PDA

View Full Version : Neoair and Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad question.

NCMedic
11-27-2012, 13:53
This is the first year I will be winter camping in the mountains (most of my winter camping in the past has been in milder conditions) and was wondering about the 1/8 inch verses the 3/16 inch Gossamer Thinlight pad and which I should be considering for an additional sleeping pad.

My gear at this time will be a full length Neoair a Western Mountaineering Versalite 10 degree bag, normal base layers and down sweater. I sleep a bit warm but realize I should probably add an additional pad for the neoair to add a bit of warmth. Am I going to see a huge amount of difference in warmth between the 2 sizes while carrying double the weight, or will the 1/8 inch pad be enough between the ground and my Neoair for warmth for these temperatures?

Thanks,

NCmedic

Don H
11-27-2012, 14:06
I used a 3/8' Thinlight pad from GG with a Neo and have slept well with temps in the mid 20's with a Feathered Friends 20* bag.
A while back we had a discussion here on wether it was better to put the foam under or on top of the pad. ThermaRest suggests, like you said, to put the foam under the Neo.

I just scored a Neo Xtherm (blem) from backcountry.com for $132.

NCMedic
11-27-2012, 15:56
Thanks for the tip on the xtherm pricing! As far as the original question. I am wondering if the extra 1/16 of an inch of foam will make a huge difference in the R factor of the pad. I really like the idea of a 2 ounce pad vrs a 4 ounce pad if the R value difference is minimal.

Blissful
11-27-2012, 17:21
FYI - Put the foam on top of your neo air, not below it. I found out it's much warmer that way. :)

prain4u
11-27-2012, 17:43
An old Army Sergeant used to say to us: "It is better to have it and not need it--than to need it and not have it!"

Thus, I guess if the difference is "just" two ounces--I would go with the thicker pad. The thicker pad certainly won't make you colder and it might even make you a bit warmer. I would also throw a piece of Tyvek under me. It would provide bit of a frost barrier and maybe a TINY bit extra R-Value. If you don't mind some extra pack weight (and if you are worried about an extra two ounces apparently you DO worry about weight) I might suggest placing one of those thicker/heavier "space blankets" (or even a reflective vehicle windshield screen) under all of your pads instead of the Tyvek (with the reflective side facing up).

Kerosene
11-27-2012, 17:57
Personally, I'd probably just go with the 1/8" pad atop the full-length NeoAir down to 20F.

The thicker pad is also quite a bit bulkier to pack.

Rocket Jones
11-27-2012, 18:41
Thin pad on top of NeoAir is definitely warmer.

Dogwood
11-27-2012, 22:38
Here's another approach that gives you greater versatilty according to different weather, gear kit scenarios, etc offering very slightly different wt carrying options. Get two 1/8" thick pads. Use one when winter conditions dictate and double that up to two pads, perhaps one under the NeoAir and one on top of the NeoAir when conditions dictate. That reasoning could also apply to getting both a thin(I think the thinnest CCF(EVO) hiking pad practical is about 1/8" thick) and a slightly thicker 3/16" or 1/4" thick one.

And, even though I'm an ULer and don't abandon UL principles even on winter treks you got to take things into context. It's 2 ozs, not exactly a deal breaker in itself on a trek, especially a winter trek. If you are that concerned about 2 oz in a CCF sleeping pad are you also that concerned with hauling one extra 2 oz nutritional bar or 2 oz of trail mix on winter treks too! Priorities need to be addressed too. On a COLD winter trek staying comfortably warm is probably a greater priority than saving 2 oz! Don't you think so?

skinewmexico
11-28-2012, 00:21
Neo XTherm at Eddie Bauer for $114, with free shipping. Or it was yesterday, at least.

bubonicplay
11-28-2012, 01:31
I believe 1/8th foam has an r value of .75, put it under your inflatable because it protects it.

10-K
11-28-2012, 07:07
Unless you're a really cold sleeper you won't need more than a regular Neoair with temps down to the teens. Well, at least I don't. I hike all year and never take more than my Neoair short.

garlic08
11-28-2012, 09:44
As an alternative, consider a piece of Reflectix duct insulation (http://www.homedepot.com/Reflectix/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ19n/R-100012574/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.ULYWNqxHRVI). It's cheap, light, durable, and works well in snow.