you have to hitch back to the trail since pre arranged rides arent allowed (seems to be the opinion of most here anyway)?

yeah, i know its a ridiculous question, thats sort of my point.

if your answer is no, you dont have to also hitch back, then why is it wrong to call for a ride into town?

Lone Wolf
11-29-2012, 17:25
ok, so i got one- lets say you hitch into town to spend the night at a hotel or hostel. you arrange a ride (a pre arranged ride, follow?) back to the trail in the morning. are you still unsupported, or do you have to hitch back to the trail since pre arranged rides arent allowed (seems to be the opinion of most here anyway)?

yeah, i know its a ridiculous question, thats sort of my point.

if your answer is no, you dont have to also hitch back, then why is it wrong to call for a ride into town?
you got issues :rolleyes:

tdoczi
11-29-2012, 17:29

hey, the notion of an "unsupported hiking record" wasnt mine. whoever came up with THAT has issues.

HikerMom58
11-29-2012, 17:37
I don't think I can believe an upsupported hiker, to tell the truth. They should have a camera man with them 24/7 watching their every move. How would you ever believe that person didn't cheat? I'm sure their are clear cut rules for an upsupported hiking record... Why would the rules be seen as having issues? It is what it is....

Rasty
11-29-2012, 17:41
I don't think I can believe an upsupported hiker, to tell the truth. They should have a camera man with them 24/7 watching their every move. How would you ever believe that person didn't cheat? I'm sure their are clear cut rules for an upsupported hiking record... Why would the rules be seen as having issues? It is what it is....

Then the camera man would be the true winner as he/she has to carry a pack and a camera the whole time without killing themselves while filming. It's like watching footage of climbers on Everest where the camera crew is climbing a harder route to get the shots.

HikerMom58
11-29-2012, 17:47
Ha Ha!! True dat. I agree- they are the true WINNERS! Give them that record holding status... WTG, Rasty!! :)

Sarcasm the elf
11-29-2012, 18:20
I don't think I can believe an upsupported hiker, to tell the truth. They should have a camera man with them 24/7 watching their every move. How would you ever believe that person didn't cheat? I'm sure their are clear cut rules for an upsupported hiking record... Why would the rules be seen as having issues? It is what it is....Just to clarify, there are no clear cut rules because there is no official record. As far as the ATC is concerned it's a hiking trail not a racetrack, and they do not sanction or confirm any speed record claims. All "speed records" being discussed are strictly on the honor system.

Lone Wolf
11-29-2012, 18:25

and i can't believe any thru-hiker. what makes you think they don't cheat? lotta folks wearin' patches that shouldn't be. i'll believe speed hikers over other hikers any day

jeffmeh
11-29-2012, 18:26
Hey, I like where he is going with his issues, lol.

chief
11-29-2012, 19:29
There are no records, no rules, just attention whores! And book deals, talk circuit, etc.

Cookerhiker
11-29-2012, 20:16
Then the camera man would be the true winner as he/she has to carry a pack and a camera the whole time without killing themselves while filming. It's like watching footage of climbers on Everest where the camera crew is climbing a harder route to get the shots.

It's like what they said about Ginger Rogers: she did everything Fred Astaire did backwards and in high heels.:D

max patch
11-29-2012, 20:17

Exactly.

It boggles the mind that some people can't seem to grasp this simple concept.

Lone Wolf
11-29-2012, 20:30
Exactly.

you, crumb and i are old school. we get it

Rasty
11-29-2012, 21:07
Exactly.

you, crumb and i are old school. we get it

Wolf, I think almost everyone here gets it. Almost but not all.

Sarcasm the elf
11-29-2012, 21:53
Wolf, I think almost everyone here gets it. Almost but not all.

Oh, we get it. Some of us just find all this talk about rules and records to be quite silly.

hikerboy57
11-29-2012, 21:58
Oh, we get it. Some of us just find all this talk about rules and records to be quite silly.
why you got something better to do?

Sarcasm the elf
11-29-2012, 22:23
why you got something better to do?

Nah, the A.T.'s my escape. I get all uptight and defensive whenever I hear people discussing rules on how to hike it.

