PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Aether 70 - too heavy?

lobotomized
11-27-2012, 18:11
Hey y'all, I'm planning on starting my thru-hike during the beginning of March, and I'm currently planning on taking my Aether 70. The only thing is, this pack is heavy! About 5 lbs! I also have a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus, but I've found it to be pretty fragile. I've taken my Mariposa on 2 climbing trips, and both times the lining started ripping on the straps, and I even had a branch rip into the actual pack itself. So, what do y'all think? Durability and weight, or deal with delicacy and shave off about 4 lbs?

DeerPath
11-28-2012, 14:22
Hey y'all, I'm planning on starting my thru-hike during the beginning of March, and I'm currently planning on taking my Aether 70. The only thing is, this pack is heavy! About 5 lbs! I also have a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus, but I've found it to be pretty fragile. I've taken my Mariposa on 2 climbing trips, and both times the lining started ripping on the straps, and I even had a branch rip into the actual pack itself. So, what do y'all think? Durability and weight, or deal with delicacy and shave off about 4 lbs?

Weight your Aether 70 on a postal scale first. I purchased an Aether 85 and it weighed 4.1 Lbs, not the 5.1 Lbs advertised. It was a great surprise.

lukabrazi
11-28-2012, 14:38
It doesn't sound like the Gg Mariposa would pull through the trip so that doesn't sound like a real option. I have an Aether 70 too. It's not what I use anymore but it was always a good pack. I guess for me I made the choice to switch to a lighter pack because it was my easiest big chunk of weight to drop. I guess it would depend on if you were in a position to buy a different pack or not.

lukabrazi
11-28-2012, 14:42
Another thought. If you are in weight category that makes the Mariposa a good option for you maybe Gossamer Gear would make some repairs and get that pack up to snuff for you.

FarmerChef
11-28-2012, 15:12
The 70 is a great pack under the right circumstances but it is also heavy. That said, I tried the Aether 70 but didn't like the fit or weight. I finally decided on a Jam 50 due to my needs and it's size has been all I need for 4 season hiking. I am a minimalist and that plays a huge part in making that pack work. Your preferences may vary. If you don't plan to go minimal then having a minimalist/very low weight pack with a heavy load will probably leave your back and shoulders sore and will wear out/blow out the pack much more quickly. There really is no "right" answer here other than to try some other packs out with your anticipated weight and see if you can find one that is lighter than the 70 but still feels comfortable.

Not knowing your anticipated base weight makes this a bit of educating guessing. Do you have an idea of how much you plan to carry?

TroutknuT
11-28-2012, 15:29
My osprey Aether 60 small, road well,great fit for me. Still more room than I needed. Will last for ever but no hip pockets, and heavy. Do some shake down hikes with your gear, then down size gear till your happy with comfort and safety. I just ordered a Zpack Arc Blast with hip belt pockets, light,water proof, and will have enough room for my gear. My Aether worked well on my first few shake down section hikes but after down sizing after each trip, I have my weight and volume way down from my starting pack weight. Yes I got to Neels gap with one clif bar and some jerky, but left with to much food.( rookie mistake) the shake down hike got rid of alot of fears... ie extra stuff.

lobotomized
11-28-2012, 16:23
Right now my base weight is ~20 lbs. I haven't accounted for the clothes I'll be wearing or if I decide to bring along a paperback book or something. My MAX base weight that I would even consider carrying is probably 25

Drybones
11-28-2012, 22:42

You will not regret any ounces you shave off when you hit the mountains, save all the weight you can. I had three good packs under 4 lbs but bought a Granite Gear Crown 60 at 2lb-2oz to save a pound, it was worth it. This pack is very durable also and pretty much water tight, and very comfortable.

johnnybgood
11-28-2012, 23:06
Osprey packs are really durable packs and are very popular on the trail amongst non UL types (me included). The 70 liter is a veeeery spacious pack that invites more "stuff" be packed to fill the void.
Go with the Osprey Kestrel 58 as you'll find it to have enough room for everything .

Dogwood
11-29-2012, 00:11
LOL. Oh how times and ways of thinking can change.

