PDA

View Full Version : What clothes to bring

Libertyguy
11-27-2012, 23:27
Im shooting for an early april start date. I understand the types of clothing I need to bring, synthetics and wool, and that I need to layer. But how much layering and insulation do I actually need? Right now the only clothing that I know for sure is going are my Pat. Capalines, Marmot Precip, and salomon Synaps. I have been looking at the Arcteryx Atom LT hoodie for insulation but is that enough? Will I need a microfleece or perhaps a full 300g fleece or down if the temps drop? Im just wondering how many layers I need to actually consider and if a single hardshell is fine.

Another question I have is on pants. Some people iv heard say buy convertables, other people say buy rain pants with cap1 and shorts. What do you guys suggest. For convertables I was looking at mountain khaki granite creeks. Do I need rain pants?

MuddyWaters
11-27-2012, 23:57
But how much layering and insulation do I actually need?

I think that will depend on how warm you want to be when not moving.
You can still see some pretty low temps, and snow thru the smokies

I would have a light fleece, and also a "real" insulating layer for camp and sleeping
Also at least heavy wt long johns or fleece pants for camp and sleeping too.

garlic08
11-28-2012, 10:31
Some good advice thrown around here is that you should be able to wear all your clothing at the same time. Everything should work together as layers. Of course, this needs some experience to make it work. For instance, never wear your insulating layers when you're sweating. It's amazing how fast you'll wet them out, and in the southern Appalachians you'll never get them dry again. Your "puffy layer" stays in the pack when you're climbing. (I kept a dry jersey handy at the top of the pack in a ziplock for welcome breaks in lean-tos.) It's also possible, in some conditions, to dry out a few items of clothing while sleeping (like hat, gloves, socks). Stuff that won't dry out like shoes, I put under my sleeping bag in a plastic bag so they don't freeze overnight. This often means putting on wet clothing in the morning, which is hard, but you warm them up with exertion immediately (assuming your rested, hydrated, and well-fed--this is as important as clothing). If you put on fresh spare clothes, you'll just have two sets of wet clothing very soon.

I started my AT hike in early April, too. I hiked through two spring storms with blowing snow and temps in the teens. The only serious insulation I brought besides my 15F bag was a down vest. I never hiked in the vest, and only wore it once, but it was nice to have as a back-up to the bag. I did not carry a fleece because they're heavy and bulky. I used a Marmot Driclime instead, with a Marmot Essence rain jacket. Under that was a nylon trekking shirt and two poly jerseys, one thin and one thick. I wore non-convertible pants the whole way, carried rain pants, no long undies. That was fine.

Try getting some experience in cold wet weather this winter and bring what works for you.

Of course, you could always pay attention to weather forecasts and bail out to town when the weather comes in like that. Lots of hikers do that.

Datto
11-28-2012, 11:59
You'll likely be pretty warm while you're hiking and carrying that backpack, even in Georgia -- it's only when you've stopped hiking will you start getting cold.

On my northbound AT thru-hike I regularly was hiking in a long-sleeved T-shirt down to around 45*F in the southern Appalachians. You would be amazed at how much heat your body puts out when you're carrying that backpack up a Georgia "hill". So if you've started to get cold, just keep hiking or put on a jacket for a while while you're sitting around (say, in a shelter taking a break).

As far as clothes to take on an AT thru-hike -- most AT thru-hikers start out carrying way too many clothes (which they soon figure out they don't need and send home once they start carrying all those clothes up the Georgia mountains). You really only need one of anything for clothes except socks. One pants, one pair of shorts, one T-shirt, one balaclava, one puffy insulated jacket, one rain jacket, one pair of gloves, two pairs of socks.

Be sure to take along a small container of Body Glide -- you will be amazed at how much your clothes and that pack will rub your skin raw when you're going up the mountains soaking wet (you'll be wet most of the time for the first month or two and the final month or two of your AT thru-hike). Also, something most people don't figure out until they get to the Trail -- your hiking shoes will likely swell in the rain and begin to chafe your feet so remember to bring along whatever product has worked well for you when you were out on training hikes this winter and you got blisters.

Also, remember to bring a headnet. It's lightweight and you'll be glad you did when you reach North Carolina and the gnats start buzzing your face all day long.

Here's a link to my Datto's AT Thru-Hiking Tips that may answer a few questions you may have about AT thru-hiking:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?181-Datto-s-AT-Thru-Hiking-Tips

Datto

swjohnsey
11-28-2012, 21:36
Precip top and bottom, 100 wt fleece top and bottom, poly shorts and long sleeve T-shirt, balacava, mittens.

prain4u
11-28-2012, 23:14
When it comes to convertible pants vs. shorts, I think part of it is personal preference (and maybe where you are hiking on the trail). I think age plays a role in it too--for some people. I, personally don't like hiking in shorts in most terrain--and neither does my hiking partner (we are both in our early 50s). Neither one of us likes walking through tall grass and other foliage in shorts. We don't like the way that grass, brush and bugs feel on bare legs. So, we both tend to wear convertible pants. (That being said, on warm days--on trails that will be wide and foliage free at leg level--I will hike in shorts. Hence, I wear convertible pants and make them into shorts on those rare occasions when I feel like hiking in shorts. )

MuddyWaters
11-28-2012, 23:27
Some people think convertible pants are kind of dorky. I actually do too.
But I wear them anyway.
Mainly for the pockets. I like cargo style pocket to hold several things I want close at hand.
Otherwise, I probably would just wear UL running shorts
I do like just zipping my pant legs off in the morning after 20 min on the trail though after i warm up.