That not withstanding I still root for the speed hikers, it's just the peanut gallery that stresses me out.

hikerboy57
11-29-2012, 22:28
Nah, the A.T.'s my escape. I get all uptight and defensive whenever I hear people discussing rules on how to hike it.

That not withstanding I still root for the speed hikers, it's just the peanut gallery that stresses me out.
i have a feeling that for josh its much more about the personal challenge than it is about any sort of formal recognition.

hikerboy57
11-29-2012, 22:42
we just love defining stuff. categorizing, classifying, labelling, sorting, naming. thre are people who care and people who dont. your own moral compass dictates the purity of your hike and you know whether you cheated or not, or if it really matters to you ta all.. its too easy to cheat, unless you really want to hike being monitored the whole time 24/7 and the only ones that care are the ones who set the "rules".

HikerMom58
11-29-2012, 23:00
Oh I see... I get it!! :) I always learn something new on WB.

And for the record... I don't know if I believe everyone that claims to be a thru hiker. It only really matters to the person that thru hiked the trail or NOT. ;)

tdoczi
11-29-2012, 23:17
Exactly.

It boggles the mind that some people can't seem to grasp this simple concept.it boggles my mind why some people cant understand that "traditiona; thru hike" is an incredibly vague term and that their concept of it is likely not universally accepted.

tdoczi
11-29-2012, 23:18
and, no one has answered my question yet either.

Rasty
11-29-2012, 23:26

You may need to ask Ward as he was the only eye witness for the whole trip.

10-K
11-29-2012, 23:29
and i can't believe any thru-hiker. what makes you think they don't cheat? lotta folks wearin' patches that shouldn't be. i'll believe speed hikers over other hikers any day

I totally don't get why someone would lie about hiking a trail to get a patch. That's really dumb. I can't imaging pretending I did something to get a patch....

atmilkman
11-29-2012, 23:35
I totally don't get why someone would lie about hiking a trail to get a patch. That's really dumb. I can't imaging pretending I did something to get a patch....
No s*** Sherlock. Unless.................you were trying to impress all your "friends" on facebook.

hikerboy57
11-30-2012, 00:23
let him take a stab at it, hopefully start later, and tell us about it afterward. hell have a great story to tell, regardless of how he does it, and id like to hear that story.we'll have years afterward to judge him and the purity of his attempt.

Lone Wolf
11-30-2012, 00:56
i have a feeling that for josh its much more about the personal challenge than it is about any sort of formal recognition.

if that were the case he wouldn't have posted a damn thing about it. ward never did

Lone Wolf
11-30-2012, 00:57

what exactly is your question?

hikerboy57
11-30-2012, 07:02
if that were the case he wouldn't have posted a damn thing about it. ward never did

nor did ward post his story here afteward.
tdoczi wants answers

tdoczi
11-30-2012, 07:48
what exactly is your question?
you read it and told me I had issues, forgot already?

tdoczi
11-30-2012, 07:50
nor did ward post his story here afteward.
tdoczi wants answers

I don't really. I just think its funny the mythic regard some people hold towards something that happened over 15 years ago which they know almost nothing about. i'm also still waiting for some to tell me the start and finish dates.

jeffmeh
11-30-2012, 10:50
If one wishes to discuss records, criteria must be established to set context for any meaningful discussion. There is no such consensus on criteria for an "unsupported" hike. Ward's hike is considered the record, so perhaps his approach would shed some light on those criteria, but no such details are forthcoming. That seems to me to be tooczi's point.

I will still be very impressed if the OP finishes in 60 days without mechanical assistance (I'm ruling out bicycles too, lol), and I wish him well.

tdoczi
11-30-2012, 11:11
If one wishes to discuss records, criteria must be established to set context for any meaningful discussion. There is no such consensus on criteria for an "unsupported" hike. Ward's hike is considered the record, so perhaps his approach would shed some light on those criteria, but no such details are forthcoming. That seems to me to be tooczi's point.