I started an AT thru with a new Osprey Aether 75 L(Osprey no longer makes the Aether 75 L), 22 lbs of food for six days, 4 1/2 lb 1 p double wall tent, and a ridiculously over wt, volumous and overrated temp rating Slumberjack sleeping bag. Now, it could possibly damage my brain if I thought about the characteristics of that sleeping bag and the level of my ignorance. UGH! I was so proud that I got the Aether at 1/3 the retail price at Campmoor. It had all the bells and whistles I new of at the time that could come in a backpack. It comfortably handled the wt and volume of my gear exceptionally well. And, the durabilty of the Aether 75 L was bomber. Could I have finished atop Mt Katahdin by continuing with this kit and daily avg wt of food. Maybe. Maybe not. By the time I got into Virginia I wasn't willing to attempt to though. IMO, I wisely needed to change my approach in many ways and this included my gear choices which were based on a then limited knowledge of gear and different hiking styles. I was ignorant but I was not arrogant. I humbled myself. I learned. The first thing I knew, and was willing to accept, was that I didn't know everything, and this was plainly obvious in regards to hiking. I think that's the beginning of wisdom - knowing that you don't, and never will, know everything about everything. Apply that thought to thru-hiking or hiking gear, hiking styles, etc. including picking out the so called "best" pack. My AT story isn't all that uncommon either! MANY MANY thru-hikers HAVE TO EVOLVE in regards to their hiking choices OR they don't complete their thru-hikes. My guess is the same will happen with you. You will evolve, beyond what you now are, and possibly even beyond what you might learn here on WB. Embrace it! By all means, put yourself, NOW, in the best place to acheive succcess BUT know it doesn't end there! Your continuing success will partly be a factor of your willingness to evolve. I thought I had the "perfect" pack for that thru in the beginning of that AT thru-hike and maybe I did, FOR ME, based on what I knew at the time. But times and ways of thinking change so it will be with you too.

slims
12-01-2012, 17:17
A 70 liter pack to carry 20 pounds of gear is unnecessary. Unless you're carrying a bulky synthetic sleeping bag or a ton of extra stuff you'll never fill that pack so you'll just be carrying a big heavy pack for no reason.

lobotomized
12-04-2012, 13:26
A 70 liter pack to carry 20 pounds of gear is unnecessary. Unless you're carrying a bulky synthetic sleeping bag or a ton of extra stuff you'll never fill that pack so you'll just be carrying a big heavy pack for no reason.

This is really what I was afraid of Slims. The only thing is, a brand new pack is going to run me another couple hundred bucks depending on what I get, and I still haven't bought my ideal tent or sleeping bag. First world problems

doobe01
12-05-2012, 13:31

I am taking the Osprey Exos 46. I dont know the exact weight but its about half as much as the Aether 70...

R Jay
12-05-2012, 14:22
I used the Osprey 70 for a Long Trail thru-hike this summer (272 miles). The pack was waaaay to big for my needs. I would cut down to a 50L.

magic_game03
12-06-2012, 17:05
You list Austin as your home town. There are 3 REI's there. Call them or look online for their calendar of events, then look for used gear sale. Go to it and you will most likely find an Atmos or Aether for about $40-50 bucks. you can also buy your tent and other gear there.

Stick with Osprey if you can. Awesome company, Awesome packs, I got three myself. but 70 liters is too heavy and too big. I mountaineer with a 65L Arcteryx Bora and I have to carry ice axe, shovel, crampons, snowshoes, 0 deg. bag, and extra winter clothes so you should be looking for something smaller. Having a smaller pack will help you determine what you really need so you can get rid of the rest AND it will fit you better so that the weight is centered better. Also, the way you said your base was 20 not including clothes makes me believe that your base is a little bit heavier.

slims
12-08-2012, 12:40
This is really what I was afraid of Slims. The only thing is, a brand new pack is going to run me another couple hundred bucks depending on what I get, and I still haven't bought my ideal tent or sleeping bag. First world problems
Honestly if you can't afford another pack then just roll with that one. Aside from the weight there's nothing wrong with it. Met this one guy this year named Smiley (the heavyweight champ) who was rocking a 70L pack and about 50lbs in it and he made it all the way. Hiked with a girl who had to get a new Kelty pack in Damascus. They sent her an 80L pack. She made it all the way. Check around for any deals on new packs or REI garage sales and what not and see if you can find something that won't break the bank. If not just go with the 70L.

