PDA

View Full Version : which bag?

Lilred
05-20-2005, 21:46
I'm leaving to start a six week section next Sunday and I'm questioning which bag I should take. I was planning on taking my 55 degree bag, but I'm not sure how cold it still gets in the mountains in the beginning of June. I'm starting my hike just north of Standing Indian Mountain. I should be through the Smokies by the middle of June. Would the 55 degree bag be enough or should I take my 20 degree bag.

Thanks for any advice....

mbroadhe
05-20-2005, 23:12
Take the warmer bag. You can always sleep on top of it. With the weather fluctuating this time of year, I'd plan for the worst especially in higher elevations.

neo
05-20-2005, 23:44
I'm leaving to start a six week section next Sunday and I'm questioning which bag I should take. I was planning on taking my 55 degree bag, but I'm not sure how cold it still gets in the mountains in the beginning of June. I'm starting my hike just north of Standing Indian Mountain. I should be through the Smokies by the middle of June. Would the 55 degree bag be enough or should I take my 20 degree bag.

Thanks for any advice....
i would take a 55 degree bag with non woven nylon liner,they are cheap,they are 7.99 and weigh 5oz and add 5 degrees to bag,night time temps should not get below 50 degrees:cool: neo

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=7733&memberId=12500226

neo
05-20-2005, 23:46
all i carried was a 55 degree bag and liner from campmor in summer months:cool: neo

MedicineMan
05-21-2005, 00:18
we are still in the forties at home (adjacent to little Rock knob) and the mountain folk (my neighbors) say another freeze is just around the corner.
but you can always plan on sleeping in your clothes too.......

neo
05-21-2005, 07:45
this my favorite summer bag i use it in my hammock with no pad,it has a draw cord in the foot box azipper slots at shoulder end for my arms,very cool bag
:cool: neo

http://www.rei.com/product/11429496.htm?

Lilred
05-21-2005, 09:32
this my favorite summer bag i use it in my hammock with no pad,it has a draw cord in the foot box azipper slots at shoulder end for my arms,very cool bag
http://www.rei.com/product/11429496.htm?

Neo,
That's the exact bag I plan on taking. I think I'll take my 20 degree through the Smokies, then switch them out at Standing Bear Hostel.

Thanks for everyone's imput. Medicine Man, I put a lot of faith in what mountain folk say about weather, thanks for the info.

neo
05-21-2005, 09:43
in the warmer months your cooler temps are in the smokies average around 50 degrees in june july and august at night,i love the smokies in the summer time

neo
05-21-2005, 09:48
Neo,
That's the exact bag I plan on taking. I think I'll take my 20 degree through the Smokies, then switch them out at Standing Bear Hostel.

Thanks for everyone's imput. Medicine Man, I put a lot of faith in what mountain folk say about weather, thanks for the info.
yes,the rei travel bag is great for summertime,59.00 bucks,1 lb 9 0z very compact,i love it,great hammock bag also,:cool: neo