I will still be very impressed if the OP finishes in 60 days without mechanical assistance (I'm ruling out bicycles too, lol), and I wish him well.

exactly. and since hes not here to tell us one way or the other, its entirely possible he did something like pre-arrange a ride, maybe just once. but if he did it just once, then its apparently within the rules and someone trying to set his record can do it 200 times if they want, in other words, hike supported in essence.

the bottom line to me is ward did whatever was necessary to set the record at the time. it wasnt the "unsupported record" it was the record- fastest hike of the AT, end of story. since then others have broken that record doing whatever they needed to do to beat it. the existence of an "unsupported record" is just whining by people who dont like what those who broke ward's record did to do so. its sort of like people who think it somehow doesnt count when a professional athlete today breaks a record from 50 years ago because it was somehow harder back then, and if that guy played today he'd do it even better. does usain bolt need to wear 1950s track shoes for his records to be valid? i'm sure hed run measurably slower if he did... but so what?

i thought of another question that maybe lone wolf can make a snide remark to and then later claim he never read-

ok, so maildrops are allowed on an unsupported hike, right? what if those drops are sent to you by someone from home, or maybe several someones at different locations. is that ok, or do you have to send them to yourself? what if one of the people who is sending you maildrops lives 15 minutes from duncannon, so instead of mailing it he brings it to you in person. is that still unsupported, or do you now no longer qualify for the unsupported record? seems silly to think the drop would have to literally be mailed for the hike to be considered unsupported, no? but if that is allowed, then why not just have every maildrop brought to you in person along the way? do we know ward leonard never had a maildrop handed to him by someone rather than have it mailed? it does seem he is from new england, he could have easily had someone bring him supplies a couple of times.

Lone Wolf
11-30-2012, 11:21
why are you so obsessed with this?

tdoczi
11-30-2012, 11:30
why are you so obsessed with this?

on going discussion of something that makes absolutely no sense bothers me. i guess its one of my issues.

so can you enlighten me with answers to my perfectly legit questions and help me understand better?

Marta
11-30-2012, 11:33
Here's my take: supported means other people carry your stuff; unsupported means you carry your own stuff and make your own camps. Whether you prearrange rides to town is irrelevant. Having a day hiker hand you a Snickers would not invalidate an unsupported hike. :-)

This is not an Olympic event with official rules and referees. It's more like a sandlot ball game where the kids make up the rules and get into prolonged arguments over what's fair.

Lone Wolf
11-30-2012, 11:36
Here's my take: supported mans other people carry your stuff; unsupported means you carry your own stuff and make your own camps. Whether you prearrange rides to town is irrelevant. Having a day hiker hand you a Snickers would not invalidate an unsupported hike. :-)

it really is that simple. ward didn't prearrange rides. he didn't do mail drops. at the time he was very anti-social. he was/is mentally ill. he was a hiking machine in the 80s and 90s.

tdoczi
11-30-2012, 11:54
it really is that simple. ward didn't prearrange rides. he didn't do mail drops. at the time he was very anti-social. he was/is mentally ill. he was a hiking machine in the 80s and 90s.

did he hitch rides? seems someone meeting his description would have a tough time doing so (as would i)

tdoczi
11-30-2012, 11:59
Here's my take: supported means other people carry your stuff; unsupported means you carry your own stuff and make your own camps. Whether you prearrange rides to town is irrelevant. Having a day hiker hand you a Snickers would not invalidate an unsupported hike. :-)

This is not an Olympic event with official rules and referees. It's more like a sandlot ball game where the kids make up the rules and get into prolonged arguments over what's fair.

ok, so heres my idea for an unsupported hike someone besides me can undertake-

carry no or very minimal shelter. average enough miles per day to make it to pre arranged rides into town as often as possible. otherwise always stop at shelters or the handful of times you get into a spot where neither can be done, just suck it up and sleep on the ground in pile of leaves. i dont think that would be necessary too many times. in the whites, sleep at the huts.

if you followed this plan and made it in under 60.5 days without freezing to death somewhere, youd be the new unsupported record holder, right?

jeffmeh
11-30-2012, 12:07

OK, so what if you prearrange for someone to meet you at a road crossing with supplies? What if fellow hikers, knowing who you are, feed you for much of the trip?