Lobster2012
01-10-2013, 23:31
The Osprey Aether 70 is an excellent pack for a thru hike! I thru hiked in 2012 in 3 months and 21 days generally carrying 45-50 pounds, but at times I had over 60lbs. What can I say, I like to eat a lot. My food bag was heavier than most people's entire bags. I used a Gregory Baltoro 75 which is worthless garbage compared to the Aether. I broke the internal frame on the Baltoro twice (once during a 110 mile stretch from Gorham to Stratton, ME) and broke a load bearing strap in the hundred mile wilderness. In general, a load held in the aether feels weightless compared other the same load held in the Baltoro.

My friend (I lived in Maine) met me at Abol bridge with an Aether 70 and I hiked up Katahdin with that and went on 300 miles on the IAT through the rest of Maine, New Brunswick, and part of Quebec. The Aether was extremely comfortable, durable, and just all around was a perfect pack in my opinion.

If you plan to carry a respectable amount of weight get this pack!

bear bag hanger
01-11-2013, 08:43
Based on the info you've provided, neither pack will meet your needs. The Aether 70 is way too large and the Mariposa is not only a bit too light, from what you've described, it's already broken. You need a new (or used) pack, about 45 to 50 cu ft. Many, many good packs on the market. I'd start by looking at the Osprey Atmos 50 and the ULA Circuit, both in the range of $200 - $225. Also, give a look at the AARN packs (http://www.aarnpacks.com/), the front pockets they utilized have save my back for more years of backpacking. Just don't buy yet another too heavy or too light pack. Look at your real needs and buy accordingly.

bear bag hanger
01-11-2013, 08:50
On the other hand - if buying a new pack is out of the question, you've answered your own question. You have to go with the Aether 70 as your Mariposa is already broken. Even if the Mariposa was in good shape, it probably would not handle the weight you plan to put in it for the long term. A 20 to 25 base weight more or less equates to about a 35 to 40 lb pack by the time you add in water and food.

Mountaintop
01-11-2013, 10:00
You will not regret any ounces you shave off when you hit the mountains, save all the weight you can. I had three good packs under 4 lbs but bought a Granite Gear Crown 60 at 2lb-2oz to save a pound, it was worth it. This pack is very durable also and pretty much water tight, and very comfortable.

I love my granite gear pack. The thing is like a cadillac.

Duff
01-11-2013, 11:03
I started my thru in '09 w/ the 70. It was obvious that I was MUCH heavier that most others. I changed to a ULA Catalyst in Damascus and couldn't be any happier. I used the Catalyst in '11 on a SOBO and it only confirmed the choice. Lately I've moved to the UL camp, but I keep looking longingly at the Catalyst fot the upcoming '13 hike.

colorado_rob
01-11-2013, 12:49
I own an Aether 85, and yes it is "heavy" (I think after I chopped a couple things, the final comes in right at 5 pounds), BUT I also think the Aether series of packs carry weight as well as any packs I've owned, meaning they are very "efficient" for carrying heavier total loads. I own an old Dana Design Terraplane, 7.5 pounds, no more comfortable than the Aether.

I used my Aether 85 to carry upwards of 70 pounds on a Denali expedition last year. (16 days of food & fuel, technical gear, frigid condition clothing, etc). That all being said, I could not imagine using an Aether for the AT, even the 70 liter, but we all have our Modus Operandi, and if yours is to carry 40-50 pounds on a regular basis, the Aether would be a fine choice.

lobotomized
01-11-2013, 19:40
So, I've managed to scrape together enough for a new pack. I was eyeballing the Osprey Exos 58 but from what people are saying, it seems like it may start falling apart with consistent loads of 30-35lbs. Moutaintop and Drybones, I saw online that the "Max Carry Weight" of the Granite Gear Crown 60 is supposedly 35lbs, but I was wondering how much weight y'all carried with it and how it worked out? As of now I've got my eyes on one of the Atmos series. I was looking at the 50, but the max carry weight of 35lbs kind of scares me as that was the Mariposa's supposed max weight as well.

jeffmeh
01-11-2013, 20:11
Check out the ULA Circuit. It handles 35 lbs. without issue and is a great piece of gear.

Del Q
01-12-2013, 10:06
I bought myself an Osprey Exos 58 for the Holidays, have been wearing it on hikes a few times each week, adding 5lbs per week, REALLY IMPRESSED. I was looking for more total support than my ULA, have plenty of back and hip pain issues, this seems to be helping having a "beefier" frame.

Pretty light, ton of cool features..............next Section hike this Spring will tell the tale.

Sounds like you will be buying a new pack for your journey...............one of my mandatory items are pockets on the hip belt, really handy. That eliminated many companies right there for me.