PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Hanger Thru Hike question.

lkn4air
11-27-2012, 23:37
Anyone that has done the thru with a Hammock. How many times and where did you have to go to ground because of lack of good trees?
Thanks

HYOH

Darwin13
11-28-2012, 22:40
ive never thru'd but to save you time, this question has been asked a billion times. The answer is never, there are always good tree's except MAYBE in the whites. This is what is usually answered.

lkn4air
11-29-2012, 01:10
ive never thru'd but to save you time, this question has been asked a billion times. The answer is never, there are always good tree's except MAYBE in the whites. This is what is usually answered.

thanks

hyoh

Red Hat
11-29-2012, 07:54
hundreds of us have done it with a hammock. I never "had" to go to ground. In the whites, I used the huts... The rest of the time I was in my hammock, a hostel, or motel. I only had one unpleasant night before I got my winter Speer.

medestar
12-03-2012, 18:15
If you have not already, check out http://www.hammockforums.net , they should be able to give you good answers also.

tammons
12-03-2012, 23:36
Go to youtube and look up Loner2012AT.
He just finished with a SUL Hammock setup.
He video recorded his entire trip. Something like 126 videos.
He explains his gear in #20 and #58.

hikehunter
12-13-2012, 01:36
tammons ....has it right "loner on the AT" had a good setup. I am currently designing and making my own hammock set-up... I plan to hsce a ripstop nylon outer shell with a pocket for a self-inflating pad. then a upper cover with velcro attchment points. plan to make a video later...

tammons
12-13-2012, 08:31
One thing I would definitely change on loners setup is the hammock for sure for me.
The nano is just way to small for me but to each his own. It seemed okay for him.
I think the nano is like 4' x 9'

A dbl 1.1 5x10 would be a lot more comfortable with some weight gain and cheap to build. The nano weighs around 5 oz just for the fabric and a 5x10 dbl 1.1 would weigh about 12oz. A dbl M50 5x10 would weigh 7.7oz but the verdict is not totally in on M50 hammocks.

With a dbl layer you can stuff a pad in and it just feels better and safer to me.

The tadpole is 11' long so that should work for a 10' hammock but tight.

I prefer climashield quilts too so that would be another swap and more bulky
but probably lighter.

If I was going to drop some $ on a pack I would get an arc blast that has more volume and lighter
but could handle bulkier quilts etc.

I would also carry a 2.5 oz GG 1/8 pad. I like that one and double it up for my feet.

Still the thing I liked most about his setup is the simplicity, it is fairly cheap, and he just didnt carry a lot of stuff.
Very simple setup with no BS.

Loner must have a furnace body core, since all he took for insulation was a MB UL vest.
Never heard him talk about bugs either, and he had no netting that I saw.

At any rate a good and entertaining bunch of videos.

bear bag hanger
12-13-2012, 11:10
I did a thru hike with a HH hammock in 2004, went to ground twice. Both times did it just to prove to myself I could do it and both times everything got soaked with condensation. In the Whites, mostly stayed at the huts, but they also have a few designated camp sites where I was able to hang without any problems. Found the caretakers to be very helpful in finding spots where I could hang - it helped them free up space for the tent people.

tammons
12-13-2012, 11:28
I am contemplating a flip flop setup, IE hammock or ground.

A bridge hammock works like a dream with an inflatable pad. If it was set up right with a sewn in tent like mesh, you could sit it in a Cuben tub floor
under a tarp and almost have a tent like setup. Fairly heavy though if you build it to last. It has been done at 10 oz though with a single layer 1.1 and using
GG LT4 poles as spreader bars.

I have the materials to build one, but mine will be more like 24-28 oz with bars. Too heavy for a single 1.1.

slowfeet
12-20-2012, 19:37
I used a WBBB DL 1.1 with Superfly for 1700 miles.... for the last 500 I bought my first tent setup up.(along with bag and sleeping pad).$$
Never went or had to go to ground while I had my hammock...didn't have a pad, so, it really wasn't an option.

Went with the tent because it was starting to get too cold to pack up in the mornings and sitting in the hammock at night was pretty chilly while cooking/etc. (draft/wind under tarp). If I had more winter hammocking experience, it wouldn't have been an issue. I'll probably be getting some booties to keep feet/legs warm while sitting in hammock.

tammons
12-21-2012, 11:00
A good solution is a plain 10x12 or a zpacks hammock tarp $$$ and ultralight with doors. Pitch either to the ground and close the end. http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hammock_tarps.shtml If you go bridge hammock those work real well with a pad but they are heavier..