I will accept your second point, but then we are not really talking about records in any meaningful way. We are talking about impressive hikes. Sorry to contribute to the prolonged argument, lol.

tdoczi
11-30-2012, 12:15
OK, so what if you prearrange for someone to meet you at a road crossing with supplies? What if fellow hikers, knowing who you are, feed you for much of the trip?

I will accept your second point, but then we are not really talking about records in any meaningful way. We are talking about impressive hikes. Sorry to contribute to the prolonged argument, lol.

at least 1 person gets what i am saying, theres hope yet.

Mags
11-30-2012, 12:54
Tdoczi,

Time to give it a rest. You made your point. Let others discuss the record attempt now..not your opinion of it. :)

thanks in advance!

Cookerhiker
11-30-2012, 14:01
Buried in all this is a nugget of sound advice for the OP from many responders: consider changing your start date to May or do a SOBO starting late June/early July.

rickb
11-30-2012, 19:44
I like the guys who set their own standards without regard to what others think "the rules" are. One that comes to mind is the individual who holds the record for hiking the AT the most times-- Warren Doyle. Though the ATC and most others would not consider it important to ford the Kennebec rather than taking a canoe, he would not consider a hike complete if he were paddled across. He makes set his own standard and lived by it.

To greater or lesser degree we all establish our on contracts on the trail and in life. That's the way it should be, even for those setting new hiking records, I think.

fiddlehead
11-30-2012, 22:32
I saw Ward hiking that year. '91 I believe it was.
I was in the whites and had hiked until dusk.
I was setting up camp and he walked by and said hi to my hiking friend whom he knew.
He was walking into the dark with no shelters anywhere near for the next 5 miles or so.

He looked very normal.
Dressed very nicely and looked clean (for a thru-hiker)
I would not have known it was him because I expected a different appearance after all the talk about him being a bit crazy.

He was quite and amazing hiker.
Stories said he mostly ate while he walked without taking off his pack.
His problems usually occurred when he tried to socialize.

Once he walked up to another friend of mine (a complete stranger to him) and said: "You look like the kind of hiker who leaves the aluminum foil in the firepit" My friend was an easy going guy so just laughed it off, but saying things like this was what got him in trouble.

Slo-go'en
12-01-2012, 20:37
Once he walked up to another friend of mine (a complete stranger to him) and said: "You look like the kind of hiker who leaves the aluminum foil in the firepit" My friend was an easy going guy so just laughed it off, but saying things like this was what got him in trouble.

Ward walked into a shelter I was having lunch at, looked at me and another hiker who was there and commented - "You can't be thru-hikers - your gear isn't dirty enough" and left. Had me scratching my head wondering what that was all about...

joshgarrison
03-13-2013, 20:16
It's been about four months and am just putting the finishing touches on my prep for an early April start. I did read through all the replies and appreciate the feedback, and as much as I would like to start later, I have other commitments this summer. New updates-I did manage to persuade a friend to join the attempt. We will start together and both have the same resupply schedule with the hopes of finishing together. Again, I will follow the standard of the Williamson/Bradley self supported PCT hike and not use any motorized assistance. My resupply schedule only adds a mile or so of extra walking, so a car wouldn't do me much good anyhow. In terms of documenting this attempt, I will record voice memos from my phone to save time and will transcribe them upon completion (like Tuna Helper of the PCT). I will occasionally have family and friends update my progress on a trail journal, but not in real time. I also am willing to keep in touch with someone as a 3rd party along the trail for further consistency. I am pretty excited for this challenge to begin. Josh

aficion
03-13-2013, 20:40
It's been about four months and am just putting the finishing touches on my prep for an early April start. I did read through all the replies and appreciate the feedback, and as much as I would like to start later, I have other commitments this summer. New updates-I did manage to persuade a friend to join the attempt. We will start together and both have the same resupply schedule with the hopes of finishing together. Again, I will follow the standard of the Williamson/Bradley self supported PCT hike and not use any motorized assistance. My resupply schedule only adds a mile or so of extra walking, so a car wouldn't do me much good anyhow. In terms of documenting this attempt, I will record voice memos from my phone to save time and will transcribe them upon completion (like Tuna Helper of the PCT). I will occasionally have family and friends update my progress on a trail journal, but not in real time. I also am willing to keep in touch with someone as a 3rd party along the trail for further consistency. I am pretty excited for this challenge to begin. Josh

Excited for you. Have at it, and have fun!

