PDA

View Full Version : Advice for GSMNP section Hike for newbie

LostandFound
11-27-2012, 22:57
New to long distance hiking. Making the transition from Popup Camper camping to now having more interest in hiking/solo camping. I would like to take about a week to section hike GSMNP around springtime. When do the Thru Hikers usually pass through the GSMNP? I would like to avoid that time. Thanks.

MuddyWaters
11-27-2012, 23:02
Around springtime.
Seriously, about April 1-Mid May would be the peak
You also still have chance for snow in smokies then.
GSMNP will always be busy , but might be better to wait for late May-Early June.
Or sept-Oct.
Summer is cool enough in high elevations, but water can get scarcer.

fredmugs
11-28-2012, 07:58
Since you're new make sure you learn the regulations relative to getting shelter reservations and however they plan on charging you next year. Since GSMNP forces you to stick to your itinerary I would recommend you picking another section to hike until you have a better understanding of your abilities.

joshuasdad
11-28-2012, 10:04
Since you're new make sure you learn the regulations relative to getting shelter reservations and however they plan on charging you next year. Since GSMNP forces you to stick to your itinerary I would recommend you picking another section to hike until you have a better understanding of your abilities.

+1 on that. I would start in NC south of the Smokies. Trail is generally easier than GA and the Smokies, just as scenic, plus there are places to bailout if necessary. I was really anxious about the 32 mile section between Davenport Gap and Newfound Gap, as it is extremely inconvenient to bailout there in some locations (note: a few weeks ago, a thru-hiker was extracted by helicopter from that Smokies section).

Rain Man
11-28-2012, 13:47
I hiked the GSMNP section in the Spring a few years ago and ran into lots of thru-hikers. Many start March 1st, and the bulk of starts continue up to about the middle of April or so. It takes most hikers about two weeks to get to the GSMNP. So, you can plan accordingly when guessing about the "bubble."

However, as you'll need and have reservations in the GSMNP shelters, it's not as if you'll be the one bumped out into the cold and rain, though you should carry some form of shelter, just in case.

I agree with those who said it might be better to hike another section (with road crossings) first, to get a feel for your abilities, speed, and to tweak your gear, etc. Any section in NC or TN would be good for that. But if you still wish to do the GSMNP first, by all means go for it.

Rain Man

LostandFound
11-28-2012, 22:02
Thanks for the advice. I may aim for a 100 mile hike in the GSMNP+ in late May, and do a bunch of shorter hikes before then. I will explore the idea of hiking the NC section south of GSMNP though.

ParkRat09
11-28-2012, 23:02
Thanks for the advice. I may aim for a 100 mile hike in the GSMNP+ in late May, and do a bunch of shorter hikes before then. I will explore the idea of hiking the NC section south of GSMNP though.

Not a bad idea like everyone has said, however, in either direction in the Smokies Newfound Gap is about halfway and would be an easy spot for someone to pick u up or grab a hitchhike to somewhere else in the park or even like Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. I did this section a few months ago and it was great. I live very close to the park and am super familiar with it so if u have any questions just holler!