PDA

View Full Version : Down shirt

10-K
11-26-2012, 23:24
Anybody wear one? What is it exactly?

I'll find out soon enough - I just ordered one from Eddie Bauer using the 40% off coupon... just wondering if I bought a pig in a poke or something really useful.

What I'm hoping is that it'd make a good winter mid layer or function as a lightweight jacket in the fall/spring.

Karma13
11-27-2012, 10:27
I got a Montbell down shirt, and I love it -- except I had to delete it off my thru-hike gear list. It ended up being too much of a single-use item to justify the weight (7 ounces).

The Cleaner
11-27-2012, 11:20
I've got a Patagonia Nano Puff pullover,something close to a down shirt.It and an Iceberaker 200wt baselayer is all I need at camp down to about 25*....

Wise Old Owl
11-27-2012, 11:31
yea do not hike in it - it will be soggy after three or four hours. - its for when you are in camp

10-K
11-27-2012, 11:35
Yeah I did know that. Hiking in down is a no-no.

I typically push the limits of my sleeping bag and was thinking this would be lighter than a fleece and would pack smaller so it would be a good choice of something to wear while sleeping.

It also sounds perfect for shoulder seasons when the temps don't drop enough to carry a coat but a little something warm to wear is nice to have.

Praha4
11-27-2012, 13:43
10-K

you'll find a good use for it. I had to laugh a little... cuz I can't say how much hiking stuff I've bought online the last few days during the "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday" sales. I thought I had everything, but some of the sales were too good to pass up...

Geez my inbox has been flooded 3-4 times a day with 50%, 40%, 25% OFF sales and coupons.... Campmor, Campsaver, Mossejaw, Backcountry, Backcountry Edge, Altrec, Eastbay, Eddie Bauer, REI, and a dozen others I can't remember now.....

Feral Bill
11-27-2012, 13:56
Yeah I did know that. Hiking in down is a no-no.

If its cold enough (<0 F) and windy enough, hiking in down can be a very good idea.

Old Boots
11-27-2012, 14:32
I use an Eddie Bower 900 fill down shirt after hiking when I am in camp. It is a great way to avoid the chill that comes over me when I am cooling down. It is light and very packable. It also woks well as a pillow stuffer at night.