Train Wreck
03-13-2013, 21:10
Go for it, enjoy your hike and your summer wherever it leads. I've done a small portion of the JMT in California and seen a little bit of Oregon, you are in for an amazing hike if those little pieces are any indication.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2013, 21:14
you got a better chance at the record goin' SOBO

Malto
03-13-2013, 21:14
A couple of suggestions on documenting. First, let other know your story, they will write about it in their journal. I was able to find out about Swami's Calendar year Triple crown from other hikers journal entries talking about a crazy Australian hiker. Another option is to pass out card having folks put entries into a journal guest book documenting location and time. I saw this done for JMT speed attempts.

I would look to do this rather than just rely on Tuna Helpers approach. I know there was talk of him having a bit of help in a support operation along the way. Much of this could have been caused by the virtual blackout of his hike. I would be more than willing to update your progress here or any other site if that is help. PM me and we can make easy arrangements. Also, I am located in PA a few miles from the trail. I have been known to bring a few hikers ice cream out on the trail in middle of nowhere. Or may a few Hershey bars.

Have a great hike, I have done much of the trail at the pace you're planning though only a hundred miles or so at a shot. It is very doable with the right preparation and a bit of luck.

canoe
03-13-2013, 21:20
JOSH, glad to hear it s coming together for you. I look forward to reading or hearing about your hike. Have a blast man. Good luck and godspeed.

rocketsocks
03-13-2013, 21:27
It's been about four months and am just putting the finishing touches on my prep for an early April start. I did read through all the replies and appreciate the feedback, and as much as I would like to start later, I have other commitments this summer. New updates-I did manage to persuade a friend to join the attempt. We will start together and both have the same resupply schedule with the hopes of finishing together. Again, I will follow the standard of the Williamson/Bradley self supported PCT hike and not use any motorized assistance. My resupply schedule only adds a mile or so of extra walking, so a car wouldn't do me much good anyhow. In terms of documenting this attempt, I will record voice memos from my phone to save time and will transcribe them upon completion (like Tuna Helper of the PCT). I will occasionally have family and friends update my progress on a trail journal, but not in real time. I also am willing to keep in touch with someone as a 3rd party along the trail for further consistency. I am pretty excited for this challenge to begin. JoshCool, look forward to hearing about your progress. Have a great hike Josh, the waiting is always the hardest part, well one of the hardest parts anyway.

Slo-go'en
03-13-2013, 21:44
Well good luck. Maine has gotten a LOT of snow with high water density this winter and it has barely started to melt. It's gonna be a close call as to whether you get up here before the trails start to dry out or not. We have the makings of an epic mud season this year and if you stay on pace, it will be a close call as to how bad it is. Watch out for Vermont! Vermont mud has been known to suck a boot right off the foot!

IrishBASTARD
03-13-2013, 22:05

isnt the truck thats going to carry your mailbox to the post office you pick it up at a motorized vehicle that will be assisting you?
BEST OF LUCK JOSH, Ignore tdoczi, he is just pissed he lives in Jersey.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2013, 22:07

now that's funny :)

slow mind
03-13-2013, 22:07
Hi Roadside

rocketsocks
03-13-2013, 22:28
Hi RoadsideNow that, is funny :)

rocketsocks
03-13-2013, 22:30
Now that, is funny :)Everybody's funny

Train Wreck
03-13-2013, 23:14
Ignore the naysayers ;)

Second Half
03-14-2013, 03:28
Everybody's funny

Now you're funny too.

rocketsocks
03-14-2013, 03:40
Now you're funny too.My man who makes good beer, now I can finally go to sleep, been waiting here all night for that to get finished....but not really, too funny.

Oh and I didn't want to triple quote my own self, wait I think I just did...oh well.

matthew.d.kirk
04-07-2013, 18:45
Available here: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=406286

Very excited to follow along as I'm sure many others are as well. From the looks of it, he and his friend are scheduled to arrive at NOC sometime tomorrow reaching, or surpassing 137 miles in the first 4 days. Go Josh!

map man
04-07-2013, 18:57
Looks like April 5, 7:45 AM is the official start. Good luck Josh (and Josh)!

(edit: and that would mean he would need to arrive at the top of Katahdin before 7:45 PM June 4 to beat 60.5 days)

Malto
04-07-2013, 19:32
I got a voice mail from him this morning near the Ga/NC border. Sounded like he was in excellent spirits.

Slo-go'en
04-07-2013, 20:21
He really should have waited another few weeks or a month to start. If he manages to get into NH and on time, it will be the middle of mud season and high water fords. There could well be snow left at the higher elevations and on northern slopes in Maine - they got a lot of snow this year and it's only just started to melt a little.

It would be a real shame if he made it up this far and had to slow down to a crawl due to poor trail conditions. He'd better pray it doesn't rain much in May or it could get even worse. Of course, it always rains a lot in May around here...

Okay, enough negativity. I wish him luck.

Studlintsean
04-08-2013, 16:51
Was this TJ deleted? The link above doesnt seem to be working today.

matthew.d.kirk
04-08-2013, 19:21
Sorry, that was not the best link I provided in my last message. The journal is still up, here is a better link: http://www.trailjournals.com/joshgarrison/

Firefighter503
04-10-2013, 22:52
He is pushing hard right out the gate. Good luck to him. :D

k2basecamp
04-11-2013, 20:51
He needs to take care of his achilles. He should be alternating footwear so they will provide a bit more support. Trail runners not so good when constantly wet. Worth the extra weight. And I'd be mighty sick of the beans after 4 days. Variety in food is a must.

Malto
04-11-2013, 20:57
He needs to take care of his achilles. He should be alternating footwear so they will provide a bit more support. Trail runners not so good when constantly wet. Worth the extra weight. And I'd be mighty sick of the beans after 4 days. Variety in food is a must.

I am not aware of a single person doing a serious record attempt that alternates footwear. And just curious how many 35 mile days you have done wearing something "a bit more supportive" than trail runners, I suspect not many or you wouldn't be saying this. He is off to a great start. If anything his Achilles may not have been quite ready for sustained 35 mile days. He should be out of the Smokies today. Had a message from him yesterday evening that he was at clingmans dome yesterday evening and hoping to get a few more in by the end of the day.

k2basecamp
04-11-2013, 21:55
My point was that he didnt need to bring something different than trail runners just 2 pairs of the same shoes. I bet JPD switched to fresh shoes often albeit she didnt have to pack 'em. Heck he's movin fast enough to change them out every 4or 5 days when he resupplies.

I wish him the best of luck on his attempt.

shelb
04-11-2013, 23:16
. He is off to a great start.....message from him yesterday evening that he was at clingmans dome yesterday evening and hoping to get a few more in by the end of the day.

It was kind of you to reach out to support him with communication and to keep us informed!
Thanks!!

matthew.d.kirk
04-13-2013, 21:41
I was fortunate enough to get out and hike with Josh and get some video of him from day 8 and 9. Great guy. Here's the link: http://youtu.be/ldi4R1NT9VgOne noteworthy natural observation from my 24-mile roundtrip hike today was that on my way back south from hiking north with Josh, I saw dozens of blooms of bloodroot, which had opened within the few hours since we had passed through! Pretty cool.

matthew.d.kirk
04-13-2013, 21:43
Here's the correct link: http://youtu.be/ldi4R1NT9Vg (http://youtu.be/ldi4R1NT9VgOne)

capehiker
04-13-2013, 22:04
Here's the correct link: http://youtu.be/ldi4R1NT9Vg (http://youtu.be/ldi4R1NT9VgOne)

Nice interview. If he stays healthy, I think he can do it. Listening to his background, he's not someone who just woke up and decided to do this challenge without having outdoor experience.

David Katz
04-14-2013, 04:35
Hey WhiteBlaze folks! I am Dave, one of Josh's friends and co-workers with the California Outward Bound School. I've read through all the WB comments to Josh's post back in 2012.My intent of posting this is to share a bit about what I know about Josh Garrison. I've known Josh for about seven years. We traveled together in Nepal, Peru and Haiti, and have worked together on Outward Bound courses in California. Although he only recently started documenting his adventures with cameras, his hiking/running resume includes three major undocumented achievements, that I believe to be true (don't quote me on the numbers, just look them up): A) Hiking the "W Circuit" in southern Patagonia in a day (50+ miles) B) The Mansalu-Annapurna linkup in Nepal in 2 1/2 days. (~150miles over two 17000' passes) C) The Devils Path Yo-Yo in the Catskills of New York in less than 20 hours (don't remember the exact time) about 50 miles Josh is mostly a rock climber, and he has poured a lot more of his energy into that pursuit. Here's a list of climbs that also have little official "documentation" but I believe to be true, based on the fact I know his partners and they also confirmed the following climbs. A) A derivation of the "Soft-Man-Linkup" in Yosemite. He ran up Snake Dike on Half Dome then ran over to the East Buttress on El-Capitan and then completed a full route on Middle Cathedral all in a day. Pretty substantial amout of hiking and rock climbing for one day, most would agree. B) The "Nose" on El Capitan in thirteen hours C) Multiple ascents of the "Regular Route" on Half dome Recently Josh has made a few videos of his climbs and trips, I'm going to share a few here. "Nepal Exploration" including some shots of me and Josh together http://vimeo.com/41130410 The "Evolution Traverse" in California with Ryan Huetter http://vimeo.com/15555114 North Tower of Paine in Patagonia with Ryan Huetter http://vimeo.com/10265831 First ascents in the Rio Turbio Valley in Patagonia with Ryan Huetter http://vimeo.com/22616635 "Regular Route" on Half Dome - Josh leading most (22/24) pitches http://youtu.be/oIjJHwYbZqc So that's a little bit more about the mysterious kid trying at a difficult task. So far, as I understand it, he's on track to complete the AT in less than 60 days, his stated goal. He is well aware of the weather possiblities in New Hampshire and Maine. He is sending voice memos to his friends from an iPhone and they are updating his trail journal is almost daily. You can read it here: trailjournals.com/joshgarrison Thanks to Matt for the interview, stoked to watch that once I have a solid internet connection :) I'm a photographer and fellow adventurer. I've had the pleasure of collaborating with Josh many times. Ya'll can see my work here: http://www.tenacityinpursuit.com Cheers! David

treesloth
04-16-2013, 12:46
No updates in three days after Achilles tendon complaints (now on descent as well). I hope he's still on track; I'm rooting for him, he's clearly a very strong hiker.

Feral Bill
04-16-2013, 12:54
After seeing the interview I'm pulling for him. Seems like a solid guy.

Seatbelt
04-16-2013, 14:42
Hey WhiteBlaze folks! I am Dave, one of Josh's friends and co-workers with the California Outward Bound School. I've read through all the WB comments to Josh's post back in 2012.My intent of posting this is to share a bit about what I know about Josh Garrison. I've known Josh for about seven years. We traveled together in Nepal, Peru and Haiti, and have worked together on Outward Bound courses in California. Although he only recently started documenting his adventures with cameras, his hiking/running resume includes three major undocumented achievements, that I believe to be true (don't quote me on the numbers, just look them up): A) Hiking the "W Circuit" in southern Patagonia in a day (50+ miles) B) The Mansalu-Annapurna linkup in Nepal in 2 1/2 days. (~150miles over two 17000' passes) C) The Devils Path Yo-Yo in the Catskills of New York in less than 20 hours (don't remember the exact time) about 50 miles Josh is mostly a rock climber, and he has poured a lot more of his energy into that pursuit. Here's a list of climbs that also have little official "documentation" but I believe to be true, based on the fact I know his partners and they also confirmed the following climbs. A) A derivation of the "Soft-Man-Linkup" in Yosemite. He ran up Snake Dike on Half Dome then ran over to the East Buttress on El-Capitan and then completed a full route on Middle Cathedral all in a day. Pretty substantial amout of hiking and rock climbing for one day, most would agree. B) The "Nose" on El Capitan in thirteen hours C) Multiple ascents of the "Regular Route" on Half dome Recently Josh has made a few videos of his climbs and trips, I'm going to share a few here. "Nepal Exploration" including some shots of me and Josh together http://vimeo.com/41130410 The "Evolution Traverse" in California with Ryan Huetter http://vimeo.com/15555114 North Tower of Paine in Patagonia with Ryan Huetter http://vimeo.com/10265831 First ascents in the Rio Turbio Valley in Patagonia with Ryan Huetter http://vimeo.com/22616635 "Regular Route" on Half Dome - Josh leading most (22/24) pitches http://youtu.be/oIjJHwYbZqc So that's a little bit more about the mysterious kid trying at a difficult task. So far, as I understand it, he's on track to complete the AT in less than 60 days, his stated goal. He is well aware of the weather possiblities in New Hampshire and Maine. He is sending voice memos to his friends from an iPhone and they are updating his trail journal is almost daily. You can read it here: trailjournals.com/joshgarrison Thanks to Matt for the interview, stoked to watch that once I have a solid internet connection :) I'm a photographer and fellow adventurer. I've had the pleasure of collaborating with Josh many times. Ya'll can see my work here: http://www.tenacityinpursuit.com Cheers! David

Any chance you know Bill Bryson?

Violent Green
04-18-2013, 07:44
Looks like the Achilles injury did him in, he is now off the trail. Hate to hear it. He was doing well.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=408319

Ryan

TOW
04-18-2013, 09:15
It's been about four months and am just putting the finishing touches on my prep for an early April start. I did read through all the replies and appreciate the feedback, and as much as I would like to start later, I have other commitments this summer. New updates-I did manage to persuade a friend to join the attempt. We will start together and both have the same resupply schedule with the hopes of finishing together. Again, I will follow the standard of the Williamson/Bradley self supported PCT hike and not use any motorized assistance. My resupply schedule only adds a mile or so of extra walking, so a car wouldn't do me much good anyhow. In terms of documenting this attempt, I will record voice memos from my phone to save time and will transcribe them upon completion (like Tuna Helper of the PCT). I will occasionally have family and friends update my progress on a trail journal, but not in real time. I also am willing to keep in touch with someone as a 3rd party along the trail for further consistency. I am pretty excited for this challenge to begin. JoshGood luck bro, hope we are able to keep up with your progress and that you do what you have set out to do. If you have not passed thru Damascus already give me a call and I will help you any way I can....276 274 3637

TOW
04-18-2013, 09:23
Looks like the Achilles injury did him in, he is now off the trail. Hate to hear it. He was doing well.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=408319

Ryan

just read that, bet he does it one of these days!

Jeff
04-18-2013, 10:00
Another example of how difficult it is to challenge Ward Leonards record from 1990.

max patch
04-18-2013, 10:08
I guess he channeled his inner Kobe.

k2basecamp
04-20-2013, 21:26
Lesson from Ward Leonard. It was not Ward's first thru and he had built up his mileage over several years. You go out of the gate doing repeat 30+ days with even an ul pack and somethin's goin give. Best prep for breaking the self-supported record is doing the trail first.

Grampie
04-21-2013, 09:50
I have always said; "Hiking the AT is a lot like having sex. You think you can do a lot until you get started."

jeffmeh
04-21-2013, 11:58
I have always said; "Hiking the AT is a lot like having sex. You think you can do a lot until you get started."

Lol. Except if your hiking lasts more than four hours there is no need to call your doctor.

David Katz
04-21-2013, 18:25
Any chance you know Bill Bryson?

I read his book about hiking the AT. Josh and I have also read/followed Ray Jardine, a big inspiration of mine.

stranger
04-24-2013, 08:44
It wasn't Ward's first thru that year, he hiked the AT 3 times in 1990

Seatbelt
04-24-2013, 12:36
I read his book about hiking the AT. Josh and I have also read/followed Ray Jardine, a big inspiration of mine.

Actually I was teasing you 'cause of your last name.........Sorry